barrel chop and re-proof

auto culto

I remember reading on here a while back about an engineer who did this at a very reasonable price.As to him it was a piece of tube which wanted rethreading and then recrowning, no big deal his company had all the machines (not the reproof obviously)

I have done a search but cannot find any results.

any help would be appreciated :good:

Cheers H

I have talked this over with the London proof House, and there opinion is that if the barrel has been altered in any way it WILL have to be re proofed.

This includes moderators for both rifles and shotguns, there reason behind this. Where do you have a cut off point? Where do you say " Oh that will be ok?".

So the safest way forward is to DEMAND a Re proof for any modefecation, after all its about safety.

It is an offence to sell or give any firearm to another for use, that has not been correctly proofed.

Don't quite agree, reducing the length of an already proved barrel will make no difference to the barrel strength structure, screw cutting reduces the barrel wall thickness AND more importantly where a mod or gas brake is screwed on the threads must aligned the bore mod/ brake.

That said any such work on the barrel will void the existing proof and it is illegal to sell any firearm shot gun with out.

And London or brum proof house are never going to say any less because it's their livelihood and if a situation occurred where the barrel blew up you would cast blame on them for not requiring a reproof :whistling:

I fully agree with you paul, the gasses are all burnt in the first nine inches of barrel with most .22LR cartriges.

So moderator screw cutting will NOT affect the proof of a barrel with this caliber, but you could not sat the same for .338 mag so what would you suggest as a cut-off point???

I was shown a barrel that was poorly threaded, resulting in the moderator being scew wiff on the barrel.

This resulted in the blast hitting the side of the can and bellowing it out, the back pressure is much higher with a moderator on.

In my opinion and I really can not stand the big brother thing, proofing is a must for me, to protect those who can be maimed by people who take the " P " To proof a moderator is £15, they check an awful lot for that money, its well spent in my opinion.

:good:

Take a word of advice, don't make any barrel length adjustments I have found accuracy to suffer.

Far easier to sell your existing gun and buy another with the correct barrel length. There wil be no doubt there are forum members who have no problems by doing this but unfortunately I did.

So never again!!!!!

I had some grim problems with a Ruger not so long back, it would not hold a zero at all and drove me up the wall.

A good mate of mine who is in the trade and knows a lot with regard to Gun smithing advised me to first check the obvious, then check that the barrel was fully floating ( It was not ) and if all that failed it would more than like be the crown that was botched due to barrel shortening, I do not fully understand this but if the end of the barrel is not set just so, the rifle is not going to shoot a good group.

I was lucky that my fault was a barrel that was clamped against the wood work, an easy fault to fix, if you are thinking of getting a barrel shortened I would recommend that you get a chap who knows what he is doing, ask around!!

• 4 years later...

Old thread back to the top!

Where would you go to get for re-proofing?

:)

Flippen 'ek...5 YEARS it has taken to get here!

Birmingham or London Proof House.

You can ship direct, or take in, most commonly Birmingham, or go through a RFD. Going through a RFD/Gunsmith "MAY" be cheaper as they get batch discounts, and carriage for several is lumped together.

Just the same there is NO legal requirement to get a rifle re-proofed after a cut or thread or both, neither do you need a proof to sell it. I have bought and sold Cut and Treaded rifle with NO proof, from, and to, different RFD over the last couple of years. Some gunsmiths may suggest this is a legal requirement, it isn't, but some will insist you get it done if they are doing the work on the rifle for their own business insurance requirements. That is two different things.

:good:

Edited by Dekers