Storms have passed new years eve -back in the game

I decided a new years eve foray was worth a shot given the weather had ,albeit temporarily ,reverted to cold and calm. Making my way along the long field bordering the forestry edge mid afternoon bathed in lovely winters sunlight ,ice puddles still crackling under foot i managed to spook a couple of roe grazing in the felled timber belt but of course not being daft they vanished quickly ,their white backsides darting left and right into the deeper forest and that was that. Pity ,i thought, as it may prove to be the case   that my sitty spot a hundred yards further up the wood edge may now be a waste of time yet again after the last few trips here gave me nothing but sore legs and strained eyes ,in fact  nothing but gales and rain. Sat on a little chubby and surprisingly comfortable log ,tripod on its lowest setting, i waited until the sun went round some more. Wood Pigeons began gliding in around  the firs in good numbers their concerted wings clapping in panic every once in a while suggesting that i was not alone, there was most likely a roe or two still in the area. i waited a few minutes listening to the occasional pigeon dropping in before concluding i had , perhaps, been too optimistic and decided to glass ,one last time ,across the felled timbers towards the forestry belt .A doe! Grazing happily , unaware of my presence, a good 150 yards off and right by the edging line of standing timber. i try to avoid a shot like this in case the beast manages to run into the wood in the low light .It would mean a search after dark .With no dog and it being new years eve i felt reluctant to take the shot as it would mean no new years snifters for me and a trip back out on the 1st to search the area. She grazed some more ,changing position going this way and that, but always meandering to the left and offering occasional broadside shots  so i decided to go for it if this continued to happen. ,i took the chance of raising each tripod leg one by one until i could stand up enabling me to see over the clear felled brush and there she was still feeding !. My lens continually fogging up i had to wipe it more than once. She moved to the left one more time along a furrow with a good solid backstop and then stopped ,frozen, for a few seconds , broadside on, offering a perfect shot .Now or not at all. i took the shot .The smoke from the round made visibility dire for a few seconds due to the creeping mist and icy dampness in the air. I could see nothing and i heard nothing .Smoke had curled out of the moderator  ,like an exhaling pipe smoker  and had visually obscured everything just after the shot had been taken. After a good 5 minute search of the wood edge, perhaps 10 feet in where i assumed she had made a run  ,i concluded she was in deeper and i would indeed have to return the following day. nightmare! I walked out of the standing firs and wandered over to the forked tree i knew she had  passed seconds before i had taken the shot and there she was. She had dropped on the spot like a sack of wheat. My assumption of her running a few meters was way off the mark. Goes to show, trust your gun and above all else--trust yourself! I dragged the carcass off the felled scrub and sat back for a few moments whilst the pigeons clattered about in protest. Not a bad result. You gotta love a nice Steyr .243 with a habicht 6x42. No need for anything bigger for me personally.

May be an image of deer

All reactions:

Edited by bishop

1 hour ago, bishop said:
I decided a new years eve foray was worth a shot given the weather had ,albeit temporarily ,reverted to cold and calm. Making my way along the long forestry edge mid afternoon in lovely winters sunlight ,ice puddles still crackling under foot i managed to spook a couple of roe grazing in the felled timber belt but of course not being daft they vanished into the deeper forest and that was that. Pity ,i thought, as that may prove to be the case that my sitty spot a hundred yards further up the wood edge may now be a waste of time again after the last few trips here gave me nothing but sore legs and strained eyes ,in fact  nothing but gales and rain. Sat on a little chubby and surprisingly comfortable log ,tripod on its lowest setting, i waited until the sun went round some more. Wood Pigeons began dropping in the firs in good numbers their concerted wings clapping in panic once in a while suggesting that i was not alone, there was most likely a roe or two still in the area. i waited a few minutes listening to the occasional pigeon dropping in before concluding i had , perhaps, been too optimistic and decided to glass ,one last time ,across the felled timbers towards the forestry belt .A doe! Grazing happily , unaware of my presence, a good 150 yards off and right by the edging line of standing timber. i try to avoid a shot like this in case the beast manages to run into the wood in the low light .It would mean a search after dark .With no dog and it being new years eve i felt reluctant to take the shot as it would mean no new years snifters for me and a trip back out on the 1st to search the area. She grazed some more ,changing position this way and that, but always meandering to the left and offering occasional broadside shots  so i decided to go for it if this continued to happen. ,i took the chance of raising each tripod leg one by one until i could stand up enabling me to see over the clear felled brush and there she was still feeding !. My lens continually fogging up i had to wipe it more than once. She moved to the left one more time along a furrow with a good solid backstop and then stopped ,frozen, for a few seconds , broadside on, offering a perfect shot .Now or not at all. i took the shot .The smoke from the round made visibility dire for a few seconds due to the creeping mist and icy dampness. I could see nothing and i heard nothing .Smoke had curled out of the moderator  ,like an exhaling pipe smoker  and had visually obscured everything just after the shot had been taken. After a good 5 minute search of the wood edge, perhaps 10 feet in where i assumed she had made a run  ,i concluded she was in deeper and i would indeed have to return the following day. nightmare! I walked out of the standing firs and wandered over to the forked tree i knew she had  passed seconds before i had taken the shot and there she was. She had dropped on the spot like a sack of wheat. My assumption of her running a few meters was way off the mark. Goes to show, trust your gun and above all else--trust yourself! I dragged the carcass off the felled scrub and sat back for a few moments whilst the pigeons clattered about in protest. Not a bad result. You gotta love a nice Steyr .243 with a habicht 6x42. No need for anything bigger for me personally.

May be an image of deer

All reactions:

Brilliant write up.