Fibre wad cartridge - but not plastic free

The clay ground I shoot at is a fibre only ground and I’ve been using Empire cartridge fibre carts thinking they are plastic free.

I’ve cut up one of the carts ( to use as a weight in the buttstock ) and found that the fibre wad has a plastic film on one end and a 6mm thick plastic disc between the powder and fibre wad.  

How can this be classed as a ‘fibre’ cartridge?  Or have I got this wrong?

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

If it has a plastic disc or "obturator" then IMHO no it is not a fibre wad. The shiny film on the end of the wad is neither here nor there. The obturator disc may be unwelcome. I'd ask the ground.

thanks for the reply, you’ve confirmed my thoughts.  

I’ll be checking with the ground before using anymore, luckily only 300 left so not too much lost if they say no.  Won’t be using them on my rough shoot either just feels like littering..

Try to cut the plastic 6mm disc and see if it has any fibres in it as some very highly compressed cards can be as hard as plastic ,  Empire are saying "claims its compostable HemiSEAL gas seal" I cannot find any details about this.

Edited by Andy H

Gamebore have similar (Quad seal) and again is compostable but only only in commercial composting heap.

An industrially compostable (which meets the standard EN13432) plastic undergoes at least 90% biodegradation within 6 months in an industrial facility in the presence of oxygen, microorganisms and high temperatures (50– 60°C).

19 hours ago, Andy H said:

Try to cut the plastic 6mm disc and see if it has any fibres in it as some very highly compressed cards can be as hard as plastic ,  Empire are saying "claims its compostable HemiSEAL gas seal" I cannot find any details about this.

Definetly plastic.  

Empire’s claims are ridiculous, never going to decompose in the open, possibly in an industrial composter but not many of those knocking about on a shooting ground.  I’m going to throw some in my ‘hot composter’ at the allotment and see how many years they last.  Mentioned it to the guy who runs the rough shoot and he’s happy for me to finish them off as long as I don’t keep buying them to use on the shoot.

On 28/01/2024 at 08:22, Stonepark said:

Gamebore have similar (Quad seal) and again is compostable but only only in commercial composting heap.

An industrially compostable (which meets the standard EN13432) plastic undergoes at least 90% biodegradation within 6 months in an industrial facility in the presence of oxygen, microorganisms and high temperatures (50– 60°C).

Quad seals dont need composting, they are water soluble and dissapear fairly quickly outside. Seen quite a few in various stages of degrading where I pick up, they dont hang around for long.

I've got a couple of slabs of Fiocchi 28 gauge cart that I thought were fibre but it looks like they have some sort of plastic driving wad. I  don't know if it is degradable or not and under what conditions. At present I'm hand loading full fibre 28s so the factories can hold in stock until I  find out or go to clay grounds where they allow plastics.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/01/2024 at 10:57, shotmaker said:

Quad seals dont need composting, they are water soluble and dissapear fairly quickly outside. Seen quite a few in various stages of degrading where I pick up, they dont hang around for long.

we recently tested a few seals , gamebore lasted around 2 days before it turned into a gooey liquid mess and then disapeared , hull hydrowad is still there now from november ,  recently saw that they are now testing seaweed!!