RFD -RFD transfer (private sale/purchase)

steve_b_wales

Regarding the above, for those who don't know, the correct way of doing a transfer is that the buyer sends his/her certificate to the seller, the seller fills in the details on the purchasers certificate, and gives this with the firearm to the RFD. The RFD then sends the firearm/certificate to the receiving RFD who then completes the transaction.

I know that in the past it was done differently, with the RFD sending the firearm to another RFD and then they add the firearm details onto the buyers certificate. I, like many other's have done this in the past. My local RFD will NOT send any firearm to another RFD without the purchasers certificate completed correctly and given to them with the firearm. 

I offered a FREE .410 shotgun but the person who was interested stated that he would not send me his certificate, and that he usually just goes to his RFD and sorts it out there.

I'm not sure about posting certificate with the gun? I thought the seller posted it back to the buyer and just presented it when they go to collect, that's how I do it

Once you are happy with the person not sure why some get so jumpy about posting certificate, after all the police post certificates out

3 minutes ago, button said:

Once you are happy with the person not sure why some get so jumpy about posting certificate, after all the police post certificates out

Maybe because it has your address and a list of guns on the premises 🤷‍♂️

You may trust the person you are sending it to (you may not), but they may not be the person that ends up with it.

Did this less than a month ago. Asked my RFD how he wanted to do it, and he told me buyer sends me his ticket. I fill it in then take it and the gun to RFD, whom takes down the guns details and sends it to buyers RFD. 
He advised me against sending buyers ticket with gun, so I sent it separately recorded next day delivery. 
RFD charged me £35 and no problems. 
It’s the first time I’ve done it in this manner admittedly, but I’ve yet to hear of a gun or a ticket gone missing in the post or falling into the wrong hands as a result of posting it. 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Did this less than a month ago. Asked my RFD how he wanted to do it, and he told me buyer sends me his ticket. I fill it in then take it and the gun to RFD, whom takes down the guns details and sends it to buyers RFD. 
He advised me against sending buyers ticket with gun, so I sent it separately recorded next day delivery. 
RFD charged me £35 and no problems. 
It’s the first time I’ve done it in this manner admittedly, but I’ve yet to hear of a gun or a ticket gone missing in the post or falling into the wrong hands as a result of posting it. 🤷‍♂️

my mate had to do this a week before xmass exactly as Scully described  

44 minutes ago, button said:

I'm not sure about posting certificate with the gun? I thought the seller posted it back to the buyer and just presented it when they go to collect, that's how I do it

The only way (twice) I did it was to send the certificate with the firearm, albeit it was sealed in an envelope.

40 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

You may trust the person you are sending it to (you may not), but they may not be the person that ends up with it.

If I have the 'purchasers' valid certificate and enter the details of the sale, then give this to the RFD to send with the firearm, when the purchaser calls to collect the firearm, he/she should match the photo on the certificate. To me, it seems foolproof.

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

The only way (twice) I did it was to send the certificate with the firearm, albeit it was sealed in an envelope.

If I have the 'purchasers' valid certificate and enter the details of the sale, then give this to the RFD to send with the firearm, when the purchaser calls to collect the firearm, he/she should match the photo on the certificate. To me, it seems foolproof.

Agreed, I was just answering why some may get jumpy about sending their cert in the post. Post does get lost or end up at the wrong address. 

The police want it done this way, so it is the way it should be done.

28 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Agreed, I was just answering why some may get jumpy about sending their cert in the post. Post does get lost or end up at the wrong address. 

The police want it done this way, so it is the way it should be done.

I don't know if a certificate can be sent back seperately to the buyer, although I can't see why not, it's just that sending it securely with a firearm would be less chance of it getting lost. I've send registered/signed for items before and, despite the items being signed for, they never arrived at their intended destination. Also, I was told by my RFD that if I don't fill in the details on the purchasers certificate, then they have to list the firearm on their ledger before sending it out and accordingly, would incur further costs to them/the purchaser. :good:

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

And like I say the police post it out, and again it may end up with someone else also, but I realise each to there own and may not wish to, me personally, life’s too short to worry about something that may or more likely not happen

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

It may be me but I think your rfd is wrong on that