FITASC vs Super Sporting

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

FITASC has a long tradition to protect.

I'm curious to the stance that at least is perceived.

What is the tipping point of embracing positive change, attracting more shooters, and having something new in the sport; vs actively blocking a new game because they feel it sits too closely? If it is "like" a mix of FITASC, trap, sporting, and skeet, at what point is it a copy Vs something new that people want to do? 

This blocking wouldn't want to make me try FITASC more, if anything put me off such an elitist sport.

It reminds me of music and the troubles Ed Sheeran got into, and how he rightfully defended. Surely evolution is a good thing?.....

I am not against you TC, partly generating discussion and debate, and also wondering why FITASC is so butthurt over this. It may have a long tradition, but traditions must change with time, or remain stagnant and left in the past.

10 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I'm curious to the stance that at least is perceived.

What is the tipping point of embracing positive change, attracting more shooters, and having something new in the sport; vs actively blocking a new game because they feel it sits too closely? If it is "like" a mix of FITASC, trap, sporting, and skeet, at what point is it a copy Vs something new that people want to do? 

This blocking wouldn't want to make me try FITASC more, if anything put me off such an elitist sport.

It reminds me of music and the troubles Ed Sheeran got into, and how he rightfully defended. Surely evolution is a good thing?.....

I am not against you TC, partly generating discussion and debate, and also wondering why FITASC is so butthurt over this. It may have a long tradition, but traditions must change with time, or remain stagnant and left in the past.

FITASC (Fédération Internationale de Tir aux Armes Sportives de Chasse) Is a long established set up.

Shooting FITASC Sporting is expensive but so much ahead of ordinary English Sporting at Registered level.

The Federation are simply protecting what they have built up over years of hard work and by removing accreditation from those who are working on Super Sporting, they hope to stop the watering down of what the Federation stands for.

Protectionist if you like, but it is a business.

Over the years there have been world sporting and super sporting and many other attempts to offer what FITASC does, but none have really taken hold.

Fair reply, TC. Thankyou for helping explain objectively! 

Followup - do you think super sporting will pick up and take market share? Do you like it, or do you think it's a fad?

I also assume they are happy for FITASC refs to do trap and skeet officiating due to the differing nature?

5 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Fair reply, TC. Thankyou for helping explain objectively! 

Followup - do you think super sporting will pick up and take market share? Do you like it, or do you think it's a fad?

I also assume they are happy for FITASC refs to do trap and skeet officiating due to the differing nature?

Super-Sporting needs something to get it in to the "market".

World Sporting tried big cash prizes, only problem was the ordinary shooter doesn't want that.

We have seen big money offered by sponsorship across ESP Reg shoots, it DOES NOT WORK.

Most shooters apart from possibly 4 or 5% want the chance to shoot good well presented targets without stupidly long range stuff for a fair price.

Fitasc qualified Referees can work wherever the money takes them.

SSP gives the normal non-FITASC discipline shooter a taste of a more challenging discipline, without the cost in money (maybe £20 extra for FITASC) and shooting time to the shooter or restrictions and cost to the ground. Normal CPSA Sporting refs can officiate SSP and avoid the FITASC additional rules such as gun down, vest marking, movement before target appears. Course setters can also avoid the target restrictions and single courses with a minimum of 10 stands (100 targets). 

The 'flip side' of course is the potential for FITASC and BICTSF to lose their control over their monopoly of a discipline which caters for people who want to shoot harder targets ('Sporting on Steroids') and force grounds to pay a 'license' fee to run shoots.

I have shot FITASC, Sporting, SSP and a shoot at Bisley with a 100 Sporting including two stands of SSP!

Lets hope it all gets sorted out amicably.

Bob Meadows 11003 & retired FITASC/CPSA/Olympic Discipline Referee 

To be fair, I see it more as avoiding the FITASC licence fees, which like you say makes a lot of it smallbore.

Protecting a revenue stream feels the most likely. Partly I agree with TC they've worked hard for the format, but mostly concerned a more exciting sport may steal shooters and revenue?

15 hours ago, HantsRob said:

To be fair, I see it more as avoiding the FITASC licence fees, which like you say makes a lot of it smallbore.

Protecting a revenue stream feels the most likely. Partly I agree with TC they've worked hard for the format, but mostly concerned a more exciting sport may steal shooters and revenue?

I don't think a more "exciting" shooting sport is the problem, rather it would be considerably cheaper than FITASC.

That would then probably get more shooters through the competition too.

On 08/09/2024 at 13:43, eightlittlebits said:

Discussion elsewhere seems to suggest they're taking aim organisers and referees of https://fujairah360.com/. Big prize money, affiliated with NCSA and CPSA, organised with George Digweed. Seems to be using super sporting.

Are you going?

ELBs started this thread and I wondered what competitions he shoots or whether he was just posting a non story.

FITASC deserves to survive and I fully understand why they are trying to protect it by dissuading accredited people from crossing over to Super Sporting.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

ELBs started this thread and I wondered what competitions he shoots or whether he was just posting a non story.

FITASC deserves to survive and I fully understand why they are trying to protect it by dissuading accredited people from crossing over to Super Sporting.

My apologies for posting what you consider a non-story. I saw the post and thought it might be of interest to those interested in clay shooting.

I don't shoot competition yet, I'm brand new to the whole thing so feel I may have missed some history/context surrounding it. 

I realise my mistake was probably in the tone of the original post, I pitched it inline with discussion I'd seen elsewhere on the announcement which seems to be almost universally negative.

As feedback from someone who is new to the whole thing though I don't see that this in any way helps engagement or promotion of the sport and seems, at first glance, to be petty infighting.

The last statement in the announcement seems particularly troubling. Why would I as someone coming into this choose to take part in something being organised by a group who are actively considering banning people who choose to partake in another discipline? If you can choose to shoot FITASC and what they decide you can shoot, or choose to shoot whatever you like, why choose the restrictive path?

Apologies again for the tone and putting my foot in it, it was just trying to share a story seen elsewhere that hadn't been posted here.

Well "jumping on the bandwagon" usually gets spotted quite easily.

FITASC have made their point quite clear, they will NOT allow their accredited staff to work on a competitors set up. Simples.

If you see it as reducing choice for the shooter, so be it, I see it as strengthening the interest in FITASC Sporting, long may it continue.

Now to start planning the rest of the years Competitions and get them booked around all the Game Shooting.

Peace, Joy and Happiness to ALL.

Well "jumping on the bandwagon" usually gets spotted quite easily

Honestly wasn't the intention, but I'll take it.

Now to start planning the rest of the years Competitions and get them booked around all the Game Shooting.

I'll can think about that when I finally finish fitting the cabinet and get the FEO round!

Peace, Joy and Happiness to ALL.

Amen to that. 👍

Edited by eightlittlebits