Sillosocks

Hi im not sure what info your after but ive got some silosocks and i followed the instuctions and glued in the rods . I have tried them several times and found that on hammered rape thats short they look a bit od but today on some taller rape they worked great and stand out a treat . my mate laughed at them when he firs saw them and now asks to borrow them if i dont go with him . i hope this is usefull, asap

Thanks for that asap.

I done a search and noticed that alot of people seemed to have trouble with assembling them. I wasn't sure if it was user error rather than the product and I am sure Mr Beasley wouldn't want his Sunday night disturbed by me :angry:

LB

Oh go on LB disturb WB Sunday evening why don't ya!

I've used the sillosocks and they do work (most of the time) but treat them with kid gloves otherwise they'll fall appart and you'll end up doing an awful lot of DIY to keep 'em up to scratch. Mind you I'd say that's pretty much the norm with most of the commercial deeks on the market, no offence to WB and the other retailers but the build quality of many items is s****!

Thanks for that asap.

I done a search and noticed that alot of people seemed to have trouble with assembling them. I wasn't sure if it was user error rather than the product and I am sure Mr Beasley wouldn't want his Sunday night disturbed by me :blink:

LB

• 3 weeks later...

:good::yes: I've just go me new Shootwarehouse Rotary device and a pair of Sillosocks.

Now if you don't know this its good news. The rotary decoy is £65....but you get 5% off for PW member.

But if you buy a pair of Sillosocks, its pushes the price over £100 and then you get 10% discount, getting complicated?

But the other good news is they only charged £8 for postage, which is cheaper than most.

you do need a speed control, (ebay..£15) and all arrived this morning!

Contrary to local news they are easy to assemble than I thought.

Two sets of Carbon rods are supplied.....normal, and thicker for strong winds.

The rods just push through the corrigated gap and go under the wings, through a slot and then into a pocket at each end to hold in place. you have to bend the wings slightly to get both ends in the pockets.........they will not come out..........no need to Glue anything.

My first thought were that they look like a bit of card with to bits of paper attached to them..........BUT!!! they do work very well :good::lol::oops::yes:

To test the Battery life, I've had them going al day from 11am through to 1800.......with an hour break for lunch for me and the Sillo's due to rain.

No problem with the battery.......and once you bend the leading edge and trailing edge on the wings up they do flap and look very real.

Remember though, you do need a speed control with the Sillo's to control the flapping movement to be just right.

Until I've used them in anger I won't know if they will work for real, but at this stage I'm happy. :blink:

:good::yes: I've just go me new Shootwarehouse Rotary device and a pair of Sillosocks.

Now if you don't know this its good news. The rotary decoy is £65....but you get 5% off for PW member.

But if you buy a pair of Sillosocks, its pushes the price over £100 and then you get 10% discount, getting complicated?

But the other good news is they only charged £8 for postage, which is cheaper than most.

you do need a speed control, (ebay..£15) and all arrived this morning!

Contrary to local news they are easy to assemble than I thought.

Two sets of Carbon rods are supplied.....normal, and thicker for strong winds.

The rods just push through the corrigated gap and go under the wings, through a slot and then into a pocket at each end to hold in place. you have to bend the wings slightly to get both ends in the pockets.........they will not come out..........no need to Glue anything.

My first thought were that they look like a bit of card with to bits of paper attached to them..........BUT!!! they do work very well :good::lol::oops::yes:

To test the Battery life, I've had them going al day from 11am through to 1800.......with an hour break for lunch for me and the Sillo's due to rain.

No problem with the battery.......and once you bend the leading edge and trailing edge on the wings up they do flap and look very real.

Remember though, you do need a speed control with the Sillo's to control the flapping movement to be just right.

Until I've used them in anger I won't know if they will work for real, but at this stage I'm happy. :blink:

If nothing else at least these deeks attracted YOU! :hmm::hmm::hmm::lol:

Hope you have a result with them all the best Mutley

I have bought 20 of them and am still unsure. In a light wind they behave ok but in a strong wind they twist and turn to much for my liking. In no wind you have the inconvenience of having to pack them out with bubble wrap or newspaper. They do stand out well and I have shot pigeons over them. The hypa flaps I now only use on bouncers approaching the pattern and I find this more effective than on a magnet. Just my thought but pigeons with wings flapping would surely look like pigeons taking off, not planing into land ?

I am only basing these views on my own thoughts and experience and am really looking forward to other points of view

I suppose however that if you use them as a bouncer at the back of the pattern and fairly low to the ground, as i do, then they will actually replicate a pigeon coming into land as shortly before touch down a pigeon will flap its wings like buggary to slow itself to a stop to land. I must say they do luck life like used as a bouncer and i had a pigeon this week come up right beside it in a strong wind and i swear i saw the pigeon turn its head and luck at the flapper as if to say "WHATS HAPPENING MATE !".

Hi im not sure what info your after but ive got some silosocks and i followed the instuctions and glued in the rods . I have tried them several times and found that on hammered rape thats short they look a bit od but today on some taller rape they worked great and stand out a treat . my mate laughed at them when he firs saw them and now asks to borrow them if i dont go with him . i hope this is usefull, asap

Guys

the key to sillsocks is dont glue

slide a 2.5 mm twin and earth plastic cable clip (the plastic bit) up the rod and mount the deek onto this through the corrigation but not deep enough to reach the white neck coller this allows you to vary the height and the deek swivels well in the wind, works fantastic

Edited by pavman

Guys

slide a 2.5 mm twin and earth plastic cable clip (the plastic bit) up the rod and mount the deek onto this through the corrigation but not deep enough to reach the white neck coller this allows you to vary the height and the deek swivels well in the wind, works fantastic

Pavman, please indulge this idiot and take a pic of the bit you add the rod for me :lol:

LB

Info for all silly might be's??

Don't glue the rods in! :good:

You get two sets of rods...light winds and strong winds.........if you glue them in howare you supposed to change them over. :hmm:

Perhaps.....the early models did not have a choice of rods?? latest instructions say nothing about glueing anything? :lol:

I think some of you are talking at cross purposes. The instructions for Silosock decoys and Silosock Hypa Flaps are different. With the Hypa Flaps you change the carbon wing spars to control the wing flap relative to the wind. In light winds use the thin black spars in stronger winds use the brown (thicker) spars, no gluing. They work and look very good on a bouncer and weigh next to nothing. If I havn't got any dead pigeons for the magnet I start with the Hypa Flaps then put them on the bouners once I have shot a couple of birds for the magnet.

Hope this helps.

Info for all silly might be's??

Don't glue the rods in! :hmm:

You get two sets of rods...light winds and strong winds.........if you glue them in howare you supposed to change them over. :hmm:

Perhaps.....the early models did not have a choice of rods?? latest instructions say nothing about glueing anything? :yes:

gadgit

What you are talking about is the HYPAFLAPS every one else is talking about sillosocks they are entirely different...

You are right you dont glue the rods in on the HYPAFLAPS but you do on the sillysocks..

HYPAFLAPS GO ON YOUR MAGNET...

SILLOSOCK GO TO MAKE THE PATTERN :yes:

• 2 months later...

Guys

Pavman, Do you mean... remove the nail from the 2.5mm Twin and Earth clamp..... insert the steel silly rod through the pin-hole then insert the rod into the silly ? Presumably with the clamp facing down to give a smooth top surface where it meets the the plastic corrigated pigeon body ?

• 2 weeks later...
Sporting Shooter Magazine decoy test on page 30 of the July issue scores them 39/40 ..... Sillosocks are officially the best decoys :lol:

Will, in your experience, and irrespective of the Sporting Shooter test, do you believe Sillosocks to be the best decoys out there?

I beleive they are when its WINDY. On still days they dont work half as well as they dont inflate, however you can get round this by filling them full of bubble wrap.

But lets face it.... we all know still days are cack for decoying so does this actually come into the equation? Well for me it does cos I have to go out whatever the weather when I have clients booked in, but for most I doubt this would be an issue.

• 10 months later...
I suppose however that if you use them as a bouncer at the back of the pattern and fairly low to the ground, as i do, then they will actually replicate a pigeon coming into land as shortly before touch down a pigeon will flap its wings like buggary to slow itself to a stop to land. I must say they do luck life like used as a bouncer and i had a pigeon this week come up right beside it in a strong wind and i swear i saw the pigeon turn its head and luck at the flapper as if to say "WHATS HAPPENING MATE !".

I hope you got him before he could spread the word?