50cc and a 16 year old

My boys 16 in 13 months so I thought I’d start the search for a moped . 
i know people ask for silly money but £4000 for a 25 year old 2 stroke ??? 
im after something with gears like a ts50,  dt 50 , ar50 etc . Nothing out there . 
 Has anyone seen one for sale that we could do up ? He has a year to get it on the road . We are mechanical minded . 

I took him on my 700 tenere and he loves it . He has riding gear for his birthday coming up 😁

Loved my DT50…..I remember paying £700 for a late model that was immaculate owned by a 30 odd year old who lived at home with his parents. Brakes were non existent though! 
It’s a shame all old bikes/cars have shot up in money really.
See if you can find an old Derbi Senda, that’s what I really wanted at the time. 

35 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Loved my DT50…..I remember paying £700 for a late model that was immaculate owned by a 30 odd year old who lived at home with his parents. Brakes were non existent though! 
It’s a shame all old bikes/cars have shot up in money really.
See if you can find an old Derbi Senda, that’s what I really wanted at the time. 

That means you’re 40? 
the derbi senda was a great looking bike . 

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Try this website "the saleroom" plus the usual dot com. It lists auctions all over the UK. Put moped in the search bar.

Cheers 

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

That means you’re 40? 
the derbi senda was a great looking bike . 

Cheers 

I’m 41 so yes spot on! The derbi senda was the one to have if you had a bit more money than I did….always thought I’d go onto a dt125 or Aprillia rs125 but alas I got my driving license and cars took over. 

6 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

I’m 41 so yes spot on! The derbi senda was the one to have if you had a bit more money than I did….always thought I’d go onto a dt125 or Aprillia rs125 but alas I got my driving license and cars took over. 

Cagiva mito at 17 😁. Fast as hell 

I had a go on a few FS1E's and a AP50, but decided not for me after nearly running into the headmasters wife at lunch time. And riding on the pavement around cars, couldn't grasp that I had to share the road. 

I'd be dead now if I'd bought my favourite bike, a Honda 250 super dream in blue 💙