BASC January 2024 podcast - voluntary move away from lead shot for live quarry shooting

28 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’ve had a very similar response from the shoots that I have been on 

a few more than you and from Devon Dorset Yorkshire Lincolnshire and Cumbria 

on each day’s shooting we have asked if there are any cartridge restrictions 

the only restriction we have experienced are fibre wad please and don’t shoot wildfowl unless you have non toxic 

Likewise.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scale of the proposed changes is large and far reaching and seemingly not proven to be proportionate to lead shot's impact on non wetland areas. There seems to be  little quantified information showing the gains to be achieved by a blanket lead shot ban weighed up against the impact on "game" shooting and the negative aspects of non toxic shot use ie confined range, damage to game and unsuitability of steel in older game guns and expense in the case of tts and bismuth. 

23 minutes ago, Konor said:

The scale of the proposed changes is large and far reaching and seemingly not proven to be proportionate to lead shot's impact on non wetland areas. There seems to be  little quantified information showing the gains to be achieved by a blanket lead shot ban weighed up against the impact on "game" shooting and the negative aspects of non toxic shot use ie confined range, damage to game and unsuitability of steel in older game guns and expense in the case of tts and bismuth. 

And seems BASC have no argument against a blanket Lead ban, when their representatives are making statements like this -

12 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

that it matters not to the birds what shotgun fired the lead shot that they ate and died from. 

And on an open forum nonetheless.

Edited by Newbie to this

20 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

And seems BASC have no argument against a blanket Lead ban, when their representatives are making statements like this -

And on an open forum nonetheless.

I agree. The situation is almost surreal 

I have removed another post from this topic, and having considered it for a while I think it's time to close it now. A lot has been talked about (some areas many times) but things have become personal at times and this is not OK.

I appreciate there are some strong feelings, and in general we try and let topics flow. But having run for 12 pages, I don't think progress is now being made and I just don't feel another 12 pages would help.

I would point out that this isn't a BASC forum and whilst representatives do post on here, I'm not sure this is the right avenue to instigate change, although clearly the comments are read, and hopefully they will be considered.