Winter Wheat - Rain delays?

Teal

Has the rain been hitting other parts of the country sporadically as I imagine this is setting back the harvest of wheat quite considerably - is this the case, I'm stuck in central london and can't see for myself. Is there a danger if the bad weather continues the crop could begin to brown and be spoiled, does anyone know the forecast for this coming week?

Regards,

Teal.

The wheat is certainly getting very brown in my part of Kent.

The interesting thing is, that the weather has been good enough in the past three days to have cut at least some of it.

I think the Farmers are waiting for the Contractors, as much as the better weather.

These are booked a year in advance for specific weeks and the Farmer takes the gamble. :angry:

Type in the location you want and get a 5 day forecast here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/ :huh:

i was talking to the farmer yesterday,he was not a happy bunny, he was cursing the rain & saying he needs at least two or three good days of sun to dry the wheat out before cutting it.He had cut a tiny strip but said it was a bit wet.I suppose he's got a point being upset thats his wages sitting in the field waiting to be cut.

Last year farmers in Britan made a good profit with winter wheat as there were droughts accross central europe and thus a shortage and so premiums were paid, it's interesting how the weather can really dictate their financial success. Are there lower prices paid when it gets brown, or do they still have a few more weeks to harvest if the weather takes a while to improve?

Im not sure about weat put i think it was the same last year when the barley was cut it was not worth that much about £60 a ton so if farmers sold it then ther wasnt much profit to be made. throught the winter it went all the way up to £115 where it peaked and then went back down. This year it is curently worth about £57 and i very much doubt that it will go up much a couple of quid maybe.

As for being wet it will take a few days to get rid of all of the water we are planning on starting again on tuesday if it is dry till then. Its still to wet to be going anywhere with a tractor at the moment here but it makes it more fun on my quad anyway so im happy

the farmers round by us have lost about 70% of there crop from wind and rain it is now flat the main problem is its flour wheat and is now going black all its good for know is silage unless we have a fortnight of hot dry weather then its a write off