3 Fox's with 17 Remington

Dougy

Not posted pictures here for a while but thought i would come out of hiding. 

I got asked to see if i would sort out some fox;s after a local chicken farm had a few taken during the day.

i decided to take my 17 Remington instead of one of my 22.250's i just love this little calibre it always makes me smile. 

Parked up and put the caller out and waited, didn't need to wait long, 20 minutes and in come fox from the right the 20 grain Vmax dropped it on the spot at just under 100 yds with a front bib shot, then minutes later the 2nd  came in from the left dropped again with a broadside at just over 100yds. That was it for the night so started to pack up, one last scan and 1 more was skirting the hedge line at 300 yds, it didn't seem to be coming into the call but did come in to 230 yds where it was sent another 20grain Vmax, another dropped on the spot. 

IMG-20240402-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20240402-WA0016.jpg

45 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Well done. The 17 Remington is an excellent calibre. I tried for many  months to buy a good one to no avail. I ended up getting a .204 Ruger.

You wont regret the .204 Steve 

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

I don't mate. I've had it approx' 4 years now and it's been excellent on ground feeding Corvids, up to 275 yards. Hard hitting on Fox too.

I use mine on foxes - always had used my bigger rifle - and struggled to see the strike - with this its almost like shooting an air gun - stay on target and see the strike brilliant 

Nice one!

It can be good - very good -  when it all goes right - in my case, sheer luck. Farmer on phone, come quick, two foxes in next field to the free range laying hens. Went straight up and got in the first field when a load of rooks got up from behind a hedge. That couldn't have been me so sneaked up to a gate and there's two foxes in the valley not too far out with other things than chicken on their mind at that moment. One dropped to shot and the other went into the hedge beside which whey were stood. The shot echoed back from the wood and it popped back out whereupon it joined its mate.

Very good? A few months later another call from the farmer, "I need a word". Oh, gawd what have I done? "Both syndicates (me - they were quite small) have packed it in so I have put the rights on my tenancy as I don't want any more idiots wandering about and that's for you as you've earned it."

Edited by wymberley

7 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Well done. The 17 Remington is an excellent calibre. I tried for many  months to buy a good one to no avail. I ended up getting a .204 Ruger.

It was something i always wanted after reading stories about its super fast velocity. I only gor round to fulfilling my long awaited want after the issues with the HMR. Put in for a 1 for 1 and sold it. It's built on a Sako S491 action, re-blued and looks 👌.  

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

It was something i always wanted after reading stories about its super fast velocity. I only gor round to fulfilling my long awaited want after the issues with the HMR. Put in for a 1 for 1 and sold it. It's built on a Sako S491 action, re-blued and looks 👌.  

Yes, it's velocity was something that impressed me. After I couldn't get a decent one, I bought a 17 Hornet but couldn't get on with reloading for it, so sold it and bought the .204. I'm impressed with this calibre though.