Problem with finding land

Jon-Boy

Hello everyone, i have tried very hard finding some land to shoot, ive visited numerous farms in my area always with the same answer. I am 22 and feel i am being unsuccessful because of my age. Im a short chap and maybe i don't quite look 22. I really think this is affecting my success.

Does anyone have and tips/recommendations as it seems the farmers think im irresponsible, some have even slammed the door in my face, Literally.

P.s im not some "townie" either who's knocked on the door and said, " alright mate mind if i shoot some birds on ya field"

any help would be great

Cheers Jon

Another ploy is to try and find out who shoots there already (if anyone) and make friends with them.

Local pubs are a mine of information.

You could also "adopt" an older shooter, if you think that would help your credibility.

Team shooters do appeal to Farmers, as they are more confident of getting some coverage, when they need it. :lol:

try getting to know a farmer first then introducing the idea of shooting later. its not always possible i know but if ypour job puts you in touch with different people it helps after building up a rapor you can gently broach the subject of shooting. once the first few bits of permission are granted it will either grow or deminish depending on your performance and behavior. remember its not just getting permission, its keeping it too.

pete

Jon boy

for sure the hardest thing to get is land to shoot over, I think you are spot on with your thoughts on why they are not willing to give you shooting rights.

What I suggest is get onto the yellow pages web site and search for farmers in your area, then get a pen and paper and start phoning them.

your opening line should be, " sorry to bother you but its just a quick call to see if you have a problem with any vermin on your land at the moment or something to that effect"

You will get some farmers who will tell you that they already have guns covering the land and some that will say yes I have a problem with crows or pigeons ect.

Tell them you dont expect them to give you permission to shoot over the phone but would it be possible to come to the farm and have a chat, this way they dont know how old you are and you will have a greater chance of them saying yes when you arrive.

Another method is a letter, this can work a treat and if your a member of a shooting body then get its photocopied and include this with the letter, the land owner knows any damage is covered with insurence, which is good and he will know your serious about the sport of shooting.

I have shot for a while now and getting land is a major task but cold calling has worked for me and other members on the forum.

When you go make sure to take a bottle of wine and some chocolates for the farmers wife, it sets you off on a good foot and ensures you shooting rights for years to come.

good luck and keep us posted if it worked and let us know of anything that worked for you as other members like you will benefit from it.

The PM

Theres some cracking ideas there Pigeon master. I am only really after rabbit/Rat shooting etc as i don't own a shotgun (would'nt mind getting into it though). At present i only have a few non FAC full power silenced .22's. Theres a local clay pigeon club down the road from me where i shoot a few bird from time to time borrowing my friends gun. Maybe a farmer or two down there that i could have words with if i start going on a more regular basis.

One quick question, if he had a problem with say crows/pigeons etc, is it ok to shoot these with an .22 (within range of course) if theyhave landed or this considered un-sporting like. I know this should not be done with a shotgun but whats the general opinion on rifle shots at birds?

JB,

you still stand a chance of getting some vermin control at this time of year, rats are breeding like crazy because the harvest is taking place so the food available to them is massive.

I think connections you could make at the clay club will already be taken by memebers who have been there for some time, but good to shoot a few clays once in a while.

You say you shoot a 22, you can have some of the best sport with a nice airgun, and your question about shooting pigeons on the ground with an airgun is very acceptable. I have never done it but thats because I shoot a shotgun, but i guess it would be very good sport as a pigeon once landed in the field will start to move straight away, so a testing shot for sure. (Crows also.)

good luck with your quest, and i'm sure you will find some land a little closer to home.

The PM

The yellow pages is a godsend. Lots of no's and ****** off's along the way but perseverence does pay off. I just got permission today on a farm that I have been after for years. 1000,s of acres of arable with lots of rabbits and pigeons. Expect pics soon.

JimD

Jon boy

for sure the hardest thing to get is land to shoot over, I think you are spot on with your thoughts on why they are not willing to give you shooting rights.

What I suggest is get onto the yellow pages web site and search for farmers in your area, then get a pen and paper and start phoning them.

your opening line should be, " sorry to bother you but its just a quick call to see if you have a problem with any vermin on your land at the moment or something to that effect"

You will get some farmers who will tell you that they already have guns covering the land and some that will say yes I have a problem with crows or pigeons ect.

Tell them you dont expect them to give you permission to shoot over the phone but would it be possible to come to the farm and have a chat, this way they dont know how old you are and you will have a greater chance of them saying yes when you arrive.

Another method is a letter, this can work a treat and if your a member of a shooting body then get its photocopied and include this with the letter, the land owner knows any damage is covered with insurence, which is good and he will know your serious about the sport of shooting.

I have shot for a while now and getting land is a major task but cold calling has worked for me and other members on the forum.

When you go make sure to take a bottle of wine and some chocolates for the farmers wife, it sets you off on a good foot and ensures you shooting rights for years to come.

good luck and keep us posted if it worked and let us know of anything that worked for you as other members like you will benefit from it.

The PM

The best advice i have yet to read on how to obtain land, in my view its spot on

Some realy top tips.The one that i find realy helps is to say you can supply a reference.Doesn't have to be a farmer,can be your boss,or a good friend.A lot of farmers are wary of letting a stranger on there land due to all the valuable equipment that goes missing.Also once you have got permission keep in touch with the farmer,let him see you around the farm on a regular basis,not only are you keeping vermin under control your a form of security.Once he knows he can trust you 100% you will be able to go where you want when you want. :oops:

In my experiance i found that picking up the blower was the better option.

My telephone manner is **** so god knows how i got anywhere to shoot, it seemed to work better than a letter though.

If you ring them up then you are more likely to put them on the spot, its harder for somebody to say "thanks but no thanks" over the phone than it is in a letter.

Im not saying try and verbally bully them or anything, just make it known that u dont expect to get shooting rights over the phone and maybe it would be better to arrange a meeting.

Dont be scared to try golf courses and that sort of thing, dont just limit it to farms