hang how long

bobby dazzler

Depends on how strong your stomach is, personally I don't let them hang for more than a day or so. I have heard of people hanging them for over a week.

I gave a brace to a work colleague and he hung them for 2 weeks and he didn't have any time of with the "two bob bits"

As Martin said, it all depends how strong you like the flavour.

One of the guys on the shoot always preps them the evening they were shot and freezes or uses them the next day. Normally I hang them for 2-4 days depending on time I have to prep them in the evening and the weather (if its cold, they can hang for longer). Last w/e they were shot on the saturday, plucked and drawn on the sunday morning and eaten for NYE dinner and by jove they were lovely :good: Roasted with bacon, yum. They could have done with a few more days hanging tbh, but some poeple prefer the "as chicken" taste as opposed to a strong game flavour and since we were throwing the party, I did the best for most people.

Si

I didn't mean who strong you like the flavour, I meant how much you can put up with the stink when you gut them if you leave them too long.

Ah yes there is that, it does have a particular aroma to it..... even if they've only hung for a day or so.

Si

Go for no more than 2 - 3 days as we don't really get the cold weather properly anymore. The smell of death is what i can't stand, gutting phezzies, pigeons etc isn't a problem.

Bobby Dazzler,

If pigeon I go for panfrying after sweating garlic and onions everytime and then finishing in a nice red wine jus with the onions/garlic.

Otherwise Phezzies get ever treatment under the sky, roasted, fried, grilled, satayed, pasties the works. :good:

Same with wildfowl :lol:

SS

At the start of the season, when the birds are still quite young and tender, they don't really need hanging.

As the season progresses, they get tougher and leaner and that's when a little hanging helps.

You need to keep them reasonably cool though or they will simply rot or get flyblown.

Guts in or guts out will also have an effect on flavour with In being the strongest.

A week is good this end of the year but you need to forget about chicken flavours, this is a strongly flavoured meat. A bit like the difference between Rabbit and Hare.

For a guide with Cocks. look at the Spurs. If they are really long, it may be an overwintered bird and a real tough bassa. In that case, give it 10 days.

My advice is to skin, quarter and casserole after hanging. A bit of port or red wine in the gravy, shallots and a few real suet dumplings and youll enjoy the meals your grandfather and great grandfather did. :good:

God my Mrs would murder me if i had them hanging around for more then 1 day.

Mine are shot on a Saturday, and by Sunday evening they are either in the Oven or in the Freezer.

All I do is cut the Breast meat out of them, the only part i eat to be honest..

Cheers

Ian