Rifled slugs or 'sabots'

caeser

Can anybody give me a definate answer to this question,

What chokes can I use for rifled slugs in my shotgun ?

( It's for wild boar shooting, in case you were wondering why I ask.)

I've read different peoples opinions, but I need to know for certain. :yes:

Some body must know the answer, or answers.

Help.

As stated before it depends on the slug. Some slugs are made for full choke smooth bore. Some for open choke smooth bore. Some for rifled barrels. You will also find 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch slugs.

Decide what you want to shoot as far as your gun is concerned and then pattern differant slugs to find which shoots best. Personally I would be looking at the federal 2 3/4 inch smooth bore full choke slug as a starting point.

NTTF

Caeser, as far as I am aware, the gun does not need to any particular 'section' . I use these for practical shotgun courses - card targets, not steel plate!!

These are 'directed' through a Beretta 3-shot S/Auto. the choke is kept 'wide' because the distances are not great, compared to hunting/clays. Just need to justify the purchase of a higher capacity Benelli to her indoors.....

Enzo

You will need a shotgun that proofed for the load, and the barrel MUST be improved or true cylinder. That is NO choke at all, this information is writted clearly on the side of the box, its the slug cartridge thats sect 1 not the shotgun, as far as I know the only way you can get these on a ticket is practical shotgun.

They are as you know hugely destructive,

Good luck

When I booked to go boar shooting I couldn't decide whether to take the shotgun or the rifle.

I have a shotgun (o/u multichoke) and a pokey enough rifle.

I asked on here about slugs and got some good advice from NTTF regarding the Federal rifled slugs.

After a phone conversation with the orgainiser of the trip I took the rifle with a red dot sight fitted to it.

That gave me the option of 6 shots if I needed them and the confidence for longer shots if required.

I understand the rifled slugs are very accurate, but on our trip you took your shotgun and used whatever he had available over there.

I've fired rifled slugs out of open © and 1/4 (IC) chokes. I got my information from the slug manufacturer's website. Guy that sold them to me said open choke, website said 1/4!

I would check them out well first, like the lads have said contact the maker about the choke and pressure information and if you're unsure about the legal aspect it's better to be safe than sorry with your health and freedom :unsure:

Slugs are unreal with the power they have :angry: