Pigeon Damage

anser2

I have been shooting a lot of pigeons over rape on several farms for the past 3 months and despite my partner and Is efforts a lot fields have been quite badly dammaged. However there was one field that because it is close to the pheasant release pens we have not been allowed to shoot until now. When we had a recky yesterday I could not beleve it. The field had been destroyed by the pigeons. There was no rape plants over 1\2 inch high and indeed over several acres there seemed to be hardly any rape plants at all. I would guess the rape plants covered less that 10% of the soil across the field. The farmer recons after he has given it a dose of nitrogen it will be ok , but I have my doubts. This was a 25 acre field so leaving quiet for pheasants was pretty costly for the farmer.

No sign of any pigeons on it now as there is nothing for them to eat , but I will be back to see what his nitrogen will do.

Edited by anser2

A few years ago Rape fields near me were invaded by flocks of Swans, one field of about 60 acre had close on 200 Swans on it, it just looked like snow. Despite the farmer firing banger rockets over them they stayed put, news amongst twitchers spread and soon the bloody roadsides were bunged up with them and their plethora of spotting equipment. :good:

Back to the point, the field was stripped bare but it recovered like magic.

Last week on a 40 acre I have permission on I saw a flock of pigeons numbering 200 or more, also a flock of 100 or more Pee Wits, about 30 Swans and about the same number of Pheasants. I set up my cover in a corner that has a bit of hedge remaining, went back the following day and 27 pigeons didn’t make it back to roost. I’m setting up in another field this week to see if I can thin them out a bit more. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

If you talk to any agronomist worth his salt he will tell you that during Nov Dec Jan and Feb pigeons can be good for oilseed rape, but only if they eat the field uniformly and not completely down to the centre heart of the plant, a well stripped off field will yield better than one not eaten at all because more new growth is created from March onward.

A field with irregular crop growth now will almost certainly yield badly.

Rabbits and pheasants are the worst culprits of this phenonima the rabbits eating during the hours of darkness often undisturbed and of course no-one bothers the pheasants from Feb onwards.

Gas bangers strategically moved about and occasional shotgunners can help to move the pigeons onto different parts of the field and hopefully help create this uniformity of feeding.

Generally speaking no-one will have much sport over rape until March until then its all about scaring them away for a day or so but in most cases the day(s) the shotgunner is absent the birds will be on it

munching away.

We think we know how to control them but we don't and we are'nt, the're avin a larf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

If the BASC is to be believed more people are shooting at pigeons now than at any other point in history and yet there still seems to more and more pigeons in the towns, parks, and gardens as well as remote woodland and the arable areas.

In 1998 Phil Beasley was promoting his then new 'Magnet' and he said "buy a pigeon magnet now and shoot some pigeons while you can because once everyone has a magnet the woodpigeon will be wiped out" well ten years on and its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :good:

In 1998 Phil Beasley was promoting his then new 'Magnet' and he said "buy a pigeon magnet now and shoot some pigeons while you can because once everyone has a magnet the woodpigeon will be wiped out" well ten years on and its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :good:

Cooor.....controversial or wot CB? :good:

Well perhaps the old mans statement was quite bold way back then, but then again I think he forgot that most people are unable to shoot anywhere close to his or his mates standard. If they could then...yes.... there would be a lot less about, which at the end of the day, is what we are supposed to be doing eh? Obviously not to the point of extinction mind :o

Unfortunately the "Magnet" is/was purchased as a "easy route to success" and many bought a Magnet as a fast track fix for lack of Fieldcraft and shooting ability, and has educated the birds to some extent. Conversely, its also given those numpties who aint got a flippin clue about Pigeon Shooting the opportunity to shoot woodpigeons.

So its not all bad.

Good post about the agronomist bit though, and I quite agree. Seen acres of Rape destroyed only to come back with a vengeance and yield better than the stuff that looked healthy in December/Jan.

Unfortunately the "Magnet" is/was purchased as a "easy route to success" and many bought a Magnet as a fast track fix for lack of Fieldcraft and shooting ability, and has educated the birds to some extent. Conversely, its also given those numpties who aint got a flippin clue about Pigeon Shooting the opportunity to shoot woodpigeons.

WILL, you missed out a major key word - AT - and it should follow ...the opportunity to shoot

Cheers, C.B.