New pond under construction

What an interesting thread.

It would appear to me that you are living the dream that most of us will never personally experience, in a good way that is. As Old'un alludes, your enthusiam brings huge benefits to wildlife and I am loving the pictures.

Fantastic stuff!

As others have said cracking thread, all done with the right intentions will look forward to future developments........ Im doing similar things but to a much lesser degree 

Edited by islandgun

39 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

What an interesting thread.

It would appear to me that you are living the dream that most of us will never personally experience, in a good way that is. As Old'un alludes, your enthusiam brings huge benefits to wildlife and I am loving the pictures.

Fantastic stuff!

Thank you 

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

do you add fruit trees to your hedge rows......apples ...peartrees..plums...crabapple ?..all good fodder for autumn feeding 

Hi Ditchy

Yes it a right old mix

Crab apple 

Guelder Rose    Hazel  Lime  Oak   Hornbeam 

Rowan   Wild Cherry Wild rose

Wild Privet Field maple Alder Aspen Blackthorne 

Bird Cherry Hawthorne 

I also make shelter belts between the hedges - with a small ditch or bank for nesting

I also have the hedges laid on rotation and then i make dead hedges each year

We also plant circa 25 acres of wild bird plots 

I made a small orchard - only perhaps 20 trees - with plum - pear - apple - gage - But the real old varities  

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

A others have said cracking thread, all done with the right intentions will look forward to future developments........ Im doing similar things but to a much lesser degree 

Its gets addictive - the more you do the more you want to do 

This last few years i have been having a massive push on predator control - not just the usual foxes or crows - but rats 

The only thing i have not got on top of is the stoats if im being honest 

3 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Its gets addictive - the more you do the more you want to do 

This last few years i have been having a massive push on predator control - not just the usual foxes or crows - but rats 

The only thing i have not got on top of is the stoats if im being honest 

I cant do much about predators, we only have hoodie's ravens and otters, do you find crows get into the duck tubes

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I cant do much about predators, we only have hoodie's ravens and otters, do you find crows get into the duck tubes

No - nothing has raided any of the duck tubes at all in the 5 years or so we have been doing them 

What i do now as well is once the first broods have come from them - refurb them rather than wait until next year and we can have more than 1 brood in each every year 

6 minutes ago, jall25 said:

No - nothing has raided any of the duck tubes at all in the 5 years or so we have been doing them 

What i do now as well is once the first broods have come from them - refurb them rather than wait until next year and we can have more than 1 brood in each every year 

Great stuff will put a couple up this week 

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Great stuff will put a couple up this week 

Great !

To help them last we put "roofs" on them this year - which was some felt over the wire

I also used old sheep fencing this refurb time rather that chicken wire - as it makes them far more rigid and resilient

40 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Thank you 

Hi Ditchy

Yes it a right old mix

Crab apple 

Guelder Rose    Hazel  Lime  Oak   Hornbeam 

Rowan   Wild Cherry Wild rose

Wild Privet Field maple Alder Aspen Blackthorne 

Bird Cherry Hawthorne 

I also make shelter belts between the hedges - with a small ditch or bank for nesting

I also have the hedges laid on rotation and then i make dead hedges each year

We also plant circa 25 acres of wild bird plots 

I made a small orchard - only perhaps 20 trees - with plum - pear - apple - gage - But the real old varities  

bloody excellent..............if the wild boar ever find your orchard in the autumn ...you are going to have alot of sweet fat pigs .........all in all your plot is going to be very healthy....if it has food it will look after itself............good planning

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bloody excellent..............if the wild boar ever find your orchard in the autumn ...you are going to have alot of sweet fat pigs .........all in all your plot is going to be very healthy....if it has food it will look after itself............good planning

Yes ditchy - i say to them all if i can sort it - its not rocket science !

Water

Food

Shelter

Nesting Habitat

Predator Control

Human engagement - keeping the walkers and bikers where they should be!

Its all took some determination and a few cross words over the years but everyone in the locality is now on board and can see the benefits of its all

The first job we did you see was ruffle a load of feathers when i put the logging track in the woodland and then clearfelled over 7,000 tonnes of timber 

32 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Yes ditchy - i say to them all if i can sort it - its not rocket science !

Water

Food

Shelter

Nesting Habitat

Predator Control

Human engagement - keeping the walkers and bikers where they should be!

Its all took some determination and a few cross words over the years but everyone in the locality is now on board and can see the benefits of its all

The first job we did you see was ruffle a load of feathers when i put the logging track in the woodland and then clearfelled over 7,000 tonnes of timber 

it seems the country side is going to rat**** ...copicers are no more....charcoal burners virtually gone.........for hundreds of years this country has not been natural...its been managed....the trouble is "new folk"...cant /wont see it..........all they see is woodland choked up and dead   and they think that is natural......

do some chacoal burning with your management....a steel tube kiln and top ..a shovel and away you go....

more power to your elbow boi :good:

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

it seems the country side is going to rat**** ...copicers are no more....charcoal burners virtually gone.........for hundreds of years this country has not been natural...its been managed....the trouble is "new folk"...cant /wont see it..........all they see is woodland choked up and dead   and they think that is natural......

do some chacoal burning with your management....a steel tube kiln and top ..a shovel and away you go....

more power to your elbow boi :good:

We did do for years ditchy - we had 2 kilns on site 

Now we just coppice and give the shoot lads the wood as thank yous