Sausage making

njc110381

I finally got around to making some sausages over the last couple of days. I wanted to try out my new machine that I bought some time ago. Unfortunately, I've never got around to it until now. I forgot to take pictures of the mincing part which is a shame, but I've got a few of work in progress.

Here's the stuffer half way through the job. I had to stop for a refill!

PIC_0001.jpg

A pic of some of my handywork, not bad for a beginner?

PIC_0002.jpg

Here's a pic of me, sausage in hand. As I found out, if you grip your sausage to hard you can rip the skin (no comments please)!

PIC_0003.jpg

The end product, I made more than I thought I would. The trouble is, what do you do with the contents of the nozzle :lol:

PIC_0004.jpg

In the end I just pushed the last bit out with a spoon handle and shoved it in the frying pan. Shaped it into a rough square and had it in a roll with ketchup. I was working to HenryDs savoury recipe, and I have to say that for rabbit it was pretty good. The mix smells lovely before cooking, but the smell of hot rabbit is in my opinion nasty to say the least! If you like it (which a lot of people do) then I recon this is one to try. It's the best rabbit I've ever eaten.

I need to get myself a Roe now. Some sausages that I really like the taste of would be perfect :lol:

myself and the auld man make sausages and i must say it gets quite fun trying out new things. are you using collagen casings or proper ones?

we find the best way to get the stuff left in the mixer and tube id put slices of bread through,it also helps the cleaning process.

did you do them on your own?

James

i used to make 600 sauseges and 1000 burgers a day by hand and its real funn isant it

i used to save all the scrap sausage meat and then after 3 days i would make a sausage for my self with beef pork and lamb in it

top tip wet your hand it makes it run out more freely

I didn't have any problem with the skins running smoothly, but then I did use the collagen casings. From what I can make of it they're easier to use, and store much more easily. I'm going to try making some faggot type mix with bits of heart etc next, I recon that could come out well.

It's quite sad I don't like Rabbit. As a rule I'll eat almost anything but the things I shoot seem to be a little nasty. I really wish I could enjoy Rabbit and Pigeon, but I don't like it a lot. I'm working on the idea that if I eat something a few times I'll adapt to the taste. I'm getting there slowly, but it's not fun :lol:

Well done, as for the taste of pigeon and rabbit, try soaking the rabbit in milk overnight and with the pigeon try to get it in the late spring through to early winter for the best tasting as they are off rape and taste better. If you want to get to like it try using 50/50 pigeon and pork and using it as mince with a bolognaise sauce etc. that way you will get to enjoy the "meatier" flavour.

Again well done !

I can just cope with pigeon. I think it tastes a lot like liver but with a beef texture. All the game I've cooked and enjoyed has been stewed with vast amounts of red wine, which seems to improve it a lot. My bolognaise sauce has half a bottle of red wine in it, so I'll try it next time I get some pigeon. I'm going to try some of the tomato based sausages next time I get the bunnies in, and I also wondered about throwing a good slug of port in to improve the flavour. I'm keen to eat these things, but for some reason the only shot food I like is Duck, goose and Venison. I'll try the milk trick, but I'd rather try to get used to it as it is really :good:

I wouldn`t advise the port, as on the sites in the know, they say you need an awful lot for a little flavour, so your better off drinking the port :good:

The liver flavour in pigeon is their use of rape and brassicas in the winter and the use of milk with bunnies can be gradually reduced as you get used to it, I don`t notice it after it`s cooked even without soaking.

To be honest I'm willing to try anything to make the bunnies taste better. Now I'm getting my mentor removed from my FAC I'll be getting out a lot more. I can give whatever I don't want to the butcher, but I'd like to eat a bit of what I shoot. That's half the reason for going shooting in the first place!

Looks very good for a first timer!

A little tip is when letting the skin over the stuffer squeeze the top and bottom of the skin slightly to try and expel any air you may get trapped in the mix!

I am making 10lb this week

5lb of Pigeon and pork and 5lb of Venison sausages :P

Went to the butchers this morning and bought the belly pork just over 6.5lb worth with ribs in and skin on!

Skinned the meat and removed the ribs brings it to a perfect 5lb just right for what I need (put the ribs in the freezer for later) the ribs will make a good soup stock OR I may make chinese spare ribs :P

The rest was minced down and is ready to go when the Venison and Pigeon thaw out!! :lol:

Have to get them ready for the Stead hall meet up on Sunday :blink:

"It's quite sad I don't like Rabbit. As a rule I'll eat almost anything but the things I shoot seem to be a little nasty. I really wish I could enjoy Rabbit and Pigeon, but I don't like it a lot. I'm working on the idea that if I eat something a few times I'll adapt to the taste. I'm getting there slowly, but it's not fun "

Old rabbit is never fun to my taste, have you tried young, half grown rabbit? Different entirely, an old buck could put you off rabbit for life. As for pigeon, I like the taste but cooking it so that it is tender just ain't possible, even 8 hours in a slow cooker does not tenderise it. Mincing it and making meat loaf, now we are talking!

A little tip is when letting the skin over the stuffer squeeze the top and bottom of the skin slightly to try and expel any air you may get trapped in the mix!

5lb of Pigeon and pork and 5lb of Venison sausages :lol:

Went to the butchers this morning and bought the belly pork just over 6.5lb worth with ribs in and skin on!

Skinned the meat and removed the ribs brings it to a perfect 5lb just right for what I need (put the ribs in the freezer for later) the ribs will make a good soup stock OR I may make chinese spare ribs :good:

The rest was minced down and is ready to go when the Venison and Pigeon thaw out!! :lol:

Have to get them ready for the Stead hall meet up on Sunday :o

good man M,crack on mate. :good:

well done neil by the way.how much a pound posted please.

Edited by markbivvy

Skinned the meat and removed the ribs brings it to a perfect 5lb just right for what I need (put the ribs in the freezer for later) the ribs will make a good soup stock OR I may make chinese spare ribs :good:

The rest was minced down and is ready to go when the Venison and Pigeon thaw out!! :good:

Have to get them ready for the Stead hall meet up on Sunday :lol:

Might have guessed Bivvy wouldn't be far away from food. :o :good: :good:

Where's the best places to get skins from? I've had a machine for a while but can't find where to get the skins. Condoms are too chewy. :good:

The rest was minced down and is ready to go when the Venison and Pigeon thaw out!! :good:

Might have guessed Bivvy wouldn't be far away from food. :o :good::good:

Where's the best places to get skins from? I've had a machine for a while but can't find where to get the skins. Condoms are too chewy. :good:

after what you have done to her rifle it will take more than a bit of your sausage to smooth her over.

after what you have done to her rifle it will take more than a bit of your sausage to smooth her over.

What d'you mean a bit? That's all I've got. At least I can see mine. :good::P

5lb of Pigeon and pork and 5lb of Venison sausages :good:

What d'you mean a bit? That's all I've got. At least I can see mine. :P:P

till you go to sleep tonight :lol:

Where's the best places to get skins from? I've had a machine for a while but can't find where to get the skins. Condoms are too chewy. :/

There is a place called designasausage on the net do enough Hog casing for 40kilo of sausage for £11

they also sell on Evilbay too

They ALSO do all the spices etc but I now make my own of those too as the price for spices pre mixed is extortionate on some sites and is a doddle to make youself