Berreta silver pigeon sporter.

gadgit

:yp: right, as you guys put me off the Aya No2 with dent in barrell, your help is required for a gun.

This is where I won't to be. A Beretta silver pigeon, sporter, 28inc, very nice condition in a dealer.

Price is £625 including a gun sleeve/ bag.

I'd like to confirm the year of the gun, as he says its about ten years old? serial No 94731. i can't seen=m to find out much on serial numbers for the Beretta's on the net? but it could be me.

Someone has apparently converted the safety to auto, from manual? The gun appears to be free from any problems and he gives 3 month warrenty.

The case Sleeve costs £33, so I get the gun for £592!! this seems good to me :good:?:lol:??? help me quickly before its gone!!

Or should I leave it, and buy a new one. It appears that a new one would be around £1200?:lol:?:no:?:no:?//

Apparently the silver pigeon Sporter has a manual safety, as apposed to a silver pigeon (standard) which is fitted with auto. This is what the shop owner told me.

Is there no way with the serial Number 94731, that I can tell how old it is from my house?

:) Well i'm all excited now, its in good nick, according to my shooting mate.

Man in shop says its a 92? 686 sporter, perfect condition with all the chokes (but no box/case?) what do people do with the cases, eat um!

Anyway, for those in the know, theres a couple of questions/

Why does it have the wide bead to the site? how does this help.

The barells have gaps running between them, is this normal? for an 92 age gun? or a special order or what?

The stock is an light oiled dull finish, looks great!! is this normal, or an extra, the wood is in great condition.

The marking in the case are the same as the silver pigeon (as far as I can tell) The only differance appears to be it does not have silver pigeon written underneath.

The shop man believes it to be a 686 onyx sporter 92.

please be gentle with me as I've bought it!!!! (well, given him a deposit) picking it up when me licence drops through the door in the new year.

Every other web site review says its a great gun, and yes you were all right, I'm now really glad I did not buy the AYA s/s I was looking at.

Can't wait to get it home.

What do you think.

Hi

As far as the bead goes i cant help you, it may be an aftermarket one the previous owner fitted

The "gap" between the barrels is normal, its to aid cooling

If i remember most beretta stocks of that age were oil finished, this will come up really nice if you continue to oil it (rub a small amount of oil into your hands and then just keep rubbing into the wood *avoid the chequering*. the more you do this the better the finish becomes.

The choke box.....yes people eat them.... :lol: yes im kidding

as long as the chokes are protected ie in their plastic tubes they will be fine, you can get a choke pouch if you really wanted one (if the chokes arnt in the tubes or protected then you need a pouch...you really have to protect them)

Its a beretta you have made a fine choice for a first gun,

Of course someone will come along and rubbish everything i have just said...lol...but thats why we love it here... :)

good luck

Shaun

Guest The Outlaw

WHAT A COMPLETE LOAD OF RUBBISH SHAUN4860.

Only kidding :)

It sounds a nice gun and will be great if it fits you well everything shaun4860 said is spot on.

You can get rubbing/palm oil at any good gunshop.

Hope you enjoy it and shoot well.

Tony

Man in shop says its a 92? 686 sporter, perfect condition with all the chokes (but no box/case?) what do people do with the cases, eat um!

I thought the silver pigeon was of the 687 model, I had a 687 sporter which looked identical to my mates silver pigeon, on the trigger guard mine said sporter and next to the trigger guard in the engraving said 687 but you had to really look for it though, my gun was manufactured in 1989, fine gun and good value for money.

This below is from the beretta range discription, and why its difficult to work out what a gun is to a newcomer! 686 silver pigeon!!

BERETTA 686 SILVER PIGEON

Beretta Silver Pigeon (pictue)

Beretta Silver Pigeon action (picture)

Beretta Silver Pigeon

over & under shotgun is a perfect blend of beauty and performance: the meticulous detail of their appearance mirrored by their flawless performance in the field.

Now manufactured in 28 gauge with a specific, proportioned action and in .410 gauge, as well as the classic 12 and 20 gauge, they are considered the most elegant, balanced, easy to aim and fire, standard shotguns in the world…

When you take a Beretta Silver Pigeon into the field you equip yourself with the first name in consistent over-and-under performance – the preferred shooting companion of millions.

ref/ber01

Stock

mm/inch

Length of Pull

368/14.5

Drop at Comb

35/1.38

Drop at Heel

55/2.17

• 2 weeks later...

I have also got confused as to when Silver Pigeons were first made. I recently saw a 687 silver pigeon sporter in a shop and was told this gun was 15 years old it was very clean looked unused and was £899.00, I mentioned that i have seen newer guns at a lower price and i was told that Beretta's are no longer made in Italy and the price is because this is an Italian gun :lol:?:lol:?? the gun was very very clean as mentioned but not sure whether to buy it ... i feel this is over priced what do you think??????? :huh:http://www.youngmans.com/acatalog/Bertta.html

I have looked at the serial number B54965 but this does not seem to tally with the link on dating the Italian guns posted by Norfolkboy . :/ :/ :lol: :lol: ???:lol:

In my short time looking for a gun, that seems a lot to pay for a 15 year old gun.

i'm sure you will get someone who will know more than me on this subject, but there seem to be variants in the quality which reflects in the price.

So it could be a 686 silver pigeon, or a 687 silver pigeon. (15 years old would suggest its a 686 from what i've found out)

Most say to remove the stock cover and check the date stamped under the cover to conform when it was made.

Trouble is, the 686 is nearly the same looking.

686 seems to have silver pigeon under the gun on the steel amoungst the engraving in a clean area. Also has p. beretta on a clean area as well, and! made in ataly also on a clean area.

687 seems to have silverpigeon on the trigger cover? but not on the rest of the steel area?

I've just looked at the picture and it looks to me to be a 686 sporter (just like the one i'm buying)

If it does not say silver pigeon underneath it, its the sporter, as far as I can find out.

does it have vented sections inbetween the barrells, and a wider section to the site than normal??

Blooming heck, why is it so hard to be definative with beretta's??

Thanks for the reply peeps but i did some driving about today got up this morning went for a quick shoot bagged 2 Pigeons :good: then went to a gun shop in Diss then onto Framlingham then on to Halesworth then back home to chew on what i have learnt.... I shouldered Miroku Benelli beretta betinsolli lincoln browning richardson army and navy AYA ....and the verdict is between a Beretta 687 sporter or 686 game I was told that a 28" barrels would suit my size But have decided to return at the end of the moth to purchase berretta 687 sporter 3 years old £725 the chap in the shop sang the praises for Miroku which was a lovely gun also a Browning that was made in 1975 which was nice but tagged at £750 and was made in Holland so this was why it was at that price :lol: But for sheer balance quality and looks with eas to shoulder the Berreta .... :lol: If i had to consider the cash situation then a Betinsolli brand new at £595 or Lincoln at £495 ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was an interesting day out really I suppose it pays to shop around also getting some sound advise from people who know there stuff really :)

This post in no way is meant to suggest that all the other guns are not up to scratch but merely indicates that for me the Beretta felt right...

SOOOOOO Top four Guns as seen today on how they felt for me are Drum role

At 1 Berreta 687 sporting 28" barrels multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors. Second hand 3 years old £725

At 2 Betinsolli 30" multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors new £595

At 3 Miroku 28" multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors new £799

At 4 Lincoln 30" multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors new £495

Thanks for the reply peeps but i did some driving about today got up this morning went for a quick shoot bagged 2 Pigeons :good: then went to a gun shop in Diss then onto Framlingham then on to Halesworth then back home to chew on what i have learnt.... I shouldered Miroku Benelli beretta betinsolli lincoln browning richardson army and navy AYA ....and the verdict is between a Beretta 687 sporter or 686 game I was told that a 28" barrels would suit my size But have decided to return at the end of the moth to purchase berretta 687 sporter 3 years old £725 the chap in the shop sang the praises for Miroku which was a lovely gun also a Browning that was made in 1975 which was nice but tagged at £750 and was made in Holland so this was why it was at that price :lol: But for sheer balance quality and looks with eas to shoulder the Berreta .... :lol: If i had to consider the cash situation then a Betinsolli brand new at £595 or Lincoln at £495 ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was an interesting day out really I suppose it pays to shop around also getting some sound advise from people who know there stuff really :)

This post in no way is meant to suggest that all the other guns are not up to scratch but merely indicates that for me the Beretta felt right...

SOOOOOO Top four Guns as seen today on how they felt for me are Drum role

At 1 Berreta 687 sporting 28" barrels multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors. Second hand 3 years old £725

At 2 Betinsolli 30" multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors new £595

At 3 Miroku 28" multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors new £799

At 4 Lincoln 30" multi choke single selective trigger and ejectors new £495

The 687 sporter is my old one if you have bought from where I think you have, that has not been in their long.

Regards starlight32