starting young

i have a young boy age(7) who is showing some intrest in shooting!!! every time i go out in the fields with the dog and the guns he always wants to come(but the wife does not agree with me) i belive its a good lerning curve and it never did me any harm as my grandfarther used to take me all the time

What Do You Guys Think?:)?

Get him out there :) ! It's a great education about responsibility, the countryside and the realities of life. It's also a damn sight better than sitting around in front of the telly or the Nintendo, munching crisps and swilling fizzy pop.

You'll probably get some priceless memories out of it as well, memories that will stay with both of you for the rest of your lives. My Dad started taking me fishing and shooting when I was about 10. We were always very close, but I think that this gave us a real bond at a time when a lot of children start drifting away from their parents, as you become a teenager and feel you've got nothing in common.

Even now, getting on for 20 years later, I don't think I've ever been happier than when we out shooting or fishing together. Think how you'll both feel when he takes his first pheasant, or lands his first trout.

My Dad died when I was 15, but looking back over those 4 or 5 years, they seem absolutely magical now, and I'll always be grateful for the fantastic times we had. He was on the peg next to me when I shot my first driven pheasant, the other guns were all friends of his, and I can still remember the cheering up and down the line, and the incredible feeling. It still gives me goosebumps after 17 years.

Ignore the wife and go for it. An introduction to fieldsports can easily turn into a lifelong passion, and it's one of the best gifts I've ever been given.

mate thats super,,, i totlay agree with you too i am from yorkshire so i was brought up with farming and fishing and shooting but she was brought up in a counsil estate in hans so the only time she probs saw a rifle is taking the till in asda,,,

I have been taking my son since he was 6 he is now 8 and does all the running around for me go check

that, nip back to the jeep for this etc etc ,he absolutely loves it and gets him out the wifeys hair and mischief and we can call her names without her hearing :)

I have been taking my son since he was 6 he is now 8 and does all the running around for me go check

that, nip back to the jeep for this etc etc ,he absolutely loves it and gets him out the wifeys hair and mischief and we can call her names without her hearing :)

lol quality :yahoo:

as NTTF says kids who fish and go hunting dont rob old ladies, they learn in all manner of ways the lore of nature

plus they get to sneak round fields with dad and the dogs which is Kool when your 7

:yahoo: when your 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . its still the case for me now and am nearly 24 :) Hope i shouldnt of grown out of sneaking round the feilds now !

My best memories so far of things iv done with my dad are of catching my first pike with my dad on a old spinning rod the pike only being 1.5lb but at the age of 7 it was like jaws ! And going shooting with dad and "the boys" with a bacon butty and mug of tea sure beat the heck out of sunday school ! The first shot i took at a pigeon at the age of 13 was great to I was at my dads side with a hammer action .410 and got it. will be keeping that .410 for my kids to have a pop with when they are old enough to ! ( that is should i have kids).

Have you asked the mrs exactly what it is she doesnt like about you taking your 7year old out ? is it his age or what your doing ?

as NTTF says kids who fish and go hunting dont rob old ladies, they learn in all manner of ways the lore of nature

plus they get to sneak round fields with dad and the dogs which is Kool when your 7

:yahoo: when your 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . its still the case for me now and am nearly 24 :) Hope i shouldnt of grown out of sneaking round the feilds now !

My best memories so far of things iv done with my dad are of catching my first pike with my dad on a old spinning rod the pike only being 1.5lb but at the age of 7 it was like jaws ! And going shooting with dad and "the boys" with a bacon butty and mug of tea sure beat the heck out of sunday school ! The first shot i took at a pigeon at the age of 13 was great to I was at my dads side with a hammer action .410 and got it. will be keeping that .410 for my kids to have a pop with when they are old enough to ! ( that is should i have kids).

Have you asked the mrs exactly what it is she doesnt like about you taking your 7year old out ? is it his age or what your doing ?

she dont want her kids killing animals !!!!!! god if only she new exactly what it was like at work (in afgan and iraq lol)

i have a young boy age(7) who is showing some intrest in shooting!!! every time i go out in the fields with the dog and the guns he always wants to come(but the wife does not agree with me) i belive its a good lerning curve and it never did me any harm as my grandfarther used to take me all the time

What Do You Guys Think?:)?

tell your wife from me lad.

its the best way of teaching a kid responsibillity and keeping em of the streets.

I was brought up on a farm and was shooting a 12 bore at 8 years old .

it never did me any harm I now take my grandson, clay shooting he loves every minute so i say DO IT.

I just wish that my dad had been into shooting etc when I was a lad I think it would have been fantastic. My dad and me did our bonding under the bonnet of a car as he had old ones that always needed fixing, taught me a lot for later life. When I have a nipper I'll certainly be taking him/her out with me.

Definitely do it, you don't want him growing up a mummies boy

Got to agree with all of the above, get him out there.

I have 2 boys, currently 12 & 15, and both come out with me on the ruff shooting, handling the dog, picking up beating gate openening :w00t: .

Started to take them fishing first when they were about 7 or 8 and just carried on from then. Mother donst object too much as they are out of her way, and she knows where they are on a Sat, not just OUT down the toem in hoodies ect. :w00t:

Have even taken them greenlaning and camping as well and they would prefer a weeks camping fishing & greenlaning to a week at a theme park :good:

Yorkshirelad,

My eldest daughter has been coming out with me since she was five. In that time she has learnt what is in season and what is not in terms of Game, pigeon and wildfowl. She knows how to dispatch a rabbit properly, the same with a pigeon. She knows though she has never done it herself, how to prepare a bird for the table, and why we shoot certain animals classed as vermin such as rats, rabbits and pigeons.

She happily watches Hare, duck and deer in the fields at the back of our garden. She has also learnt that by clapping her hands and making a loud noise that she can scare the pigeons off the rape and indeed the farmer has thanked her for it today. She has learnt paitence when out in the field, she has learnt knowledge and last week whilst out at a theme park with a "Deer Safari" she was the only person to put their hand up and asnswer the guides question's getting each one correct about species, male or female and why the bucks/stage have antlers and how long it takes to grow them.

She has recently learnt how to shoot a bolt action .410 at clays, but has been shooting my air rifle for sometime. Still only at paper targets, but until she is accurate enough I won't let her shoot live quarry.

What I am trying to say is that for a girl of eight she is "living" her life to the full, not rotting indoors watching tele or playing video games. From taking her out and not pushing her she has found an enjoyment to the point where she readily picks up a book and studies the animals inside and tells my wife and I facts we didn't know. It makes me proud to see this happening, and both you and your wife will be amazed at your boys progress in all things countryside if the wife wil let you take him out and you build him up slowly.

It teaches respect for animals, the countryside, guns, other people as well as healthy eating, fresh air, exercise.

Go mate, get him out there.

SS