pea fields

• 2 weeks later...
can anyone explain why there not touching the cut pea field, :huh:

Pea fields were always one of my favourite crops as you could always guarantee a bit of shooting from sowing right through until the bumper time when they are cut.

For some reason i have found that for the past 2 years this has not been the case and just like yourself i visited a pea stubble just after cutting last week and on 2 visits never saw a single bird.

Perhaps some of our farmer members can tell us if they are treating the peas with something that has now made then less palatable to the pigeons.

When you walk around the cut pea fields, have a look for spilt peas.

In the last few years I haven't found many and credit the Farmers improved machinery for this.

What there is the pigeons seem to mop up very quickly and move on.

Its also a fact, that when the peas are being harvested, the birds are spoilt for choice, in mixed farming areas.

The laid cereal crops have been the biggest draw round here this Summer.

Better than pea and rape stubble. :huh:

:huh: Went to a pea field yesterday that i had been watching for months and found it partly cut, the rain last week had stopped the farmer completing it.

Walked onto a cut section and there were peas on the ground all over it.

Pigeons? Two flew off the field. :<

I had abit of a better experience on saturday.There were loads of pigeons on a pea field(not cut yet) but unfortunately they were not decoying as well as I was expecting.I managed to shoot about 20 but then noticed a very good flightline across some trees about 150 yards away.I left my decoys where they were and moved to the trees.I had some splendid shots and ended up with 41.Unfortunately I wont be able to shoot that field again as the gamekeeper has put some partidges nearby...

I`m a 1st timer on any forums but I thought I`d add my tuppence worth.First peas are big bits of protein and when cut are easy to harvest[unless the combine is duff].rape seed is small and easily spilled out over the field especially after rain & if swathed[cut & laid to dry]so a pigeon will choose to pick away on a cut rape field.I have also had probs on fields that have been sprayed & I had a chat with the guy doing it,he said it was a desicating [drying]spray and after it was sprayed the birds hardly looked at it.However this year has been brilliant for me,but not for pigeons or farmers.The pea combine kept choking up and every now & again there would be a strip of peas 5-10 yds long so the birds didn`t have too far to go to top up belly & crop eventually there were around 1000 birds at any one time on the 2 adjacent pea fields,not only that but in the next field was laid patches of milky wheat!!!Needless to say myself & afew pals had a very enjoyable 3 week spell,I just hope my eye is still in next week for the ducks!!!TIP OF THE SEASON-Time spent on reconnaisance[?]is never wasted.

• 1 month later...