what gun.?

Whimple Hunter

hi.im 13 5ft 9 and biggesh build and looking for my first shotgun,althogh im been an airgunner for a number of years.

i dont want a 12 bore yet.i would like advice on what gun to get as im getting one for christmas although we have left it a bit late.!!!.i will b using it for an all rounder rabbit,pigeon,squirrels etc.probli a 20 bore and over and under and a budget of about £150.

Also what shell to use.?alright then .marcus

w/b

No offense based purely on experience your deff stretching it bit there a 20bore around a £100 however you can get a new one for less than £300 do a search for Investarm you can then trade it in for a semi auto in 12bore as tbh thats a better bet for you to shoot critters with or get a 410 hushpower

DOLLSEYES has a few inexpensive guns for sale

Shot a 20bore a little while ago, yep a touch lighter than my 12b but kicked like a mule because it was so light! Sounds like your after a gun for rough shooting...why not a 12b semi? Bit lighter, less recoil...plus going for a 12b there will be more options, more guns and more likely to get one cheap. :rolleyes:

There's a Rem 1100 field on guntrader.co.uk - an ok but...but beggars can't be too choosy too. Alternatively if you did want an O/U there are a few Baikals on there...excellent solid workhorse

Hello

get to a local gun shop or 3, get the feel of them, the weight ,looks etc etc....descide what ya want, a semi auto 3 shot-under/over or side x side, maybe a pump action.....what ever you are comfertable with, buy!

its easy...but for £100, ya aint gonna get much... :rolleyes: but there agin ya could be lucky....good luck

What's your reason for not wanting a 12g? Have you used one and not liked the recoil or just working on what you've been told? A 12g will give you a vast range of guns inside your budget, and ammunition is going to cost a lot less too. You can always start off with a lighter load, say 28 grams.

I'm sure there are 20g guns available for your budget. I'd look at Baikal as a serious choice, they are pretty solid guns and are hard to beat for quality and looks at that price. If you can get a single trigger gun, and maybe with ejectors if possible too. I'll wade through guntrader and post an finds for you :rolleyes:

What's your reason for not wanting a 12g? Have you used one and not liked the recoil or just working on what you've been told? A 12g will give you a vast range of guns inside your budget, and ammunition is going to cost a lot less too. You can always start off with a lighter load, say 28 grams.

I'm sure there are 20g guns available for your budget. I'd look at Baikal as a serious choice, they are pretty solid guns and are hard to beat for quality and looks at that price. If you can get a single trigger gun, and maybe with ejectors if possible too. I'll wade through guntrader and post an finds for you :rolleyes:

because i just like the 20 bore and the 12 is a tad too heavi. weight wise.

Seller Details Paul Borer - Westsports Country Store Ltd - Bideford, DevonTel: 01237-425 412Gun Details[This gun was for sale as of 16:08, 15 Nov 07]AYA 12 gauge Yeoman Over and Under second hand Shotgun (R/H), £150 @ US$308

Licence: Shotgun, Chokes: 1/4 & 3/4

Trigger: Double Trigger, Ejection: Non Ejector, Serial #: 342307, Stock #: 071016/001

I hope this copy and paste is ok with the mods? AYA are a good make of gun. No ejectors and a double trigger, but still a very nice starter gun :rolleyes:

There are very few 20g guns in your budget, £175 is the cheapest I can find. Also bear in mind that the lighter the gun, the harder it will recoil. How many 12g guns have you handled? They vary greatly in weight. A side by side will often be lighter, so maybe you could consider one of these and use light loads?

On a budget of £150 you'll be unlikely to afford many 20-bore cartridges. They're significantly more expensive than a 12-bore's fodder.

I'm with you on the 20-bore as a good tool to learn with. I learnt with one, and I still use one almost every day, as do a lot of blokes I shoot with. You've got to be pretty committed to learning to shoot well though, as it's not as forgiving a calibre as a 12-bore. I've got 12s, a 16-bore and a 28-bore, but I almost always pick up a 20-bore. It does almost everything I need.

You will get battered about if you try to use a 20 like a 12 though, and feed it 28g (or heavier) cartridges.

Take a trip out to Crediton to Ladds, they have a large shop the exeter side of crediton in the old mill. They carry a good stock and know what they are talking about.

If you can have a word with Donald Ladd, he is the owner and not there much these days and his son runs the place. Both are very good.

They will let you try a number of guns and point you in the right direction as far as fitting goes as well.

Jerry

Take a trip out to Crediton to Ladds, they have a large shop the exeter side of crediton in the old mill. They carry a good stock and know what they are talking about.

If you can have a word with Donald Ladd, he is the owner and not there much these days and his son runs the place. Both are very good.

They will let you try a number of guns and point you in the right direction as far as fitting goes as well.

Jerry

cheers mate.yer will do as it is prity close to my home and ive heard from many a people how good it is.ok thanks alot mate.

my uncle has got a nice little single barrel 20 bore,(thats what ive been using)and i find it great!...

he uses 24 gram eley loads loadin in sixes and i find that a brilliant cartridge and he gets them £4 for a box of 25.i find that price quite alot but for what it provides im more less happi to pay that.

alright then ani views on that.ok thanks.marcus

Take a look on http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/ that's a pretty good site for finding a gun that will suit you. I can see where you're coming from wanting a 20 bore, but the trouble is they are unlikely to turn up for the money you have to spend. Maybe you should wait and save up a bit, or maybe ask for money at christmas? If you could find £250 that would give you more options. What makes you want an O/U gun so badly? The S/S guns can be found much more cheaply and would be fine for your needs (maybe even better). There are many good points to a S/S gun. The biggest is that you don't have to open it so far to load it. An O/U has to drop the barrels quite a long way before you can load the bottom chamber. In a hide when pigeon shooting that can be a real pain in the butt because sometimes they get tangled in the net! It's no harder to shoot accurately with a S/S than an O/U. I don't much like Investarm guns, for the same money you could get a really nice little S/S!

Take a look on http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/ that's a pretty good site for finding a gun that will suit you. I can see where you're coming from wanting a 20 bore, but the trouble is they are unlikely to turn up for the money you have to spend. Maybe you should wait and save up a bit, or maybe ask for money at christmas? If you could find £250 that would give you more options. What makes you want an O/U gun so badly? The S/S guns can be found much more cheaply and would be fine for your needs (maybe even better). There are many good points to a S/S gun. The biggest is that you don't have to open it so far to load it. An O/U has to drop the barrels quite a long way before you can load the bottom chamber. In a hide when pigeon shooting that can be a real pain in the butt because sometimes they get tangled in the net! It's no harder to shoot accurately with a S/S than an O/U. I don't much like Investarm guns, for the same money you could get a really nice little S/S!

can u gt any cheep 20 sbs on there.?

Have a look - its only a mouse click away :good:

Have a look - its only a mouse click away :good:

i just av

ie been tld tht sbs are ard to soot with and arder to control,...??