A positive future for shooting - feedback from National Shooting Show

Many years ago the NGO published an article about the stark difference between the online misinformation about gamekeepers versus real world interaction with members of the public at various events and shows their staff attended.

The face to face feedback from the public was overwhelmingly engaged and positive. It was a refreshing eye-opener on real world vs social media.

That article has always stuck in my memory and with that in mind below is a link to an article on the face to face feedback from last weekend's National Shooting Show, from those that attended it. 

I think it's a refreshing upbeat update and perhaps a timely reminder that we sometimes need to take with a pinch of salt those within our midst that seek to use social media to present a negative slant on everything shooting related. Shooting is not doomed - it has a very bright future.

https://basc.org.uk/the-year-the-norths-grandest-show-went-national/

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

The people attending the Shooting Show are all pro shooting and do not reflect the opinions of the General Public!  I won't get into the impact of a Lead Ban on shooting in general but it is wholly negative.

Edited by Weihrauch17

14 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The people attending the Shooting Show are all pro shooting and do not reflect the opinions of the General Public!  I won't get into the impact of a Lead Ban on shooting in general but it is wholly negative.

Actually no they are not all pro shooting. As someone helping out on one of the stands we were visited by non shooters with whom we discussed the subject. In that case it was shooting grey squirrels! 

5 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Actually no they are not all pro shooting. As someone helping out on one of the stands we were visited by non shooters with whom we discussed the subject. In that case it was shooting grey squirrels! 

Not sure why anyone that doesn't shoot would pay to go to a shooting show?  Maybe none shooting partners of people that shoot.

Edited by Weihrauch17

16 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Perhaps you missed the point of the post or perhaps I was too subtle with the cross refs to NGO and the public. In other words the Shooting Show feedback underlines the point that the opinions of a vocal minority of shooters that use social media to present a negative slant on everything shooting related should be taken with a pinch of salt. Shooting is not doomed - it has a very bright future.

33 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

In other words the Shooting Show feedback underlines the point that the opinions of a vocal minority of shooters that use social media to present a negative slant on everything shooting related should be taken with a pinch of salt. Shooting is not doomed - it has a very bright future.

In  'other words' you're saying no one at the show criticised basc,  or questioned them on their anti lead stance ?

Righto 😏

And no Conor , the 'vocal minority' don't criticise EVERYTHING shooting related, just the organisations they pay to represent them, badly.

25 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

In  'other words' you're saying no one at the show criticised basc,  or questioned them on their anti lead stance ?

Righto 😏

And no Conor , the 'vocal minority' don't criticise EVERYTHING shooting related, just the organisations they pay to represent them, badly.

This, I have sacked the NGO off also having sacked BASC off when John Swift was trying to get Lead banned.

22 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Mindful of above comments in this thread by the 'handful' and as someone who actually went out there face to face, rather than hiding behind a keyboard, may I ask if you got any queries about the orgs encouraging a voluntary move away from lead shot for live quarry - good, bad or ugly?

Mindful of above comments in this thread by the 'handful' and as someone who actually went out there face to face, rather than hiding behind a keyboard, may I ask if you got any queries about the orgs encouraging a voluntary move away from lead shot for live quarry - good, bad or ugly?

It says a lot about your mentality that you enquire if the member has any queries, because he isn't "hiding behind a keyboard". Would you answer any queries? Why? 

Given that most members have a nom de plume, how can you spot the ones that are hiding or not hiding? That is a special talent. 🙂

Edited by Gordon R

A positive future for shooting is partially reliant on having a political wing able to counter any restrictions forced onto shooting sports that have no scientific basis but are solely political in nature. Appeasement by BASC is not supporting grass roots shooters and is not a justifiable political tactic.  I’d guess your reference to the “vocal minority” is in reality those who have expressed a dissatisfaction with the performance of BASC regarding lead shot use and who are probably some of the greatest supporters of shooting as a way of life rather than those who you would portray as acting to the detriment of shooting sports . Please don’t deliberately confuse the two in an effort to discredit those who would question your competence, just let your own posts be judged rather than attempt to manipulate opinion in your favour by arguably underhand inference.

Does “ as someone actually went out there face to face” a reflection of how you see your seemingly heroic actions in defending shooting . I think the truth is a bit less heroic and involves a bit more glad handing of shooting supporters and achieving an awful lot less than you would have us believe. Why don’t you , in the spirit of going out face to face, get off your chair and face up to those people who would have quarry shooting abolished instead of hanging about the National Shooting Show “working”

3 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

may I ask if you got any queries

In my experience those queries are never fully answered and invariably replied to with unjustifiable personal insult.

11 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

To be fair Connor, the topic rarely came up except on a chat with someone about punt gunning.

I did spend time justifying shooting as a means of vermin control to anti shooters. Also spent time on your stand with Chris on the wildfowling team talking of more promotion of the wing survey. As you know I took him out at Caerlaverock and wrote the subsequent article. I was trying to make sure it got more coverage and, indeed, we have NatureScot interested in promoting it at Caerlaverock.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

To be fair Connor, the topic rarely came up except on a chat with someone about punt gunning.

I did spend time justifying shooting as a means of vermin control to anti shooters. Also spent time on your stand with Chris on the wildfowling team talking of more promotion of the wing survey. As you know I took him out at Caerlaverock and wrote the subsequent article. I was trying to make sure it got more coverage and, indeed, we have NatureScot interested in promoting it at Caerlaverock.

Thanks Dave, and for your ongoing efforts on the wing survey at Caerlaverock.