Living in France

armsid

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Quality of life is different to everyone as we all like / prioritise different things. 

For many, having disposable income left after paying everything and having time / enjoyable experiences is a good measure. 

It’s a bit easier to have enjoyable experiences abroad as you can go out in nature / the sea etc without paying ££. 

It’s not quite the same taking your kids sea swimming when it’s 2c outside in the UK. 🤣🤣

Bargain loving Brits in the sun is always a good watch I find it quite amusing. They’re not living lavish lives but are living in Benidorm and similar areas on a low budget but the quality of life they have often exceeds what they’d have if they’d stayed in the UK. 

Shopping significantly cheaper, booze, meals out, entertainment, weather is nicer so you can enjoy the outdoors (which is free). One lad commented its so cheap to eat out he never cooks 🤣

I bet many of them been deeply impacted by Brexit etc though! 

I don’t know what the circumstances are like now, but I’ve known quite a few folk who’ve left for France and also Spain, all of whom have returned to the UK when in need of the NHS. 

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Look carefully at the French tax system if you are seriously thinking of going there.  There are a number of differences to UK - in having a 'wealth' tax, inheritance tax starting quite low and prescriptive rules on who gets the inheritance.

The old big difference was that under French inheritance law you couldn't disinherit your children and there was also an obligation, I think, to provide for a spouse. As JOHN UK said you really really do need current and up to date advice on that. It is very different from the UK. There was a recent case in France as to if a will made in the UK trumped French inheritance law rights of possible beneficiaries that had been ignored by the UK made will.

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

The old big difference was that under French inheritance law you couldn't disinherit your children and there was also an obligation, I think, to provide for a spouse. As JOHN UK said you really really do need current and up to date advice on that. It is very different from the UK. There was a recent case in France as to if a will made in the UK trumped French inheritance law rights of possible beneficiaries that had been ignored by the UK made will.

The reason I raised it is because someone I know who lives in France and has no children, is apparently unable to leave his property to his nieces and nephews (who live in the UK).  Not sure the full story as I don't know him well, but it has caused him a lot of grief and worry.  It seems basically the state decides who inherits, not your will.  In his case it's not a huge estate, but the prescriptive law still applies.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The reason I raised it is because someone I know who lives in France and has no children, is apparently unable to leave his property to his nieces and nephews (who live in the UK).  Not sure the full story as I don't know him well, but it has caused him a lot of grief and worry.  It seems basically the state decides who inherits, not your will.  In his case it's not a huge estate, but the prescriptive law still applies.

Looks like they want to keep the money / wealth in the country? 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Looks like they want to keep the money / wealth in the country? 

No, I don't think it is that:  It applies to property, but not money I believe.  You cannot leave property as you choose in a will.  There is a law that states who gets the property (regardless of the will).  Notably, you cannot leave your whole property to your spouse, so the widow(er) may be left not owning the house in which he (or she) lives - it gets divided up amongst a set of (possibly distant) relatives as defined by the French law, not the testator's will.  I can't remember the exact details, and I believe it is complicated because the couple don't have children.