Hearing protection

All the cheap foam type ear plugs do the job. the slightly dearer ones like the Ceasefire and Sonic 2 are a bit better but for use with a centrefire rifle I would go for the moulded in ear type like Green Leopard.

I have 2 pairs of the green leopard ones that I use for Rifle shooting (.22 and 7.62) and one for clay shooting. The ones I use for rifle shooting do not have the filters in them and are superb.

The other pair I use for clay shooting and they have the filters so you can hear people talking (Allegedly) as I do not find any difference between the two.

I use to use the Sonic 2 type all the time but find that if I wear them for any length of time they become uncomfortable.

I have some Sonic 2s but also find them uncomfortable. I use the Quiex or Napier disposable ones and they do the job, even when using big-bore centrefire. I just keep several packs in the 4x4 and I am never without earplugs. Sometimes they are really grimy though, but they still work...

Edited by Baldrick

When i was a young gun you were conciderd to be a whoosy if you wore air defenders .I never wore ear protection for many years and have sufferd the consequences ,i have a hearing loss that the doctors have put down to exposure to gunfire . Just a word of warning if you are marking down the butts on the range .The super sonic crack of the bullets passing overhead is worse for the hearing than the bang of the gun . What ever ear muffs or plugs you wear will offer protection against hearing loss , What did you say . Harnser .

I just use cheapo ear plugs bought in DIY shops. They are the cone-shaped plugs joined together by a length of string. However, they MUST be very, very soft rubbery plastic stuff.

I've also got a pair of those horrible little ******** with a weird filter in them, that are supposed to allow you to hear conversation. They're made out of quite hard plastic and are ******* uncomfortable and hurt and irritate my ears :good:

Failing that, I have army surplus ear defenders, which are very effective, but make my head sweat and get in the way :yes:

When i was a young gun you were conciderd to be a whoosy if you wore air defenders .I never wore ear protection for many years and have sufferd the consequences ,i have a hearing loss that the doctors have put down to exposure to gunfire . Just a word of warning if you are marking down the butts on the range .The super sonic crack of the bullets passing overhead is worse for the hearing than the bang of the gun . What ever ear muffs or plugs you wear will offer protection against hearing loss , What did you say . Harnser .

:good: Protect your hearing no matter what the cost, like Harnser its too late for me as well. I have a permanant ringing in my left ear.

:D D2D

Here's a couple of things to concider, looking at the origional post.He said ear protection for zeroing, and I agree fully and get as much of it as you can.When zeroing we fire lots of shots in a short space and there is no need to do anything but shoot and concentrate and within your own ear protected world this is fine.

However when hunting your ears are your first alert to the presence of game in many situations.I have allways found in these situations that I have time once the ears have told me game is comming to screw one of thoes little yellow ear foam things into the left ear ( I am a right handed shoooter) and still get on the mark in time , with time to use.

The ear that takes the battering is not the one nearest the gun but the one furthesst from the stock.

Hunting in full ear defense just dont work for me , what do you guys think?

Agreed, which is why when out in the field I normally use the active ear defenders (Peltor).

Real ****** when you dig them out and find you left them on the last time and the batteries are flat.

I have some similar, not Peltor , but even better , the military isue them..................not to everyone but I found a way to get some , and besides the fact that they are brillywillly when zeroing they are cvrap when hunting.................

Here's a couple of things to concider, looking at the origional post.He said ear protection for zeroing, and I agree fully and get as much of it as you can.When zeroing we fire lots of shots in a short space and there is no need to do anything but shoot and concentrate and within your own ear protected world this is fine.

However when hunting your ears are your first alert to the presence of game in many situations.I have allways found in these situations that I have time once the ears have told me game is comming to screw one of thoes little yellow ear foam things into the left ear ( I am a right handed shoooter) and still get on the mark in time , with time to use.

The ear that takes the battering is not the one nearest the gun but the one furthesst from the stock.

Hunting in full ear defense just dont work for me , what do you guys think?

If what you say is correct then why is the ringing in my left ear, I am a right handed shooter?

I agree that when rough shooting or stalking then hearing is important, ear protection must be worn when zeroing or clay shooting.

:good: D2D

Just reread your post and yes my left ear is furthest from the stock :D

Edited by dusk2dawn

IMHO In ear plugs are fine for shotgun shooting, but for unmoderated rifle shooting you should be looking at cans not plugs.

I have 2 pairs of Sonic II's (as they got mentioned here) one pair must be 15 years old if they are a day and the others were bought for me at Christmas.

The new ones are made from hard rubber, almost plastic like material I can't get on with them at all.

The older ones seem to made from very soft rubber - I can wear all day long in complete comfort, after softening them in boiling water as recommended at the time.

There really is little point using both ear muffs and ear plugs.

With the muffs one there is little noise getting to your ears, so the plugs would just remove the last little bit of sound without offering any additional protection.

I use a pair of electronic amplifying Peltor muffs. They are brilliant, it allows you to hear normal and (actually go louder than normal) sounds, yet cuts out gunfire completely.

Much safer to hear what's going on around you as well.