Yes, it's buckwheat!

kitchrat

Further to my earlier posting, it's been confirmed as buckwheat, which explains why they have "started on the rape" so early this year and also why they are "helicoptering" down into the still-flourishing crop, as they do when on wheat, rather than gliding into the the wheel marks.

image.png.6498431c7bfa24b0f7bc8c01dbe789ee.png

My farmers are, initially, happy with this, thinking it is diverting the pigeons from their rape, but then realize it is just getting them into the habit of feeding in that location and worse things are yet to come.

Just to be the devil's advocate, can I legally shoot them  (the pigeons!) when they are not actually feeding on a crop of value? (tongue in cheek) 

Cheers!!

39 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Further to my earlier posting, it's been confirmed as buckwheat, which explains why they have "started on the rape" so early this year and also why they are "helicoptering" down into the still-flourishing crop, as they do when on wheat, rather than gliding into the the wheel marks.

image.png.6498431c7bfa24b0f7bc8c01dbe789ee.png

My farmers are, initially, happy with this, thinking it is diverting the pigeons from their rape, but then realize it is just getting them into the habit of feeding in that location and worse things are yet to come.

Just to be the devil's advocate, can I legally shoot them  (the pigeons!) when they are not actually feeding on a crop of value? (tongue in cheek) 

Cheers!!

Hi. 

Yes it's still crop protection. 

That's it they've been doing trials for a while. Most of it has died of recently around here but where it has thrived the pigeons are feeding around the outside of the crop. 

One farm has sown lupins in with the rape and that will be really good when it seeds and the pigeons find it. 

Whether it will reduce the flee beetle remains to be seen. 

images (2).jpeg

Edited by mellors
Extra info

On 10/12/2023 at 11:39, old'un said:

Yep,

282431396_buckwheat.jpg.5ec180ef5b6020620d7433b2e8939bee.jpg

That's quite small to me and yes it's the stuff I found in the crops. On another occasion, the seeds were much more like small wheat seeds, which put me in the right direction. My contacts from Agrii and farmers fresh out of collage assure me these are just different varieties. Cheers, Kitchrat

Now, the question remains, will the buckwheat actually attract pigeons to the field, where they will continue to eat the crop once the seed has been consumed?

8 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

That's quite small to me and yes it's the stuff I found in the crops. On another occasion, the seeds were much more like small wheat seeds, which put me in the right direction. My contacts from Agrii and farmers fresh out of collage assure me these are just different varieties. Cheers, Kitchrat

Now, the question remains, will the buckwheat actually attract pigeons to the field, where they will continue to eat the crop once the seed has been consumed?

I have never seen them eating the plant, seeds yes, will they come back for more? I think you already know the answer to that one. :)