B.A.S.C. (please comment)

lock&load

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be with The CA but they made such a hash of trying to prevent the ban on Fox Hunting ( too little too late) That I became disillusioned with them. I appreciate that they have a massive membership but many of them are hangers on from the stockbroker belt who consider it fashionable to shoot at a Pheasant or chase a fox without any understanding of why. I actually attended both Rallies and to be honest many of the people there were not Country people at all just along for the day out with Rupert and Sophie and a chance to wear the newest country fashion. Most of em wouldnt know the difference between a Pheasant & a Partridge and think Venison is a posh name for best Angus from Waitrose......Anyway im going slightly off thread now with this one. <_<

FM

hi thanks for you views but i can say now it was not like that wen i was there but like i say things change from good to bad n from bad to good best regards :good:

I`ve rung BASC on a couple of occasions for advice. Cant think of a time when i would need after hours advice, and the thought of someone sat by the phone on overtime, out of hours, waiting for a call which will likely never come, just leaves me thinking, how expensive. If people really are too impatient to wait untill a weekday then perhaps the service could be offered by way of a "duty pager" which the member calls with the understanding that any advice given will be charged for.

The person carrying the pager gets a flat rate, but can go home and carry on as normal, but must respond to the pager. The membership dont have to pay for someone to sit at BASC towers on overtime. However i suspect the service will see little use, but our dues stand a chance of not increasing.

Mark

Prod all you like.

Your organisation obviously believes that it can do the job all on its own. Good luck.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/joint_statement_on_wildli

webber

thanks mate.

is it so hard to understand that any one organization can norganizationot be right for everyone.

if they was such a group, i am sure we would all be members. as for the rest of your ramblings i am registered disabled thanks.

I'm not 100% sure what folks really expect for their membership monies from BASC but going by some comments in this post - I think some feel it is far more than it says on the tin. The site clearly states what it offers and when it can be contacted. It does not at any point say 24 hour availablity or support.

It does say if offers legal advice - but for me, at weekends, that means either a pet solicitor of your own or the duty one available down at the local nick. If it is your pet one, he/she should know what sports you are into and have been ready to support you with knowledge -after all - that is why you pay for them to be your pet/favourite one (if you can afford it).

Failing that, the duty solicitor at the local has a duty to serve the clients interest to the best of their ability .......... and there lies the crunch. If - as it turns out - you know more than she/he, then you need to advise them where to look and at what aspects of the law to take into account when doing so. Having said all that and the worst comes to the worst and your guns are confiscated - make sure you get a receipt for them and make sure it is signed not printed.

If it gets even worse - and you are cautioned - state that you are not accepting the caution and want that recorded for the record (that way you are stating clearly that you think you have no guilt at all in the matter concerend. With that last factor, you may then be told you will be spending some time in the cells - until a judge can see you on Monday at the earliest.....don't let that frighten you, its warm and you get fed. You may even get to watch some TV and get a mag to read. :hmm:

To Loackandloads original query about should there be some kind of weekend service - I say yes - but, I would temper that by saying only where there is a real possibilty of someone being locked up unjustly. Anything else I would say should have, or could have been checked out prior to the event in most instances.

To Loackandloads rant in this thread - I would also say cool it man - this is a good site regardless of all the **** that has been going on recently. There are many on here who will speak first and apologise later and they seem to be good people - just give them a chance - you don't know any of us personally so please don't be so free with your public opinions of us. It is a two way system a site like this - but it aint personal. <_<:good::yes:

Pushkin :D

PS whatever happened to all the old hands who used to be able to quote common law, our rights and our responsibilities about all things to do with game and fishing?:yes: These old characters were like gods when I was young un :lol::oops::yes:

Edited by Pushkin

Tulky

I doubt that BASC could afford me; although I may stand for election to the council when I retire.

I just feel that I need to defend an organisation that I appreciate, and supports the sport that I love.

I do get a little annoyed, I almost typed ****** off, when people support organisations which claim to do something, when they clearly dont or cant due to lack of members and funding. Yet their members basque in the limelight of work conducted by BASC, paid for by its members.

I would compare this to people who wont work, dont pay tax etc who constantly complain about government services, yet contribute nothing towards them, other than patronage.

webber

Mark

Prod all you like.

Your organisation obviously believes that it can do the job all on its own. Good luck.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/joint_statement_on_wildli

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/joint_snaring_statement

webber

This is what really really ****** me off about basc they spend so much time slagging off other fieldsports organisations.Its allways look at how great we are and how badly run,underfunded,understaffed and just generally **** every other organisation is compared to us,we are great,everyone else is **** and every opportunity we get to say it, we are going to.

Unfortunatly its an income and a good one at that for many of those who work at basc and they will do what they have to do to protect that income and imo a lot of them spend far to much time belittling every other organisation when they would be better off trying to promote our sport and preserve what little rights we have left as fieldsports people instead of the constant slagging of other organisations.

Who was it that recommended .17 hmr was not a suitable round for fox ?

agreed over 100 yrd,s but well capable under the 100 yrd bracket .

My personal opinion of basc is they offer help with words only , when i applied for the .223 i was told if you have the land

and reason to own one then they cannot refuse you . got Refused and rang basc to be told just wait twelve months and

re- apply .

Sorry but im with Mark on this one as i can get as much help of forums as i can basc . :good:

The insurance i will get for £25.00 thanks <_<

IMHO

Edited by magman

All im gona say is you want a 24h legal advise service for £50 or whatever it is !! WHAT PLANET !! no in reality you cant be serious can you !!

blaming them for you missing out is lame and i would shoulder the blame myself for not finding out what i needed in good time personally ..

Would you blame the tax office if you filed your return late and got a fine coz the help line wasn't open 24/7 lol try it ....

All i can say is i needed them on 2 occasions for some solid legal advise not coz i was in trouble or needed to claim

They where very good and even followed up by calling a 3rd party and offering them advise the should have legally known and thus helping me out ,and then even called back a day later to see if it was resolved !!!!

and on the other occasion the liaised with a government agency to provide them with guidance and information again for my benefit ...

My personal opinion of basc is they offer help with words only , when i applied for the .223 i was told if you have the land

and reason to own one then they cannot refuse you . got Refused and rang basc to be told just wait twelve months and

re- apply .

i wonder how many more of the 100,000 members have had to pay 60 notes for the same advice that could have been had for nothing.

I doubt that if a member called and said they had trouble getting a rifle calibre cleared by their FLO our advice would simply be wait 12 months, I suspect there is more to this, and would be happy to investigate and report back if you are willing to give more details.

Black Bart, Well OK, I accept that sometime I may shoot from the hip to defend BASC, when people say we are exactly the same as XYZ organisation. I say it as I see it- if the cap fits…….

Mark, oh Mark never miss an opportunity eh- good luck to you. By the way we have 127,000 members, not 100,000, most of who will never contact us but put their money and faith in BASC to keep shooting safe.

David

magnan

I can to a degree see your point about getting information from forums. However from my experience much of the information proffered originally emanates from the BASC website, be it directly or indirectly matters not.

Take a detailed look at some of the other organisations websites and then fairly contrast them with the BASC site; in my opinion, no other comes close. The quality and quantity of information does come at a price.

The BASC firearms department has at least 5 members of staff. I noted a recent press release from one organisation announcing that they had obtained the services on a voluntary basis of a retired BASC firearms adviser, which is obviously good; but I do now wonder what the provision was before this acquisition.

webber

me pal last week Refused 243 even though i had permission for fox and deer basc said the same to me

sad fact that post like this are very common theses days, perhaps another organization could better help you.

but how many people just blindly join an organization just because its in there face all the time, and when they are needed cant or wont do anything to help.

no one can know how in advance how good the help they get will be .

but once you have tried the best, there is always the rest.

i have read meny posts and am sorry i ever posted this topic as like a pack of dogs i have watched those who appear or think they are higher in the food chain of the forum take bites out of the little guy cus he dont share your veiws.god help anyone who ever gets a real problem like myself and a friend did 4 years ago when some dogood old dear saw a lamp in a near by feild only to be swamped by armed officers at gun point shouting and screaming,its ******g scary,and a duty solisitor that dont know **** i did not have basc membership then but would it have done any good if i did on a friday night,all i am saying is it would be nice to have somewere to turn in such an event and beleive me it dose happen more than you think !! and webber i think you would make a great mp as long as its in your best intrest ? no offence

god help anyone who ever gets a real problem like myself and a friend did 4 years ago when some dogood old dear saw a lamp in a near by feild only to be swamped by armed officers at gun point shouting and screaming,its ******g scary,and a duty solisitor that dont know **** i did not have basc membership then but would it have done any good if i did on a friday night,all i am saying is it would be nice to have somewere to turn in such an event and beleive me it dose happen more than you think !!

Surely LL that could have being sorted with a phone call to whoever owned the land? Why did you need the duty solicter if you had permission?

BJ.

:hmm:

I doubt that if a member called and said they had trouble getting a rifle calibre cleared by their FLO our advice would simply be wait 12 months

ok im lying <_<

Also rang a few weeks back as i wanted vermin on the .223 as i am having two take out two rifles as i like to shoot a fresh rabbit as bait when foxing . Was advised to write a letter qouteing secton 22 paragragh 13 & 14 flexability for pest and game .

Thats all you can try . :yes: ok thanks again

ps , they offered me 22 mag 22 hornet or 17 rem with no problem for vermin and fox , i said already have 3 rifle,s that will do all i want .

Webber you sold it to me before but having been there i feel its a time for a change at the end of the month :good:

I doubt that if a member called and said they had trouble getting a rifle calibre cleared by their FLO our advice would simply be wait 12 months,

why would you doubt this please.

as this is exactly what my firearms department told me. and the advice from basc was ( after waiting a fortnight for it) do as they say.

Mark, oh Mark never miss an opportunity eh

bit like some of your fans you mean.

By the way we have 127,000 members, not 100,000

do apologies mate just some miss information from one of your followers.

Wow, BASC bashing is in full season yet again.

Lets accept that no organisation can satisfy the needs of all of it's members all of the time.

I've had an excellent record with BASC when I've needed it's help. As a result of this BASC is OK with me.

Years ago I thought that BASC catered too much for the snooty game shooting crowd - to me this was reinforced by the 'posh' dress code that they have at game fairs and some of the toffy nosed individuals that they have at their stands. To a northener this stuck up my nose and in my throat.

With years came experience, and there can be little doubt that if BASC did not have such a 'professional' attitude (to some) then they would have less political clout where it matters - to the ignorant mob that we call politicians.

Undoubtedly BASC can get it wrong sometimes - hands up the people on this forum that don't. OK we expect 100% results from an organisation that we pay membership to, but as long as most of the time they get it right then they will keep the membership. We have the misfortune that different police forces wish to interpret the rules on firearm ownership in their own way - hence general advise from BASC may end up being refuted by individual police firearms departments.

Shooters need an organisation to represent them, otherwise we will have our sport reduced to nothing in this politically correct world. At this moment in time BASC does it OK for me.....

Rant over

Don

Wow, BASC bashing is in full season yet again.

Lets accept that no organisation can satisfy the needs of all of it's members all of the time.

I've had an excellent record with BASC when I've needed it's help. As a result of this BASC is OK with me.

Years ago I thought that BASC catered too much for the snooty game shooting crowd - to me this was reinforced by the 'posh' dress code that they have at game fairs and some of the toffy nosed individuals that they have at their stands. To a northener this stuck up my nose and in my throat.

With years came experience, and there can be little doubt that if BASC did not have such a 'professional' attitude (to some) then they would have less political clout where it matters - to the ignorant mob that we call politicians.

Undoubtedly BASC can get it wrong sometimes - hands up the people on this forum that don't. OK we expect 100% results from an organisation that we pay membership to, but as long as most of the time they get it right then they will keep the membership. We have the misfortune that different police forces wish to interpret the rules on firearm ownership in their own way - hence general advise from BASC may end up being refuted by individual police firearms departments.

Shooters need an organisation to represent them, otherwise we will have our sport reduced to nothing in this politically correct world. At this moment in time BASC does it OK for me.....

Rant over

Don

good post don.

you signed on here at 5.34 if you have read all the 5 pages in 2 minutes well done.

basc bashing, come on.

L&L

In a number of your replies you have made reference to PW members basically making personal attacks on you. Not really my style, but I am about to:

Possession of an SGC and / or FAC carries with it a degree of responsibility, which for my 10 penoth you seem to repeatedly fail to exercise to an adequate level. Had you done your homework and used your loaf you would not have found it necessary to seek out of hours advise.

How hard is it to carry a photocopy of your permission either in the car. bag, or pocket.

Many members on PW will stand on their heads to help other members, but I do feel that a degree of common sense is required for the process to be beneficial.

webber