BASC statement in response to RSPB Birdcrime report

Conor O'Gorman

Whilst I am sure we all agree that no one should be killing raptors and other protected species.

It would not be in the  RSPBs best interests to say everything is fine and we don’t need more funds (and I am sure it would not be in BASCs interests to say the opposite). 

my point is they should not be used a a source for news when this is mostly a fund raising campaign for them. 

6 minutes ago, joejoe said:

Whilst I am sure we all agree that no one should be killing raptors and other protected species.

It would not be in the  RSPBs best interests to say everything is fine and we don’t need more funds (and I am sure it would not be in BASCs interests to say the opposite). 

my point is they should not be used a a source for news when this is mostly a fund raising campaign for them. 

I would disagree with the view that it is chiefly a fund raising campaign ,many are deeply troubled by Raptor persecution and those who commit it .Clearly carried out by any body of people who have a perceived vested interest in reducing Raptor numbers .

13 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Of course the RSPB has blood on its hands and perhaps we need to fight fire with fire? And need to be reminded of the RSPB calls to cull hedgehogs, ruddy duck and etc., etc.. And while two wrongs do not make a right let those without sin cast the first stone.

100 percent

They cull loads of stuff - because it suits them. Raptor killing is wrong but i have started to point out that they cull foxes - crows - deer etc etc - might make some of there more vocal members take a breath 

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

100 percent

They cull loads of stuff - because it suits them. Raptor killing is wrong but i have started to point out that they cull foxes - crows - deer etc etc - might make some of there more vocal members take a breath 

I am away this weekend but I am minded to make a Freedom Of Information Act request of RSPB on the number and species of animals culled on their reserves going back over the last ten years. Or of course others may wish to do so. As a "birding" organisation they need to be reminded that what is sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander. Raptor killing is illegal. But a culled fox, hedgehog or ruddy duck takes little comfort from that.

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I am away this weekend but I am minded to make a Freedom Of Information Act request of RSPB on the number and species of animals culled on their reserves going back over the last ten years. Or of course others may wish to do so. As a "birding" organisation they need to be reminded that what is sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander. Raptor killing is illegal. But a culled fox, hedgehog or ruddy duck takes little comfort from that.

Hello - if you google it they include it in the annual report - but yes takes a bit of finding year on year - so great idea