Safe To Eat?

countryboy

Hi all,

I have recently moved from my families small farm where I regularly shot and ate pigeon, I am now living in a small village where pigeon often visit the garden. My garden backs onto open fields and I see them feeding out there and in the neighbours gardens. Is it OK to eat birds that have been feeding on "bird food"? they are not tame but happily eat while you watch if you don't get too close.

I'm just used to eating things that don't like being anywhere near people, but fat healthy looking woodies are tempting.

Hi all,

I have recently moved from my families small farm where I regularly shot and ate pigeon, I am now living in a small village where pigeon often visit the garden. My garden backs onto open fields and I see them feeding out there and in the neighbours gardens. Is it OK to eat birds that have been feeding on "bird food"? they are not tame but happily eat while you watch if you don't get too close.

I'm just used to eating things that don't like being anywhere near people, but fat healthy looking woodies are tempting.

Yep, no problem at all, just don't let your neighbours who are feeding them, see you at it!

Surely, you must scare them away, under 'Natural Anti England's' rules. :lol:

What you are suggesting is illegal. If I suggested doing this, I would get a nasty pm from the mods and a threat to suspend my posts. (Which I got recently for a clever use on words.)

There is a solution! Shoot the birds but re-imburse the neighbour for the bird food.

I'm being flippant! no need to complain.

• 1 month later...

I assume you mean WOOD pigeon as apposed to ferral!!! :good:

I wouldn't eat a Ferral if it was the last food on earth! I would rather die than eat that skanky flesh :good:

Infact I think I would rather eat the neighbours cat :hmm:

Woodies will feed on regular Garden bird seed and local beech nuts and acorns etc I have YET to see one eating bread or rumaging through the bins for food.

LG

One word of warning about Woodies and seed, it is not a good idea to eat them if they have been eating the spill after seeding the fields. The seed is treated with anti-fungal and insecticide etc. I ate some years ago with out realising they had been eating this and got a good old dose of the "Trots"! :):good: