Mad session

yickdaz

Was on some fresh cut barley stubble my dad had been watching in the week and the signs were there for a good bag, after watching for 20 mins we set up at 12pm this field is surrounded by a road so awkward to shoot only safe place Was downwind so a strong wind would be in our face i've said it before I really don't like setting up wind in face especially when its strong like today was had birds coming over the back or down wind like rockets it was testing  shooting  all afternoon some really good birds were shot and I mean jaw droppers quite a few missed they were changing diretion in the blink of an eye and hit quite a lot that flew on, I could only fit around 130 in the freezers so when the clicker said 140 we stopped shooting  throughout the session we had birds streaming into the decoys in packs of 10 or more  but tried to pick the better birds long crossers high driven etc could of shot a lot more birds they were piling into the field as we packed up so at least another hours shooting was on the cards we picked 125  could of had 200 easily 

1923601029_20240921_1613462.jpg.1a8c28b26ee5cbc4e62b4a8eea171f5e.jpg

They can be really keen to feed on any late cut stubbles you’re fortunate to find / be able to shoot over at the moment…..much less choice now with most fields cultivated! 
Well done on a very tidy bag, similarly I could have shot more on various days this summer but knew it was pointless as I couldn’t get rid of any more than 200 in one go. 

Why shoot the screamers ? After hitting "a few" that flew on or even 1 or 2 - why not shoot the ones decoying ?

Hate to think of birds flying on with shot in 

The aim is to kill them cleanly and if you have cracked the location and decoy set up - then just let them decoy and kill them cleanly 

8 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Why shoot the screamers ? After hitting "a few" that flew on or even 1 or 2 - why not shoot the ones decoying ?

Hate to think of birds flying on with shot in 

The aim is to kill them cleanly and if you have cracked the location and decoy set up - then just let them decoy and kill them cleanly 

We did shoot birds decoying but choose the better birds halfway through which we were killing if anything  it was decoying birds that we took feathers out of they were coming over from behind so shooting a lot of them up the backside  and of course you want to kill cleanly everything you shoot at  but in reality that doesn't happen all the time especially in a wind when they don't keep a straight line you catch them either edge of your pattern rather than the centre of it