Yet another Baikal ID thread

mat777

Hi all,

Unfortunately it appears that the forend on my trusty old Baikal is toast - it split clean in half a while ago (presumably from an age related crack propogating), and has been glued and stitched back together twice now to no avail (after a few hundred shots, it goes again).
I've been sent various links to people online selling spare secondhand forends for not a lot of money, but the issue I have is I'm not 100% sure on the model of the gun! I've compared online and I think it's either model 12 or model 27, it's a single trigger 28". 
The serial number is PO61[xx] and under the trigger guard it says - ID (or IO?) 22B/C (or 228/C?), Made in USSR

Thanks in advance!
Matt

image.png.7d574ef00649be772b4f946cf1d3f455.png

image.png.5e1890d515297c9c263f6adb4247e303.png

image.png.6e9f61c4c12f7e57c33b8cd6b79313c7.png

image.png.a7866bbd7bbaf43821ab6dbd7c70fc0e.png

Its an IJ 27 and its the later model because of the single trigger and probably fixed chokes, but not one of the last ones with multi chokes. The Model 12 had through bolts in the fore end wood. Try to fit your existing fore end iron to the new wood as it can be a bit of a faff (Though quite do-able) fitting new ironwork. Good luck.

25 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Its an IJ 27 and its the later model because of the single trigger and probably fixed chokes, but not one of the last ones with multi chokes. The Model 12 had through bolts in the fore end wood. Try to fit your existing fore end iron to the new wood as it can be a bit of a faff (Though quite do-able) fitting new ironwork. Good luck.

Many thanks, mystery solved! Do you know please roughly what year it would be?

Yes, it must presumably be fixed choke as there is no thread in the end of the barrels.
Ta, yes I'm planning to use the existing ironwork because I want the serial numbers to still match up, so I'll swap it all over and bin the old wood pieces but keep the spare mechanism.

Ta,
Matt

28 minutes ago, mat777 said:

Many thanks, mystery solved! Do you know please roughly what year it would be?

Yes, it must presumably be fixed choke as there is no thread in the end of the barrels.
Ta, yes I'm planning to use the existing ironwork because I want the serial numbers to still match up, so I'll swap it all over and bin the old wood pieces but keep the spare mechanism.

Ta,
Matt

Years ago I emailed baikal directly regarding my gun, same as yours but the older o/u double trigger non ejector model. Gave them the serial number and I was actually emailed back with all its details, year of manufactuer an all.

Not sure how an email to a Russian arms manufacturer would go these days considering the current state of affairs over that way

8 hours ago, Velocette said:

Just a thought, do you know how the barrel selector works on this gun ? Quite a few don't.

Tell us, please, for the benefit of us constant students even if the OP knows. I'm now wondering if my Baikal has a selector of which I was unaware!

Well, I certainly never knew about the barrel select-ability, so ta for that - handy to know! 

Thanks for the link, I've got my beady eye on the ebay listing - fingers crossed I dont end up in a bidding war with a re-seller! Though if I am successful then I am happy to forward on extras to anyone who needs them, for cost price.

Cheers,

Matt  

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2024 at 20:45, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The above is a link to Wabbitbosher Wife who sells on Ebay.......................................

5 hours ago, murray smith said:

try Wabbitbosher on here for a replacement.

I didn’t realise, but I buy from ‘Grandmasbottomdraw’ quite alot!! 
os she the wife of a member on here?

On 17/03/2024 at 22:28, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The above is a link to Wabbitbosher Wife who sells on Ebay.......................................