Fishing

roelof

I had this arguement with a couple of blokes at work who exclusively seafish. They were horrified at the suggestion but could not see my side which was i fish on privately owned waters that recieve no funding from the EA and have to pay a license fee while you can fish for free in the sea, take what you want and the goverment spends much more on the sea and beaches every year than is raised in revenue from rod licences. Hope they catch crabs

jimDfish

There is a proposal being considered that Sea Anglers will soon be required to pay an annual licence fee of £22, with a weekly licence costing £8.

In return for this licence fee, the Government propose to ban close inshore netting, remove certain fish from the Commercial quota (probably bass) and generally do as much for the Sea Anglers as they do for the Freshwater Anglers. ;)

its all lies boys... it isnt the government who runs the show its the "eu". they decide where peeps{spanish, and french} can net fish. so the government are pulling the wool, as usual. besides they would never be able to police it with bailiffs. just to much coast line to cover, and alot of it is inaccessible to humans, so whats the point !!?? you would need full time defra paid bailiffs in huge amounts to do it all, and even then you would only be touching the tip of the iceberg.

although i agree we need to do something about the bass stocks..........

i am a keen (fairweather) sea angler and while i really see the need for conservation it would just go against the grain to pay to fish in the sea, mainly because the liscence fee would be gobbled up by the goverment and not re-invested in fish conservation.we pay enough taxes as it is and if you had to have a liscense to fish in the sea it would be the last straw.

• 2 weeks later...

i do sea,course and trout,to reply to plinkers post the money from licences goes towards restockig lakes/rivers when there has been a disease/pollution and has wiped out or dramaticly reduced the stocks.Can you really see the goverment replaceing sea stocks when this happens(not that its going to happen because its been knackered by all the netting anyway)just my thoughts

cheers

Having constant dealings with the Environment Agency through work I am not convinced by rod licences at all. Every time I see the latest glossy EA mag or hear about the £££'s being spent on flood defence I have to sit down and count to ten when I think that they have never shown a glimmer of interest when we have had plummeting DO levels or Blue/green blooms on our still waters at the countrypark. :< I have no qualms about paying for a licence if the money is re- invested into angling but the sad story is, since the NRA became the EA, our money seems to be getting gobbled up in the system. :oops:

dad was telling me last night, it is going to cost every person to go Sea Fishing £22/year, and the government will make about £3.2million, but at the same time, it will cost them £5million to collect the money, and govern it.

1 of the local policemen, who we know well, told us that the government is trying to take most of the power out of the Country folk, by knocking out Fishing, Fox Hunting, and Shooting, just to get votes, and if Gordan Brown comes in, we all may aswell sell our land and sports up.

- not what ive made up, what local coppers have told us.

Aled