Gulls

Hubbertspeak

Hubbard what makes you think gulls are a pest to farmers? The only problems from big gulls are public health and predation of other birds. There are a farmers friend taking huge amounts of harmful soil invertebrates that would otherwise dammage his crop.

If they are causing a problem with your mallard ducklings ok shoot them , but otherwise to shoot them just for the sake of shooting them is not good pratice unless you want to upset local birdie boys or old ladies in the village close to where you are shooting which may end in you loseing the land u shoot on.

Fair point anser2.

Furthermore, I had a cracking afternoon at Greenfields today and ran the question past an old-time pigeon shooter I met. Apparently, there are some gulls that look alot like the legitimate quarry, but definitely aren't. Get caught shooting the wrong ones and you're in trouble!

So, as you rightly say, the lesson is: leave the gulls alone.

But the best bit is... the old-timer agreed to take me out to teach me some field craft! :lol: He's 71 years' old and shoots 7 farms in my area :lol:

I hope I don't let him down :lol:

If I wanted to get in some practice before I go, what clay trap would be most helpful in practising for woodies?

Anyone got an identification sheet of what these birds look like underneath from the ground :lol: i aint got a clue about Gulls other than the Hearing Gull, which is a big ******. I got loads fly over one of my orchards. I'd just like to know the difference if the need occurs.

Edited by ShaggyRS6

Shaggy just key in the gull species in to the net and there will be loads of id stuff. Otherwise get a good bird book. In the field it is very hard to sort out the immatures on the ground let alone in flight and it takes the juveniles 4 years to get their adult plumage.

The 3 that you can shoot happen to be the biggest birds, I believe. The ones you can't shoot like Black-Headed Gull, Common Gull, Kittiwakes and Little Gull are the small species.

Common Gulls would be the ones to watch out for, as they are similar(ish) to Herring Gulls.

I agree with anser2 though, they do more good than harm on a farm, unless there are birds being reared, when the big gulls are ferocious predators, worse than any raptor. :good: Most raptors even steer clear of them

Edited by Chard

This is one of those subjects that comes up about once a year.

The risk with shooting seagulls, is that most shooters probably can't differentiate between those you can shoot and those you can't, therby risking the full wrath of the law.

One thing is for sure, the General Public can't tell the difference.

So don't be surprised if your Farmer, or the Police, get a telephone call that "there is a bloke shooting seagulls out in the field", which will no doubt land you in some level of inconvenience.

They are not an agricultural pest, their true "vermin" status is very limited, you certainly don't want to eat them, so why bother shooting them ?

Hi everybody,

Quick question for you all, I do see a lot of gulls around my area, I personally don't shoot them due to the fact that I can't do a stew with them.

Question: Why are on the vermin list? what is a good "reason"for the kill? Why Defra is allowing all of us to hunt them?

Cheers

Mark

Hi everybody,

Quick question for you all, I do see a lot of gulls around my area, I personally don't shoot them due to the fact that I can't do a stew with them.

Question: Why are on the vermin list? what is a good "reason"for the kill? Why Defra is allowing all of us to hunt them?

Marco,

If you were really hungry you would (and could) stew them!

The Great Black-backed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull and the Herring Gull are on the quarry list because there numbers are v.high and they pose a threat of desease to livestock,foodstuffs and fisheries etc.

There are approx 20 species of Gull, so unless you are capable of recognising the three types on the quarry list, don't shoot any because some RSBP anorak might be glassing you and there is a massive fine for shooting any protected bird species plus your shot gun ticket would automatically be revoked!

C.B.

Edited by Country Boy