is there any joiners on here

russ91

hi guys is there any joiners on here from the Leeds west York's area. I'm looking for a apprenticeship for September time, i have just completed my first year at Leeds college of building in carpentry and joinery level FCA and i am looking to move over to a apprenticeship so i can get my NVQ's is there any one that could help me out. i am a very keen and hard working lad.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Russ,

I would suggest the yellow pages and write to as many joinery companies as you can.

I am a lecturer in Carpentry and Joinery at my local college and am a joiner by trade. Unfortunately quite a way from you. There is always companies looking to take on young people who are keen and want to work.

Good luck with the search

I do have the phone no. of a company in Armley who may be able to help you. I'll PM you the details

Cheers

Martin

thanks martin i hav writen off to 27 companys so far sending my cv but i fort it was worth posting on here aswell just to see if there was any one on here that could take me on.

Russ, you have my curiosity aroused, how many of these 27 companies replied to your letters? From friends in the same position, the average seems to be around 1 in 30, another sign of the times.

hi guys is there any joiners on here from the Leeds west York's area. I'm looking for a apprenticeship for September time, i have just completed my first year at Leeds college of building in carpentry and joinery level FCA and i am looking to move over to a apprenticeship so i can get my NVQ's is there any one that could help me out. i am a very keen and hard working lad.

Russ

Have you heard about that carpenter chap from nazareth, always looking for joiners.

Sorry Russ couldnt resist it, I hope you are soon fixed up there will always be a demand for skilled tradesmen.

:blush: D2D

Russ

Hello Russ I agree with Martin.

When the lads I teach ask about job placements or apprenticeships I give this advice.

Get your name about, write to all the companies in the area that you want to work in.

Rewrite to them about six weeks later politly remind them that you want a job, work experience.

Phone them up and speak to them and lastly travel round the possible employers and try to

speak to sombody personaly.

From experience I have found that you have to be persistant and get out there and find the job,

don't wait for the work to come to you.

You could always try training agencies These will skill test you and find you the apprenticeship.

They will be able to give you information in the work based learning dept within your college.

http://www.best-ltd.co.uk/best_application_form_shut.html

Try these. BEST are a training agencie that may be able to help.

Do not stop keep on trying. Let them know you are already studying this will prove to possible employers

that you are reliable. Finaly ask your tutors if they know any body, they should have a feel for the situation local to you.

Cheers and all the best

taz

Edited by taz24

russ im a joiner and if i had my time again id train to be a bricklayer,they earn better money,they dont have to spend thousands on tools and they dont have to get over everyone elses rubbish.now joinery is a good trade and i get paid a good wage but when you look at what tools a carry compared to other trades and what the get paid it sometimes doesnt seem worth it :blush:

Don't be starting no debate on who's got it hardest on the building.....

I'm a Plasterer. Now there's a thankless and underrated trade.

same here mostly sorting out the brickies cock-ups or making good holes plumbers/electricians have made

which normally involves a few bricks as well

Russ persevere you will get lucky

eagleye

trust me learn to be a brickie and work on industrial units their getting £1.50 a block and long straight runs,£350 a thousand for bricks as a joiner on site youll get £10-15 to put a door frame in and £17-25 to swing a door and by the time youve done that a brickies laid 70 blocks

Hi Russ,

I am a joiner and if I can give you any advice it would be stick with the college courses even after an apprenticeship.

The more qualifications you get the better, then you could be a site foreman or agent

and sit on your **** all day and take credit for everyone elses work. :angry::lol:

Hi Russ,

I am a joiner and if I can give you any advice it would be stick with the college courses even after an apprenticeship.

The more qualifications you get the better, then you could be a site foreman or agent

and sit on your **** all day and take credit for everyone elses work. :angry::lol:

if i stick with the college and not do a aprentaship i will only get a FCA and a ICA not any NVQ's and inorded for me go do any management courses i hav to hav NVQ's