Kia Sorento/Hyundai Santa Fe

BrowningDJC

A word of warning to anyone looking to buy one second hand, from 2010 onwards, test the AWD system thoroughly, they have a habit of stripping the casing in the gearbox where the transfer box drive inputs, leaving you front wheel drive only but shows no fault codes etc, and a big repair bill. 

My wife’s Sorento has just suffered this at 52k miles. 

A bloke that I worked with had a sister who owned a Sorento because she wanted to tow a horse box.  It just conked out whilst just driving it along.  If left it would start up and run normally for a random distance a dthen suddenly stop running. The vehicle went through about 4 garages without anyone finding this random fault.  It was off of the road for about 18 months in garages.  Eventually a mechanic came one of the garages and he had worked for Mercedes.   He said yep I've seen this  before.   He lifted the carpet to find a multi connector.  A bit of WD and a few in and outs and the vehicle was ok.  Bloody electrics. But it's all modern computer controlled cars.  Totally unnecessary.   Good vehicles going for scrap.

33 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I was warned years ago for this kind of fault but still puzzled how you know all 4 wheels are actually under power on a test drive if no warning lights come on? Maybe someone on here can enlighten us all how to check?

Muddy field?

(I'm actually serious as I don't know of another way, since a damaged item may transmit enough power to turn things if the wheels ate jacked up.)

19 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Muddy field?

(I'm actually serious as I don't know of another way, since a damaged item may transmit enough power to turn things if the wheels ate jacked up.)

Cheers John and that's the only way I know also BUT a muddy field is negated in most by the vehicle your buying will be probably no where near your 'known area' to find one and maybe in summer. I'm not knocking you in any way ( because your thinking is the same as mine ) but I still don't recon its practical thus have always wondered if a mechanic has a way of doing it without the wet field

13 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

wondered if a mechanic has a way of doing it without the wet field

Perhaps that would be "we'll see if the customer complains".  That seems to be many garages favoured tactic!

My father (back in the 1970s) had a long wheelbase 109" LandRover which regularly (as in perhaps annually) broke rear halfshafts.  Quite easy to replace and not all that expensive, but on the old part time 4 wheel drive you could engage the front drive and get home if it wasn't too far.

On 19/02/2024 at 19:31, mgsontour said:

I was warned years ago for this kind of fault but still puzzled how you know all 4 wheels are actually under power on a test drive if no warning lights come on? Maybe someone on here can enlighten us all how to check?

I believe the only way is to either make the front wheels spin, or get it up on a ramp with the wheels off the ground. 

4 hours ago, London Best said:

Four wheel drive engaged. Trolley jack under front and ease clutch up. If rear is driving vehicle will move. Repeat with trolley jack under rear.If front is driving vehicle will move.

That's a canny idea and has settled my dilemma, suppose down to the salesman whether he wants a sale or not now