Diesel Heaters

decoy1979

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of diesel heaters? I'm looking to purchase one, there looks to be plenty on Amazon/Ebay etc of Chinese origin and just wondered if anyone has purchased one and if so how they'd got on with it. 

I'm interested in hearing about reliability, durability, heat output and general perfornance issues.

There are a number for sale under £100, of various brands, which all look identical.

When compared to the traditional (webasto and the like) costing many times as much, they are sometime's indistinguishable. If you buy one i strongly suggest you use a co2 monitor and buy quality exhaust pipe. The silencers do little to quieten the induction noise but keeping inlet and outlet separated is crucial. I would also upgrade the fuel supply pipe from plastic to metal. 

18 hours ago, Marccus said:

Any recommendations?   Looking at getting one for the garage but lots of mixed reviews.

Depends how much you want to spend, both of mine have just been the cheapest I could find on eBay. One was listed as spares or repair for £50, it’s worked fine. 
Middle of the road seems to be lavaner or planar heaters, both get good write ups but I have never seen one.

Top of the line would be erberspacher or webasto. But don’t expect much change out of a grand for one of these. 

22 hours ago, manton said:

A very interesting discussion I have had my eye on these for some time.I have one question do they require a 12 of 24 volt battery or are there mains ones or could I get or build a 12 v power supply.

Most people run them off a small 12v car battery and trickle charger/ solar panel. The reason is that these heaters need to go through a cool down cycle. If they don’t it can cook the mother board. So if you run off a mains powered 12v supply and your heater is running and there is a power cut it can wreck your heater. 
That being said, if you don’t get many power cuts then a mains powered 12v supply will probably be fine. I got a x box one power brick for free off Facebook marketplace. So that is currently powering the heater in my garage. 
If you want an all bells and whistles set up, you can run a mains operated 12v power supply with an uninterruptible power supply. This is my next move, as I have a UPS sitting at work which I just need a 12v 7ah battery for. 

• 2 weeks later...