sect 1 vs sect 2 semi auto shotguns

casts_by_fly

Hi guys,

I have 2 semi auto shotguns (12b and 20b). They are both plugged to a 3 shell capacity (2+1). Are they legal on a shotgun certificate or do I have to add them as a variation on my FAC? The plugs are removable, but not without stripping down the gun a good ways (certainly not in the field). Would a more permanent plug in the magazine make them SGC legal?

I ask because I hadn't intended to bring them over initially, but if they are SGC legal then I can just add them on and bring them in.

Thanks,

Rick

I would say that you'd have to have the magazine tube physically crimped to have them on a shotgun certificate in the UK. The plugs you are talking about are designed to be removable so you can temporarily restrict the gun capacity to comply with game shooting legislation whilst hunting certain species in various countries so by definition they aren't permanently restricted to 3 shot.

My Xtrema came with a plug in the magazine tube but as it's on a SGC the magazine tube has been crimped in addition so it doesn't matter if the plastic plug is in or not, the magazine is still restricted.

Do you have slots for shotgun on your FAC? Otherwise you are going to have problems getting them on.

Another problem is that a FAC shotgun (Section 1) cannot be degraded to a SGC (Section 2) at a later date.

So once on FAC (Section 1), they are always section 1. Which means you need to have good reason to own them, you need to have approved land to use them on, and clay shooting is not a straight forward good reason, although it can be added afterwards.

You want problems with licensing? Try putting them on FAC.

You want to be able to use them without huge complications? Put them on SGC.

Fix them before you bring them over is the ONLY way of keeping it simple.

Do you have slots for shotgun on your FAC? Otherwise you are going to have problems getting them on.

Another problem is that a FAC shotgun (Section 1) cannot be degraded to a SGC (Section 2) at a later date.

So once on FAC (Section 1), they are always section 1. Which means you need to have good reason to own them, you need to have approved land to use them on, and clay shooting is not a straight forward good reason, although it can be added afterwards.

You want problems with licensing? Try putting them on FAC.

You want to be able to use them without huge complications? Put them on SGC.

Fix them before you bring them over is the ONLY way of keeping it simple.

Why is this? There were hundreds of 5 shot semi's and pumps that were restricted when the law came in after Hungerford. As long as it is done correctly and you have the proof house certificate to say that it has been restricted then it can be changes to a section 2 Shotgun

You should not have any problems getting them put on an FAC if you have valid reason for owning a Section 1 shotgun. If you are a member of a practical shotgun club or need it for vermin control because an ordinary 3 shot isn't enough then there should not be a problem.

Hi guys,

I'll never permanently change them to sect 2 status. One is an 1100 LT 20 that was my grandfather's. The other is a franchi 12b that was bought for me when I was 3. Both hold more value to me original than they do modified and in use.

Land isn't a problem. I have my FAC already. My landlord owns plenty of land and I'm acquiring more. I already do vermin shooting a well as pigeons.

When I put in for my 17 centerfire variation I will ask for the shotguns as well. I think they are a bit more lenient since I already own the guns and have plent of experience shooting.

Thanks,

Rick

The way I got my section one shotgun was to get a farmer to sign a letter saying that he has got major problems with crows/pigeons damaging his crops. When applying to the police, you have to state that it's for CROP PROTECTION. I was told by my local F.E.O. that it's important that these words are used on the application ( for our police force anyway)