EMA sucks

flash

The problem is the reason why EMA orgionally came about has been abused. EMA was brought in to replace the previous support students could claim from the county council or learner support funds (both of which are now almost non-existant.)

It got to the stage where even disabled or rurally located kids couldnt claim a free bus-pass once they hit 16 and moved from school to college. Those who came from real poor families and needed financial help to fund equipment/stationary (you go through tons in college) or even to pay for 1 decent meal a day would be able to claim EMA. Some students would need to pay keep if they wanted to goto college and have a future as opposed to a dead-end depressing career in unskilled work on bog-all pay. I strongly support kids who have the potential and commitment not to be witheld from college due to being poor; it is totally wrong in the 21st century.

Then the Government decided to **** all the students from famlies who were'nt on benefits but were poor nontheless. They did this by assessing your parents combined income only without essential living costs factored in. I have included a comparison between my best friend at school and myself at 16 below:

Best Friend:

. Friend has Dad who owns his own business nd takes son on as paid apprentice on a block-release programme with college to train him up. (Yes apprentice's get EMA too alongside their pay and youth training allowance; therefore are far better off than the academics.)

. Dad has enormous savings both in cash and property. Not to mention income not far short of £40k per year. Very well off due to owning house and business outright etc so no huge mortgage.

. Friend gets full EMA.

Me:

. Had single breadwinner in form of step father who struggled to earn £22k a year due to care needs for my Disabled mother. Has a huge mortgage and 3 kids at home of which two are of college age and need money to pay for the bus to get there (14miles is a little outside walking distance if u ask me.) Younger brother not let off either as state school seems to want u to pay for everything these days (lack of govt funding again.)

. Step-dad Has to pay enormous amount of matinence to bitch of ex-wife even though a son no longer lives with ex-wife for over 2yrs amount is almost the same for single son who lives with his mother (ex-wife) about 60% of the week.

. As I have stated above the combination of children from step father and mother has led to a situ where Step-brother and I are same age and both want to make something of our lives so are going to college.

. One of us (me) can't get a lasting part-time job at that time due to the strain on chronic health problems had since childhood. So the "soft option" of college is the only way of making something of my life. Step brother works part time but like most "McUnder18" employees; get paid naff all for as much work he can do without really affecting college.

Result:

Friend: Gets full EMA. On-top of Youth-training allowance despite, already having a declared wage.

Step-brother: Nope

Me: Thats a laugh; EMA? Fat chance.

Epilouge: The following year (2005) the Disability discrimination act comes into force and changes the way EMA can assess income if your bread-winner has to care for disabled parent. But there is no official announcement and old rule books still go out with the new years claim forms so family remain oblivious to entitlement. The struggle and stress to afford to attend college costs me the grades for that year and I end up with E's alongside my previously good C's, B's and one A*.

Later I find that I have also been entitled to Disability-funding from social services to pay for transport costs for years; but they never told us there was any help avaliable.

This is the first time in 2 year I have talked about EMA to most people as I used to get so angry at the dope-smoking Asi... *cough Ethnic miniorites who turned up to claim EMA and left lectures after 20mins. It practically gave me tempoary Tourettes when people asked me: Have you claimed EMA if ur struggling then?

mr_colt.

Its frustrating, there is also a maintainance allowance of some sort for uni people not based on parents income, great i think, nope its only for people with less than 3 (or 2 cant remember) A levels, unfortuantly i actually tried at A level, as a result im too qualified to recieve the money. Its a joke.

But what you going to do about it, get on with it, and get a decent job, come 5 years time once im into a job i doubt i will care too much.

Its frustrating, there is also a maintainance allowance of some sort for uni people not based on parents income, great i think, nope its only for people with less than 3 (or 2 cant remember) A levels, unfortuantly i actually tried at A level, as a result im too qualified to recieve the money. Its a joke.

But what you going to do about it, get on with it, and get a decent job, come 5 years time once im into a job i doubt i will care too much.

Though at uni there is no longer any tuition-fee exemption post 2005; the sliding scale of "Matainence grants" that have replaced it are generally fairer as they cover a wider range of circumstances. This helps to avoid huge debt on Student loans that can take a decade to pay off.

It is not University level funding that is the problem. If you can't afford to get the a-levels or equivalents, you can't get to uni stage anyway.

mr_colt.

Edited by mr_colt

Though at uni there is no longer any tuition-fee exemption post 2005; the sliding scale of "Matainence grants" that have replaced it are generally fairer as they cover a wider range of circumstances. This helps to avoid huge debt on Student loans that can take a decade to pay off.

It is not University level funding that is the problem. If you can't afford to get the a-levels or equivalents, you can't get to uni stage anyway.

mr_colt.

yes however it does also include any form of higher education, including college, so given that a college will accept people who'm only have gcse's even to do a degree course, there are those who are getting paid their £30 a week to attend.

A friend of mine claims on this as he had 2 of his a level qualifications messed up by his school, leaving him with 1 a level, so he now gets his £30 a week, however this goes a small way to the massive cock up which stopped him getting into uni, nor does it come close to covering his 5 year graffic design course.

I didnt take GCSE's too seriously and dont have any A levels. Now I have taken up fast-track courses at college which are intense, short courses offering certificates and Diplomas. Im now working for my first Diploma, the highest grade I will own. Crazy.. I have so many NVQ's, City and Guilds, you name it. Been in college for a good few years, got certificates in motor repairs, engineering, welding, house maintenance, bricklaying, carpentry, and now Public Uniformed Services. As well as some other qualifications and licences. This makes up a good pack of certificates, and gives me plenty of choices :lol: Some days im certain I know what job I want to do, but others, I have no clue. :mad:

I didnt take GCSE's too seriously and dont have any A levels. Now I have taken up fast-track courses at college which are intense, short courses offering certificates and Diplomas. Im now working for my first Diploma, the highest grade I will own. Crazy.. I have so many NVQ's, City and Guilds, you name it. Been in college for a good few years, got certificates in motor repairs, engineering, welding, house maintenance, bricklaying, carpentry, and now Public Uniformed Services. As well as some other qualifications and licences. This makes up a good pack of certificates, and gives me plenty of choices :lol: Some days im certain I know what job I want to do, but others, I have no clue. :mad:

When i was at school/6th form i never got paid, i had to have a job so i could go out and do all the other garb a young lad does.

I didnt come from a 'deprived home' but never got any money from my parents aside from the 50p a day bus fare.

That £30 a week would have made life a little easier.

Why not give people whos parent earn a minimum wage a little help in life....after all we all want to do the best for our kids but some people just cant afford to which is why some kids leave school to try and earn a few pennies in a low paid job.. and thus the cycle continues.

When i was at school/6th form i never got paid, i had to have a job so i could go out and do all the other garb a young lad does.

I didnt come from a 'deprived home' but never got any money from my parents aside from the 50p a day bus fare.

That £30 a week would have made life a little easier.

Why not give people whos parent earn a minimum wage a little help in life....after all we all want to do the best for our kids but some people just cant afford to which is why some kids leave school to try and earn a few pennies in a low paid job.. and thus the cycle continues.

:blush::):lol::lol:

For purely selfish reasons I'm a fan of EMA.

I am divorced from my childrens' mother. My income puts me way above the threshold for EMA and I also pay a small fortune to my ex-wife as maintenance. That would also put her above the EMA threshold. BUT they don't take maintenance payments into account as income so she is below the 'poverty' threshold and my children get EMA!

I can see why people think it's an injustice but for once I see a member of my family getting something out of this government so not complaining.

Andrew

thats exactly the kind of thing it should be used for, i run a car, and getting to and fro from college on weekends is a killer.

there are people on my course who get EMA, and they spend it on cannabis and alcahol. now tell in what way does that help with the education?

a mate of mine used his to buy a theoben fenman. its alright for some, but it still shouldnt be used for that kind of stuff, thats what really annoys me.

Don't forget the reason why the EMA is paid.

Back in my day when someone left school they got a job or they

went on the dole.

Govenment did not want any unemployed figures. So govenment puts

all unemployed people in education and pays them some money.

No more unemployed people and the govenment looks good.

taz.

Edited by taz24

very cynical view of things mate! right or wrong, the system has to be helping people across the country who previously wouldnt have been able to carry on studying. of course people abuse it, thats life unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong,

I'm not aposed to the thing. Like I said in an earlier

post I sign it for the students. I see it used on a day to day

basis.

Most of the people who the EMA is aimed at deserve it,

like all things with govenment, it takes a sledgehammer

to crack a nut.

I'm all for funding.

Cheers taz.

Edited by taz24

Don't forget the reason why the EMA is paid.

Back in my day when someone left school they got a job or they

went on the dole.

Govenment did not want any unemployed figures. So govenment puts

all unemployed people in education and pays them some money.

No more unemployed people and the govenment looks good.

taz.

for 16-18 yr olds, it is almost impossible to claim IS/JSA unless you are living independantly (care leavers social services abandoned once turned 16.) To claim it myself after I had been in care due the way I was being treated at home, I had to prove is was incapable of work for disability reasons and so needed financial support to live let alone attend college.

So when I finally got EMA (assesed on me as care leaver unsupported) in sep 2005 it was a godsend as it covered my bus transport, hot lunch every day (would get dizzy nd shakes all afternoon due to useless metabolism unless I ate a decent lunch.) Unfortunatly circumstances such as apalling social housing (crack den next door) in Stafford and several life-threatening bouts of c-diff ended my college days and I havent been able to go back since. I got out of there but not much better here. Will be In Shropshire again from next weekas moving to Shrewsbury on Sat.

After that I was threatened by the DWP that if I didn't claim Incapacity Benefit they would cut my Income support off as I had been formally "signed off long-term" with serious illness by their own Doctors. £4821 taxable (after 52 weeks to get up to the long term rate IB) per year is hardly easy to live on.

. Plus you get reduced Housing/council tax benefit for being too chronically ill for work. Whereas the merely unemployed on JSA/IS get full entitlement paid. So I have to struggle to pay the rent shortfall and council tax shortfall from my limited income.

. No free prescriptions (I need 8 items a week (£54)) so I have to get a PPC which takes an extra tenner a month to give me unlimited scripts free. JSA/IS claimants again get free prescriptions automatically. I cannot get a HC2 (low income) certificate to pay for NHS costs as I get £20 pound per month too much income. So with £232pm script fees, the flat rate cert is only option to get essential meds.

. No entitlement to comunity care brants or budgeting loans from social fund.

On top of this the DWP require all IB claimants to regularly attend medicals with DWP contracted Doctors. GP's sicknotes only cover you for a few months; though the tabloids never mention this. I had to get my GP to write a letter just so they would lay on a taxi as I am too bad at the moment to even thing of getting there under public transport.

So I am afraid people on Incapacity benefit do not lead a life of luxury; as some of you may beleive. My most frugal budget still gives me a loss (into my overdraft) of about £30 a month. I used to just be able to balance the books with the my Disability Living allowance but the DWP ignored all my submitted medical evidence letters on renewal as not being addressed to us regarding you claim specifically. (Getting consultants to produce reports for DLA claims without any form of the receiving payment is impossible. Yet identical required answers about my problems are on the letters they send to my GP confirming diagnosis and how it affects me etc. So its got to goto appeal meaning that I am 6 months without essential help I medically qualify to receive.

So scrounging scum I am not thankyou. Which is why I was going to give up shooting (and most of lifes other enjoyable things) altogether till some of the guys on here talked me out of it saying to keep my airgun for when I might get some treatment and improve.

mr_colt.

mr_colt.

Edited by mr_colt

thats exactly the kind of thing it should be used for, i run a car, and getting to and fro from college on weekends is a killer.

there are people on my course who get EMA, and they spend it on cannabis and alcahol. now tell in what way does that help with the education?

a mate of mine used his to buy a theoben fenman. its alright for some, but it still shouldnt be used for that kind of stuff, thats what really annoys me.

Im not being funny, if you can buy a car, tax, insure and MOT it then you probably dont need EMA - its not a dig at you personally

EMA is designed for low income families even though they sepend the money on beer and skunk at least they have turned up and got an education - if that stiops them going on the dole and kick starts the thinking if i work i get money and can buy as much beer and skunk as i can possibly handle then im sure thats not so bad.

Im sure people who deserve EMA dont get it but as with life there is a line in the sand if you are just over the mark then you miss out....

Im sure that not all of the money had on ema is spent on beer or skunk im sure some people use it for food or bus fare or possibly to buy the family food?... you knever know

my car, insurance, tax and MOT were all bought for me by my mum, before she passed away, as she wanted both me and my sister to have a decent car to last us a long time. if it wasnt for that i may not have even had a car by this time. at the moment just about all my money goes on petrol to get from home, to college.

just cause they turn up, doesnt meen there getting an education. sometimes people turn up, get it signed and then go, simple as that, or just bum around the whole lecture. i dont get EMA, but still turn up to lectures, hand in the assignments, and do the work. and guess what, i have no other insentive then wanting a qualification. i dont get given stuff for passing a test, or handing something in on time. in my opinion people shouldnt be rewarded for doing something they should be doing anyway. and how is giving them money to turn up, gonna affect getting a job, theyll turn up and expect to get payed just for being there. as this is what theyve been doing for the past years at college.

i dont want to get into a full blown argument, so im gonna drop it here. and before anyone gets ****** off, im not having a go at everyone who gets EMA, mainly just the system.

cheers

flash

have i at any point during this topic said that i deserve EMA, i think not. so before you start throwing insults around. i would reconsider what youve written. great my dad has a decent job, and hes worked hard to get it. he grew up in a poor family in a council estate, and worked his way up, working his *** off to get to where he is. he didnt get it handed to him on a plate. so dont go making assumptions about people you havent met.

and what exactly do you mean 'people like me'.

im intrigued as to what you think i am

I think somneone should pay me for going clay shooting every Saturday.

It's quite wet some weeks - I need an incentive :unsure: :good: :good: :lol:

C.R.A.P. - Chard's Rain Allowance Payment :lol:

Chard,

I have just applied a thin layer of balm to my O so slightly cracked lips, your witty repartee is wasted on all but me