Baikal MP-18 for young’uns

BobbyH

Hi all!

So I’m getting my 10 year old nephew into the sport of clay shooting, so I got him an Investarm 100L .410 without doing any research…… now he hasn’t shot it yet, but finds that opening the top lever to reset the hammers and open the gun is quite stiff and he really struggles to do it taking away the fun of shooting, so I got him a Webley and Scott .410 instead which he likes….so the Investarm will be up for sale on here soon…..

now my question is, I have seen a few single shot Baikal .410’s on here that tickle my fancy, with the ‘top lever’ being underneath the pistol grip, how hard is it to open? Can a little 10 year old do it comfertably?

Cheers all!

I definitely have to open mine and close it rather than just press a lever and the gun opens, i.e. it is a bit stiffer and clunky than my other shotguns. 

It should be easy enough to find one to try but it sounds like it wouldn't be suitable.

On 16/03/2024 at 09:46, Windswept said:

I definitely have to open mine and close it rather than just press a lever and the gun opens, i.e. it is a bit stiffer and clunky than my other shotguns. 

It should be easy enough to find one to try but it sounds like it wouldn't be suitable.

Thanks for the reply!

On 15/03/2024 at 14:47, BobbyH said:

It can be, the Baikal a struggle as others have rightly said. Also any gun that is a semi-hammer type can be a struggle to cock. Think AYA Cosmos. I bought my ten year old one of these and he can manipulate it easily. Also the great benefit is that it "works" like a conventional shotgun with top lever and a tang safety. So some will say it is a "folder" but in truth that is no handicap at all.

200366.jpg

1 hour ago, BobbyH said:

Thanks for that, I got him a folding Investarm, and as I said even I struggle to cock it so he wouldn’t. 
I might look into one of these AYA cosmos!

Oh no! Bad punctuation on my part! Sorry. It should read as this:

Also any gun that is a semi-hammer type can be a struggle to cock. Think AYA Cosmos.

Then a new paragraph starting with:

I bought my ten year old one of these and he can manipulate it easily.

Referring to a single barrel folding type as shown in the picture.

Now what I did find easier for him than an AYA Cosmos was the Cooey type single barrel. If you ever get over to near Leicester with the lad I am near Normanton Shooting Ground and I have an AYA Cosmos in 16 bore that he could see if he can work it and a Cooey in 12 bore. Plus the single barrel .410" shown in the picture mentioned.

13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Oh no! Bad punctuation on my part! Sorry. It should read as this:

Also any gun that is a semi-hammer type can be a struggle to cock. Think AYA Cosmos.

Then a new paragraph starting with:

I bought my ten year old one of these and he can manipulate it easily.

Referring to a single barrel folding type as shown in the picture.

Now what I did find easier for him than an AYA Cosmos was the Cooey type single barrel. If you ever get over to near Leicester with the lad I am near Normanton Shooting Ground and I have an AYA Cosmos in 16 bore that he could see if he can work it and a Cooey in 12 bore. Plus the single barrel .410" shown in the picture mentioned.

Ah thabkyou!

that is a very nice gesture many thanks!!!