First Gun Advice.

tomtom

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice, if I may I recently got my SGC through and am thus looking to purchase my first **** gun. Everywhere I go to ask for advice I am told 'you'll be wanting an over under' but the problem is I don't think I do, I have only just got my cert but I have shot regularly rough shooting on rabbit/pigeon/rook control on land belonging to someone I know for the last few years, really getting in to it in the last year or so and have been shooting most weekends and free days. So while I am by no means highly experience I like to think I know a little, I have shot very nice Beretta O/U and a AYA S/S and I think I shoot better with the side by side. There is also traditional aspect of shooting a S/S which lots of people attribute to snobbery but heck - life's to short to worry about that.

So (getting to the point) I have been doing a bit of research as I said, my budget certainly doesn't stretch to something from one of the London Gunsmiths (far from it!) and even the few S/S offered by brands like Beretta/Browning are expensive in terms relative to their O/Us. I would like to keep it sub £1k if possible less so I have been looking second hand, I know that second hand guns vary greatly between individuals and have their own problems associated. Ideally I would like it to be from a Britian or Europe (Italy or Spain).

I have come across guns from Webly & Scott, BSA, MGC, can anyone tell me a little about these brands? I hear that BSA are now made aboard should I steer clear? I would also be interested to hear if there are any brands/guns that I haven't considered that I should, I would like something a bit smarter than most of the second hand AYA's seem to be.

So what would YOU do with the money, given my criteria (Which I am aware are asking a lot!)?

Thanks in advance anyone who takes the time to reply.

What a lovely prediciment you have..so many guns to choose from.

Unless you intend doing alot of clay shooting( in which case i'd recomend an O/U ) i go for a good SxS...

Nothing feels as good as a SxS on your arm as you walk round your shoot :lol:

Have a look around for a side lock, some nice Spanish ones available ... look on Guntrader and others for Ugartechea, AYA, Laurona and Sable etc... some good prices for good reliable guns.

I was advised years ago by a gunsmith to buy the best s/h Boxlock you could afford ..... but he also said if i prefered the look/ handling, any decent Spanish Side lock would be a just as good in the long run.... :lol:

Have a look and handle a few, at the end of the day the choice has to be yours.....but for the type of shooting you have i think a SxS would be ideal.

Dave :lol:

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it is quite a predicament :lol:

I think it will be something Spanish, they seem to be the best in the price range, I honestly cant explain why I want something English, but the closer to home the better, I am fine with something European but I think it a bit of a shame I can't find something from round about to fit the bill... ah well, so long as it shoots straight!

Thanks again :lol:

I'd go for an AYA or an old English boxlock ejector. I'd consider a gun that has been sleeved, as you effectively buy a vintage gun with brand-new barrels.

Guntrader is heaving with English boxlocks, as are the racks of most smiths local to me. I would pay particular attention to barrel wall thickness, chamber length (don't get caught out by 2" chambers on an old boxlock), oil damage to the head of the stock and shoddy work done to tighten the action.

If someone knowledgeable can accompany you, you may find a real bargain at a local firearms auction (or even a major auction like Holt's, in London).

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it is quite a predicament :no:

I think it will be something Spanish, they seem to be the best in the price range, I honestly cant explain why I want something English, but the closer to home the better, I am fine with something European but I think it a bit of a shame I can't find something from round about to fit the bill... ah well, so long as it shoots straight!

My opinion FWIW is hang on and keep looking and wait for a Beretta 626. When they do show up you can get them for less than your £1k limit and it will out last you and take any punishment you can give it.

Very capable and sweet handling SxS and the only one (or its newer cousins) that I would consider owning.

Ugartechea are a spanish firm making nice S/S boxlocks and sidelocks.

For a £1k you can get a box lock new, and for that you may even get a sidelock second hand. The S/Ls are very finely balanced guns, but for the sweetest handling, consider a 20g rather than a 12g.

Clayman

The AYA and the Berretta aren't mine, that belong to a friend who I shoot with. Anyway..

Its my first gun and I think I was being to pickie, I can always get rid of it if I don't like it.. I decided a Spanish gun was perfectly acceptable and much more suited to my price bracket, so today bought I Laurona side lock it kinda of 'spoke to me in the shop' its in very nice nick and at a touch under £400 I have a feeling my second gun might not be too long in coming. ;):D

Thanks for the advice everyone!