what is this and what has had it

pigeonshooter76

Can I be so bold as to ask why nobody has stated a Fox? Looks like head has been bitten off to me, but might just be the picture?

Those that stated BoP could be right, but it looks too clean a kill in terms of the lack of ripping and tearing. Mink is a good call, but again I would have said that the moorhen would have been dragged back to be feasted upon.

Fox on the other hand, chews head off and then leaves it because he is a sadistic ******.

SS :blink:

Can I be so bold as to ask why nobody has stated a Fox? Looks like head has been bitten off to me, but might just be the picture?

Those that stated BoP could be right, but it looks too clean a kill in terms of the lack of ripping and tearing. Mink is a good call, but again I would have said that the moorhen would have been dragged back to be feasted upon.

Fox on the other hand, chews head off and then leaves it because he is a sadistic ******.

SS :blink:

I would have said a fox also moorhens are meant to be quite bad tasting so it might have tucked in and had enough although mink seems the logical answer and there are loads of them outside my place. Between me and a guy at a woodyard over the road from me we trapped and shot 14 last year and 6 so far this year and the moorhens and coots have all gone, There used to be loads around

Looking at the plucked feathers, I would say a Sparrow hawk or a Peregrine, it seems to have been disturbed before it could finish the meal.

Mink maybe, but why did it not drag the bird into cover; they do not like to eat in the open.

It was definitely not a Fox as a Moorhen would be a small meal that the fox could finish off in a few minutes with ease, and if disturbed would run off with the Moorhen.

TC

are you sure someone hasnt blown its swede off with a centrefire ?

:angry::hmm: That thought crossed my mind, I must admit. :hmm: The plucked feathers suggst a bird of prey, a fox does not pluck birds, it generally eats the feathers. Found dead and eaten by rats is possible also. No experience of mink,.... yet.

Edited by bob300w