Wild boar driven hunt

Holland&Holland

I went to hessen in germany for a driven hunt on wild boar, red deer and roe deer. It was a cold day and it was snowing for the first time this autumn. We were with about 30 hunters and as many beaters. All the hunters are divided over the hunting ground on high seats or on positions on the paths. I was placed at a spot at the edge of the hunt on a forrest track at the side of a slope with oak trees. There was also a grassy field in front of me with a little brook. Quite a pictoresque scenery :/ . Also a good spot for shooting because you have a good view all round and a back stop for the bullets. At 11 the hunt was on and the beaters and dogs started there work. At first there came a roe running past with a couple of dogs after it. Not a good opportunity for a shot so i left this alone. 20 minutes later a group of wild boar came down the slope, they where not running hard but "trotting". When they where on the grassy field a let the first go because this was the leading female boar, i shot the next one broadside just behind the ear. Dropped instantly, very pleased with the shot, reloaded and shot the last one just before they entered the opposite woodland. Hit it slightly behind the shoulder, but another good shot. So very pleased with myself because i practised a lot in a shooting cinema where you can shoot with life rounds at a wide screen with video's of actual hunting scenes. Beter practise you cannot get. Shot's are marked by a laser after youre bullet shoots a hole in the screen. Very smart.

But after this group, others fired shots but i didn't get any game past me again. A mate of mine shot a red deer and this animal had to be searched for, a man and his special tracking dog looked for 1 hour and came up with the animal. It had walked for another 500 meter before it collapsed.

In the end our group had 29 beasts: 3 red deer, 14 wild boar, 6 roe deer, 4 foxes and 2 raccoons. Like every hunt it is ended with a formel procedure to honour both animal and hunter. Game is layed out on branches and every species has a special tune played. Hunters are presented with a little branch to put on their hat.

The weather became increasingly worse with more snow and wind, so pictures are few and of poor quality, sorry.

post-3027-1195059559.jpg

post-3027-1195059569.jpg

post-3027-1195059577.jpg

We used something similar to the 'shooting cinema' H&H describes in the CCF at RM Lympstone the SAT (small arms trainer). Basically its a giant projection of a landscape with people running at you. You fire at them and the the computer works out whether you hit or missed. I should add that they aren't live rounds the gun is modified and uses lasers and electronics within the shell of the SA80. I'm guessing its the same principle but using wild boar and your own gun with laser attachments. :/

We used something similar to the 'shooting cinema' H&H describes in the CCF at RM Lympstone the SAT (small arms trainer). Basically its a giant projection of a landscape with people running at you. You fire at them and the the computer works out whether you hit or missed. I should add that they aren't live rounds the gun is modified and uses lasers and electronics within the shell of the SA80. I'm guessing its the same principle but using wild boar and your own gun with laser attachments. :/

Poacher, used the exact same set up at the ame location as you at Lympstone, again with the CCF. Great fun indeed.

Great pics as well.

Jerry

I've used a cinema range where you use live rounds. Basically there's a large screen which has a scenario projected on it (terrorists/wild game etc). When you fire, a mike on the firing point picks up the report of your round and freezes the film, the point of impact on the screen is illuminated so you can see if you've hit or missed, then the film plays on.

Cheers

I remember using something like that many years ago...................twas indeed good fun..............

Cracking read and very good pictures, Well done H&H - you make me green with envy some days :good:

on The cinema screens they use in europe for this kind of training, they do use live rounds and its a lot of fun and gives you a good idea of how your shooting against running targets, such as Wild Boar, Red Deer , etc

Thank you for the comments. The shooting cinema is the real works so no shooting with lasers but youre own gun and ammo. You are getting a lot of confidence by praticing. I do quite a lot of these driven boar hunts in november and december but practice is always good and you can tell where the bullet went when you missed. Also a big advantage is to recognize the animal that is running past, male, female, good / weak, how old and most important am i allowed to shoot it.

For people interested how it works look up indoorschiessanlage.de on the google.

Here are some pictures of the cinema. The red dots you see after you have shot three times, then they rewind the tape and the red dots appear.

@ ceaser if you have any questions about these driven hunts please ask, i hope i can answer them.

What you have to have is a scope on youre rifle that you can alter downwards to 2,5 magnifying or a aimpoint. Otherwise it becomes difficult to shoot at close range at a moving target. Also bring a chair to sit on and a proper hat because if you shoot a boar it is custom to get a branch presented by the hunting leader to put on youre hat. Do not forget an orange vest + headband for safety reasons. Good Luck !!!

post-3027-1195372227.jpg

post-3027-1195372242.jpg

post-3027-1195372266.jpg

post-3027-1195372284.jpg