Whisky

redial

On 23/02/2024 at 19:09, miki said:

You just haven't found the right one yet...

Have you tried a Dailuaine, Blair Athol or Benrinnes ?
Perhaps a heavily charred barrel offering like the GlenScotia Victoriana or the Royal Lochnagar ?
Maybe a smokey and peated Longrow from Springbank or the Ledaig 18 from Tobermory.?

3 distinct groups there with smilarities but so so different.
None of those taste like rusty water, they are all single Malt Whiskies.

The sharp metalic flavours come from the grain spirit used in Blended Scotch and i'd agree that most of those taste nothing like a real, aged Whisky.

Got through 3/4's of a bottle of 16 year old Fettercairn the other Saturday, when my neighbour got locked out and had to wait for his girlfriend to come home.

That was very moreish.

I was given a bottle of The Macallan 10yr old single malt for my birthday in 2008 or 2009, opened it and started to have a few. These days the same bottle unopened is worth nearly a grand according to a quick Google price search.

Was bought to me by a late friend and I never brought myself to finish the bottle after he passed, the stuff has probably gone bad by now😒

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I was given a bottle of The Macallan 10yr old single malt

The Macallan 10 year old 'sherry cask' was (if I remember rightly) a reasonably widely available and moderately expensive whisky (roughly similar in price/availability to Glenfiddich and Laphroaig at the time).  It was highly regarded.  The reason it seems so pricey noiw is that it was apparently discontinued circa 2013.  Details here;

https://thewhiskystock.com/products/macallan-10-year-old-sherry-single-malt-old-bottling#full-description

I looked it up as I can remember having it on many occasions, and whilst it was a nice treat, it wasn't crazy money and was easy enough to get in places like Threshers.