Choke help needed

Good day all!

I have been trying to find a choke gauge for a .410 for the various guns I have and no idea what choke they are!!

I can find 12,16 and 20 gauges but no .410…..

Anyone know where to get one?

34 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Quite honestly, patterning may be the only way you really find out.  Cartridge variations affect pattern as well as barrel profile (choke), so the best way is to pattern.

agree......get a cheap roll of white wallpaper......make a wood frame and shoot off the bonnet of your car.....with the gun surported

Only way to gauge chokes is to measure the bore behind the choke and compare to the degree of constriction in the choke .Marked bore size is usualy a fair indication but it may not be the same as the bore behind the choke .

Full choke on a .410 is .018" so take it from there . 

On 21/05/2024 at 08:19, Gunman said:

Only way to gauge chokes is to measure the bore behind the choke and compare to the degree of constriction in the choke .Marked bore size is usualy a fair indication but it may not be the same as the bore behind the choke .

Full choke on a .410 is .018" so take it from there . 

Hello G. 

I once had a Laurona .410 sxs in for something and I measured the chokes for the customer. Left brl - .038  Customer asked, "what is it?"

"A bit tight." was my reply. 😂

Take care,

PT

On 20/05/2024 at 22:09, Stonepark said:

Set of calipers and using reverse internal measurement side is best bet as 410 choking is all over the place depending on country of origin.

Yes and deducting that from the bore size to give an actual indication as many manufacturers bore their barrels to finish at different diameters. Hence why the plug gauges for 12's and 20' are of no use these days. When Beretta bore their 20 bores to .626 and in Britain it's .615 the plug gauge or just measuring the "hole" at the end isn't going to be accurate. 

On 20/05/2024 at 21:25, BobbyH said:

Good day all!

I have been trying to find a choke gauge for a .410 for the various guns I have and no idea what choke they are!!

I can find 12,16 and 20 gauges but no .410…..

Anyone know where to get one?

Apart from what already has been said but if their is one near you try and find a gunsmith or local gunmaker who has invested in the kit to measure it for you. 

I don't even charge to do that for people. Although a pint is greatly appreciated. 🙂

You need to find out the actual bore diameter which can vary around.410, probably.405 to .415.Finding a tube or something that fits the barrel snugly that you can measure,and compare to the muzzle end with digital caliper. 
More accurate would be to shoot a standard load at say 20 yards and measure the spread on a sheet of cardboard.

21 minutes ago, Fil said:

Hello G. 

I once had a Laurona .410 sxs in for something and I measured the chokes for the customer. Left brl - .038  Customer asked, "what is it?"

"A bit tight." was my reply. 😂

Take care,

PT

There are a lot of guns like that out there, one of the reasons 410 has bad rep for patterning as at that choking, patterns are all blown and don't hold past 25 yds.