Ham making

islandgun

Anyone make their own ham ?  I have, pure dried vacuum salt pdvc, Prague powder, pink salt, demerara sugar, pickling spices [for brine] and usual cuts of Pork. I want to cook it in my electric smoker/broiler oven if possible, max temp 130c......Any tips appreciated

20 minutes ago, old'un said:

cheers old'un just had a look at jontys old posts [which were recent tbh missed it] the last ones seem to be about bacon. Now thats how much a newby about this I am but I dont know the difference in the preparation of Ham and Bacon, if indeed there is one

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

cook it in a hay box.................

A thought

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

cheers old'un just had a look at jontys old posts [which were recent tbh missed it] the last ones seem to be about bacon. Now thats how much a newby about this I am but I dont know the difference in the preparation of Ham and Bacon, if indeed there is one

A thought

it cooks all night and cools down at its own rate thus drawing juices back into it......................maybe try it on a smaller piece ?

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it cooks all night and cools down at its own rate thus drawing juices back into it......................maybe try it on a smaller piece ?

I will, would think hay would impart its own flavour

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I will, would think hay would impart its own flavour

you can put fresh hay in the water if you want or coka-cola......i meant a "hay box" that you put the boiling ham and pot into then surround by hay or sawdust and put a lid on it and leave until the next day ...........its a victorian slow cooker

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

you can put fresh hay in the water if you want or coka-cola......i meant a "hay box" that you put the boiling ham and pot into then surround by hay or sawdust and put a lid on it and leave until the next day ...........its a victorian slow cooker

Got you, thank you

7 hours ago, old'un said:

Thanks Dave - for your confidence 👍

@islandgun bacon and ham are very similar, the technique is the same, it’s just a different cut of meat.  I’ve  made a good few hams, wet brined and dry brined, I’d be happy to help you out with whatever you are wanting to achieve.  Curing is pretty simple really - I’d be glad to assist.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jonty said:

Thanks Dave - for your confidence 👍

@islandgun bacon and ham are very similar, the technique is the same, it’s just a different cut of meat.  I’ve  made a good few hams, wet brined and dry brined, I’d be happy to help you out with whatever you are wanting to achieve.  Curing is pretty simple really - I’d be glad to assist.

Brilliant. Well that seems like a good place to start. Which would be the best cut for Ham. I bought this last summer and hot smoked a lot of mackerel but would like to try ham if possible, as said earlier it goes to 135c

smoker.jpg.f0ffccbaffb5c7edd339be8b3a690e13.jpg

Edited by islandgun

Brilliant. Well that seems like a good place to start. Which would be the best cut for Ham. I bought this last summer and hot smoked a lot of mackerel but would like to try ham if possible, as said earlier it goes to 135c

dont over smoke it.....

I have the very same smoker Islandgun - mine is taking a break at the moment because the element packed in and I've not got round to fixing it yet - I must pull my finger out.

You definitely can smoke a ham on that - its got a perfect temperature range.  You'd want to set it at 110C-120C and cook the ham to a minimum internal temperature of 65C  (cooking to the internal temp is far more accurate that trying to guess minutes a pound etc).  You can cook it to 70C or above depending on your taste/texture preferences but 65 will do it for me.

When the internal temp hits about 60C, some wizardry occurs within the meat (all meat) and it wont absorb anymore smoke after that temp, so you can save adding woodchips at that point as they wont have any effect.

For cuts of meat, anything from the leg or shoulder will work - I think leg is the more traditional.  If you go for shoulder, ask for a solid piece, I've found a lot of shoulder is rolled and tied and turns into strands if you cut the string.

Are you looking at dry curing (dry rub) or wet curing (immersed in brine) ?

Also, you mentioned you have Prague Powder, there are two types #1 and #2.  You want #1 for ham and bacon - anything that you cook,  and #2 is used for uncooked things such as parma ham or salami.  It's important to get the right one as they are not interchangeable.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results!!

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

I have the very same smoker Islandgun - mine is taking a break at the moment because the element packed in and I've not got round to fixing it yet - I must pull my finger out.

You definitely can smoke a ham on that - its got a perfect temperature range.  You'd want to set it at 110C-120C and cook the ham to a minimum internal temperature of 65C  (cooking to the internal temp is far more accurate that trying to guess minutes a pound etc).  You can cook it to 70C or above depending on your taste/texture preferences but 65 will do it for me.

When the internal temp hits about 60C, some wizardry occurs within the meat (all meat) and it wont absorb anymore smoke after that temp, so you can save adding woodchips at that point as they wont have any effect.

For cuts of meat, anything from the leg or shoulder will work - I think leg is the more traditional.  If you go for shoulder, ask for a solid piece, I've found a lot of shoulder is rolled and tied and turns into strands if you cut the string.

Also, you mentioned you have Prague Powder, there are two types #1 and #2.  You want #1 for ham and bacon - anything that you cook,  and #2 is used for uncooked things such as parma ham or salami.  It's important to get the right one as they are not interchangeable.

That's good to hear, the oven works well. I already have the wrong Prague powder, so some of that is on order, I'm open to both dry and wet but will try the wet first. Thanks for the advice will post how it goes 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/03/2024 at 10:00, Jonty said:

Heres my second attempt ! very pleased with the result, lightly smoked with a sweet honey crust, Its now on the menu. gave it a quick blast in the normal oven as still not sure about the smoker oven

Thanks for the advice Jonty

hammy.jpg.087a5d9b6d7828c254a649d1941db521.jpg

On 27/03/2024 at 07:50, islandgun said:

Hello, You dont half live well up on your Scottish Island IG 🤔😊, Joking aside it seem a lovely place to live but would be a tad cold for me in winter,

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, You dont half live well up on your Scottish Island IG 🤔😊, Joking aside it seem a lovely place to live but would be a tad cold for me in winter,

A picture of said Ham and other stuff going out as a packed lunch order this a.m.... by the way its raining.😀

picnic.jpg.b4d1507250cf4c9208ea82d2e47afecf.jpg

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

A picture of said Ham and other stuff going out as a packed lunch order this a.m.... by the way its raining.😀

picnic.jpg.b4d1507250cf4c9208ea82d2e47afecf.jpg

Hello, Packed Lunch !!!!!!!, That would feed me for a week !!!!🤔😄 Oh well seems we have some good weather for a change 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Packed Lunch !!!!!!!, That would feed me for a week !!!!🤔😄 Oh well seems we have some good weather for a change 👍

It was for several people, we have had it dry for a good week but now have three days of rain apparently 

It was for several people, we have had it dry for a good week but now have three days of rain apparently 

Hello, oh well they certainly had a nice feast of a lunch, i sincerely hope we have had the last of the winter rain now here in the Vale