BMW X5, or somethink else?

rb5037

Thinking of getting one

1. Baby on the way

2. Loads of room for baby bits and pieces. (Gun, camo, decoys etc)

3. handy for shooting :). As i normaly use my van or scoob.

The wife will drive it most of the time as i have my car, it's to replace hers.

Have you got one, been in one as i've not test driven one yet, or can you recomend something else.

Pro's and con's please (not to many con's:))

Tried the freelander, can't sit up straight. Not enough head room (6'2").

Can spend upto 30k ish.

Thanks Adam

My father-in-law was in the market for a larger car because of all his gran children.

Looked at the X5 and he said there was no boot room at all.

He bought a shogun instead and has alway said he was glad he did.

You can pick up a super s/h shogun for alot less than 30k

The wife will drive it most of the time as i have my car, it's to replace hers.

Can spend upto 30k ish.

Volvo XC 90 D SE for about 30G,s satisfy all of your criteria. Is a superb piece of kit. Youre wife will love it. My Brother has one and he is in the business. He rekons he has never driven a better motor and he has driven more than Jeremy Clarkson. ( Honest!)

My boss has an X5, does a lot of shooting and has been pulled out of the field by me in the companies Trooper twice this year... Boy are they **** off road or what.

If you have a baby on the way you will need that money mate believe me so dont rush into a deal just for the image!

Also consider the Suzuki GV 7 2.00 TD or 2.7 V6 much underrated vehicles with superb engines and REAL Off road capability. I recently went to the local Pebley Beach ( Suzuki dealer) 4 x 4 open day in Bathhurst Estate and was amazed at their performance. I recently had a 2.5 V6 GV and it was awesome off road... Kick *** Freelander, Disco, RR, Shogun, Xtrail, Maverick, Terrano, Mercedes X5.... No Problem at all... Big plus they are 10G,s cheaper... That one hell of a lot of Pampers mate believe me...

Am just doing a job for a local landy dealer and even he says the FL is **** for the money.!!!

Good luck.

FM.

Had a sit in one other week while I was out tyre kicking. I'm in the process of buying a 4x4. Thinking of buying a Shogun sports 2.5TD.

The range starts @ £16995

Anyone got any comments the shogun sports

I've had a few strange looks from people while out T-kicking whilst I have been measuring width & lengh of the 4X4.

I think alot of the 4x4 will only just fit in a standard garage, then you have to open the doors to get out

Jonno

Considered the VW Touareg?:P?

It's absolutely awesome on and off road. Looks good and has the most torque in any diesel comparison. I've seen one tow a Combine Harvester across a field as if it was a car trailer!!

Solid VW reliability but just look at it! Ugggggggly. :D

They are selling so poorly wait 18 months and they will be giving them away... :):)

Anyone got any comments the shogun sports

Yes,

My other boss has one and Ive driven it regularly, good on the blacktop and well appointed but more of a Motorway cruiser in my opinion. We also have Three Mitzi 4 life D/Cabs 2.5 diesels... Now there is a beast. :) I think you will see a fourth added to the company fleet and a Shogun sport back on the Garage forecourt. :)

XC90 a true seven seater always a plus with children on the way

X5 my old boss had one had to leave it at home in the snow

Second hand Range Rovers are coming down in price all the time soon be sub £30k

What about a Disco good offroad even better once you've put decent tyres on it penty of head room fold down third row of seats and easy to drive for the wife

Land Cruisers also good cars lots of space and good off road

Shoguns not quite there with interior but good car none the less

For £30k you've got the pick of the bunch really best go out test them all and see which one you like the best yourself. Not many places will turn you down for a 24 hour test drive if you've got money like that to spend.

Squint

My son in law had an X5 soon after they came out but only had it for just over 12 months and now has been running a Mitsi L200 which he finds ideal for his business use,private use and off road use.

The X5 was a luxury on road vehicle but virtually useless off.

Thanks guys for all the replys.

It's good to get some feedback from people that have had the experiance.

Will have to go and look at the Volvo me thinks :*) Didn't think i would ever say that. Oh well !

Thanks again, your comments are still very wellcome

Adam.

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee and love it. It goes very well off road but has all the goodies and comfort for day to day use. It's also been voted 4 x 4 magazine 'best off roader'. The X5 didn't fair so well! ;) see the report below -

JEEP® GRAND CHEROKEE VOTED THE WORLD’S BEST OFF-ROADER

17 Jun 2004

In a unique shootout between 10 of the UK’s favourite five-door off-roaders, 4x4 magazine has voted the Jeep® Grand Cherokee its ‘World’s Best Off-Roader’.

In a series of tests – each designed to put every vehicle through real off-road situations – the 2.7 CRD Grand Cherokee was awarded 193 points out of a possible 250.

John Carroll, editor of 4x4 magazine, said: "This test wasn’t about just driving the vehicles through the biggest mud-hole we could find. With a spirit-level, protractor and tape measure, it was about measuring their competence in a true off-road environment.

"Our judges felt that Jeep’s Grand Cherokee stood out as being the most capable, this-will-go-anywhere vehicle. The Jeep’s coil-spring suspension and Quadra-Drive system puts the Grand Cherokee in a different off-road league to the others and makes it a worthy holder of the title of World’s Best Off-Roader."

Vehicle

1 Jeep Grand Cherokee 193

2 Toyota Land Cruiser 184

3 Nissan Terrano 166

4 Nissan Patrol 162

5 Mitsubishi Shogun 160

6 Land Rover Discovery 157

7 Hyundai Terracan 144

8 Kia Sorento 143

9 Mercedes-Benz ML 130

10 BMW X5 105

The 10 tests looked at key off-road criteria such as suspension flexibility and approach and departure angles, as well as ground clearance and axle articulation. The testing also included real world tests with each car completing a hillclimb and obstacle courses.

Simon Elliott, Managing Director of the Chrysler Group in the UK, said: "We are delighted that 4x4 magazine has awarded the Grand Cherokee the coveted title of the World's Best Off-Roader. At home in the city or the country the Grand Cherokee is exceptional in every way. The expert panel of judges from the UK's top off-roading magazine has certainly proved that the Grand Cherokee is king of 4x4s."

This report came from the 4 x 4 news web site -http://www.4x4news.co.uk/

It has lot's of good reviews.

Hi!

i have recently driven th Merc,Volvo and BMW but I was particularly impressed with the Touareq that I tried for 3 days.Its by far the most capable off road and its fine on the road.Its very spacious and luxurious and much cheaper.I have ordered the 2.5 tdi for 32k and its loaded with extras.I totally disagree with FM but thats a personal preference.At least test drive that before you decide!

Ernya!

BMW wanted Rover group for years but didn't realise how bad the build quality was so all they did was give a 5 series 4x4 nothing else but they did give rover BMW engines, which only made the best even better and did not make the BMW cars good offroaders just 4x4 estates.

I was totally converted to the Landcruiser last week.

We just got back from holiday in Dubai, where we went on a desert safari. The fleet consisted of 8 Landcruisers, and what they did with those vehicles was unbelievable !

Up, down and across very scary inclines in soft sand, and these vehicles never missed a beat, never even looked like tipping, and never got stuck.

The owner of the company told me afterwards that they weren't even pushing the

limits of the vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...