Tail Stripper

red_stag88

Red, my old man used to use the string method...from what I remember you

nick round the base of the tail with a knife, cutting through the skin all the way round.

Take a piece of string with a free loop at one end, place the loop over the tail and sit it into the nick.

Tighten it up and pull like *******.....the brush should slide off the bone with a little effort.

String method works well. Another method is using two pencil width green sticks, or screw drivers. (may have some kicking about in the 4x4.)

Exactly like the string method. lightly cut the skin but dont cut into the fleshy part . When the skin is completly cut around the base of the tail place a stick top and bottom, squeeze together, and pull.

Hope this helps... :yp:

EF

STRING METHOD

dont use string its too thin it will just cut into the flesh, i use a boot lace. this also gives you something to grab hold of if its a difficult tail to skin

STICKS METHOD

this is the easy option they only need to be about 6'' long, cut around the base of the tail without cutting into the flesh,pull the skin back enough to get the sticks in, one on either side of the bone squeeze them together with one hand & pull.

job done :rolleyes: ( you could use a bag sealer available from your local super market its for sealing up part used bags of frozen peas etc & is small enough to carry in your pocket :yp: :rolleyes:

these things

502115.jpg

Similar to that of the last two posts; you only need one stick, say a piece of ash or hazel. Split it down the middle but only about half way. Then place the tail (which has been cut round and the flesh exposed) in the slit and push it down. Because the stick is still under some tension it is easier to grip. You then pull down and voila you have your brush.Failing that don't bother and throw it in the ditch.

P

Red, practice on a few rabbits first to get the hang of it. You need to slit the skin round the tailbone. Don't cut into the sinews of the tail as it will weaken it and you are more likely to leave part of the bone in the tail. Working very carefully with a sharp knife, peel back the skin until you have got about an inch of the bone sticking out, then pull as described.

Lorne Taxidermy Supplies (do a Google search) sell a tail stripper.

Red, practice on a few rabbits first to get the hang of it. You need to slit the skin round the tailbone. Don't cut into the sinews of the tail as it will weaken it and you are more likely to leave part of the bone in the tail. Working very carefully with a sharp knife, peel back the skin until you have got about an inch of the bone sticking out, then pull as described.

Lorne Taxidermy Supplies (do a Google search) sell a tail stripper.

Found their sight. Good looking, bloody hard to find what you want. I gave up in the end. I will just use the peg as TC suggested. Oh and I have tonnes of squirrels to practice it on too!