BASC email

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Crikey that's some mod. 

It’s a T8, which is a fattish reflex mod which comes back a good way over the barrel. The rifle only has a 20 inch barrel anyway, which puts the mod closer to the scope. The good thing is that it stops me shooting deer at very last light, which I don’t like to do anyway.

On 22/02/2024 at 12:11, London Best said:

They can make a rifle over long and unwieldy and unbalanced.

The one on my .308 has been both the ruination of the rifle and the making of it at the same time. It’s ruined the balance and made it 4inches  longer and blocks light from the scope such that I lose 20 mins at dusk. Also made the rifle heavier to carry and will not sit muzzle up on a sling. BUT the extra weight helps with a steadier shot and helps reduce recoil, which the moderator has reduced by 60% anyway. Groups have improved dramatically.

That sums it up nicely i find shooting off sticks it helps with the weight of the mod 

On 24/02/2024 at 17:36, HantsRob said:

Gents, thanks for the answers. Good learning all round!
Connor, did you find a box of commas you needed using up?  Thanks to BASC and other parties for their help on this topic, regardless of how big or small the contribution is. 

To be fair I probably missed a few opportunity's for apostrophe's...

For anyone reading this for the first time, a BASC brief on completing a short Home Office survey on deregulating sound moderators is here:

https://basc.org.uk/home-office-launches-consultation-on-deregulating-sound-moderators/

For anyone interested in the details of what is being proposed see here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/firearms-licensing-sound-moderators