best website for downloading music

flash

Look that's harsh to @james, I've had a few ales, no excuse though!

When you know **** it's hard to hold back, especially when people post nonsense!

You admit it's not your field and I have done that enough times on here, so sorry mate!

When it's your filed though, its hard to hold back :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, absolutely.

They can tell what you downloaded and when.

My concern is primarily other things on my pc, bank details etc can they access that too? and how do they know what you have downloaded? is it because you are 'sharing' it back out again?

In theory those are safe.

I say in theory as essentially you have said, by downloading limewire, "I trust you and do as you please with my computer"

I couldn't assert if you've been had, you might have been.

The major problem with people giving applications permission to do anything they like (and you have, you said YES) is that they can do ANYTHING they like.

Emule / donkey had a huge problem a few years ago when a bunch of people decided that hundreds of thousands of people would install that application without thinking - they produced a version which was extremely nasty and it's why installing the app these days sets off so many malware / spyware detectors.

Know this though, even if it's not an "enhanced" version, anyone else in the world can know what you are downloading, and what you have already downloaded.

My other question on it is what is the likelyhood of these systems being implemented quickly and effectively? surely as one of the major internet uses, an ISP that starts banning downloaders first is going to lose a huge amount of customers as everyone flees to a safer ISP that is still allowing illgeal downloading?

Major problem is this :-

ISP's see themselves an an enabler - they don't make people do anything and don't encourage anything.

The government realises there is no way to police this unless they involve the ISP.

Problem comes when the ISP doesn't see the need to police, record or otherwise hinder it's customers. Most don't, or if they do are not advanced in coming towards compliance.

Going back to P2P, the decision is already made, the ISP doesn't need to help the record companies they can help themselves.

Traffic filtering at the ISP level is a VERY hot potato and is being discussed at the highest level. One example of British human rights which seems fair - other countries have a remit to KEEP, on RECORD, ALL traffic from ALL customers, for 10 years.

We are a long way from that, but the days of the "Wild West" of the internet, are long gone.

Teal, the record companies have managed the transition to "online" very badly, they needed to embrace it years ago and they'd have made a killing.

Instead they have chosen to prohibit, and as we know prohibition doesn't work. Acting like spoilt children they are spending vast sums on "policing" this. They have previously just gone after the "worst" offenders, but I am aware of people being harassed and prosecuted for having 30 songs shared.

Only going to get worse.

Yep russ, spot on.

It was back in Jan 2006 ( see http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006/jan/27/newmedia.news) that the BPI gained precedent in this case, opening the door to many similar prosecutions.

Since this date the high court has gained the power to force ISP's to hand over the details of file sharers in order that they can be prosecuted. The internet has changed a lot, at one time it was like the wild west - now it's more like a police state but must people seem not to have noticed or don't understand the risks they are taking.

Especially at risk are those who have company paid for broadband or similar, get prosecuted and you'll probably end up getting sacked as well.

For what it's worth I am no do-gooder, as far as I am concerned I think the BPI and the record labels it represents have only got themselves to blame for being so short-sighted.

:good:

If you use such things couple of tips to reduce the chances of getting busted..

Only download a few songs at a time

Once you have them move them from where they download to and restart the p2p client

This will reduce your "footprint" and even if you are a massive downloader, if the files are left where they download to the client is sharing what you have to the whole world, leave a few dozen in there and you look like someone distributing music and you'll get nailed.

Pin,

I've read you recent posts regarding music downloads with great interest. Thanks for all your advice so far.

Regarding your tip "Once you have them move them from where they download to and restart the p2p client" Surely this is what's commonly known as leeching. If everyone leeched, there would be no P2P.

If I have read everything correctly, it would appear that P2P was fun whilst it lasted but now is the time to start paying for our music.

Lastly, I would like to know you views on downloading older, not available to buy, music.

Thanks in advance. TGC

Edited by The Great Cornholio

Your right about the leeching thing, it's not "in the spirit" of p2p - however its every man for himself out there.

Leave a few songs shared for a "reasonable" time and you are kind of doing what's expected, leave too many and you'll get nailed.

As to the stuff you can't buy, well in theory the same laws apply (as in there will be a copyright holder somewhere that might get annoyed) - there is the 50 year rule that applies to some older stuff whereby after that time the copyright expires (only for some kinds of thing) and you'd probably be unlucky to get done for it.

I missed one part out, the part about starting to pay for music, well I never said that :lol: I just said p2p is dangerous, have a look at my posts about newsgroups - used to be hard to fathom and get everything working (well, to a complete novice) but these days people index what's out there and make it easy to fetch and decode posts into the files you want.

The benefit of newsgroups are that you are not sharing what you download, the info is stored out there on a providers server (some ISP's give news server access with broadband accounts, they all used to but it's considered "old hat" now) - you can pay for a better service (longer retention of posted items etc) for a few pounds a month.

With news the providers hide behind the "we don't know what's posted, we just provide access" argument which has not yet been dealt with in any great way - since the provider won't hand out details to the copyright holder they'd have a job knowing what you were up to :lol:

Edited by pin

Out of interest, how many successful prosecutions have there been in the UK for 'illegal filesharing'?

It's not easy to prove. 'They' have to get your IP address legally, then get a court order to get your details from your ISP. Then when you get the scary letter from the solicitor demanding recompense on threat of legal action, you can deny it and argue that your wireless network may have been compromised as wireless networks are inherently insecure. And then if they drag you to court, it's a civil copywrite issue and not a criminal issue anyway.

The perception is it's not easy to prove, your IP address isn't private, the ISP's will willingly hand over your details if asked to do so by an appropriate agent.

It is easy to prove imho :good:

I hear what you are saying about a possible ignorance defence, however if you played that card you'd better be clever enough to make it look like that's what happened :hmm: