Bisley running boar and running deer

Mungler

Went to Bisley with Flashman and met up with StuartP for the BASC practice day for running deer and running boar.

Basically it's 12 shots .22RF on a moving boar target at 70ish yards, 12 shots .223 and upwards on the running deer target at 100 yards (the target presents, you shoot 1 round and then it's off and running and you fire a second - no sticks, no stands and no bipods) and finally 10 shots .223 and upwards at the static deer at 100 yards - 2 shots prone (bi pod), 2 shots sitting (sticks), 2 shots kneeling (sticks), 2 shots standing (sticks) and then 2 shots off elbows on the bench (elbows).

Having never done anything like this before I was most intrigued.

Spent the first hour under StuartP's guidance getting zero back again on my shooters (incidentally Stuart was better equipped and organised than the people running it - he remembered to bring targets and a stapler and patch kits, tea and all sorts).

Flipping well enjoyed it. Not too bright on the boar but 44/50 on the deer and 95/100 on the static deer. If I can get a scanner working at work tomorrow I will stick the cards up - all fully electronic scoring and such gizmetry.

Didn't enjoy the 2 hour drive there or the 3 hour drive home mind you.

A big thanks to Stuart for the loan of his sticks and assisting (in the form of idiot proof stickers on my scope turrets) with my continuing mental block of which way to click.

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0889.jpg

Edited by Mungler

Markio, the August meet is the PW pilgrimage and you can't miss it.

I have never shot a moving paper target with a rifle nor shot off sticks (in a combination of sitting, kneeling and standing). Very new and very different.

Problem is, I am a shotty man at heart and if I get a full on addiction for the rifles then I am in big trouble.

I really fancy getting out and having a pop at foxy tonight as well - more than anything it's nice to get the zeros sorted and have confidence in the accuracy of the tools.

Indeed, the expanding stuff b*ggers the equipment.

We spotted the BASC girly rep doing the running boar with hollow point subs.

I am guessing that because she was quite fit it didn't matter.

If I were you, bring a looker with you and you can fire off anything you like.

Bagsy, interestingly the print out gives a clue.

When the deer first appears and presents it does so very close (within 1 foot) of the sides of the range.

As soon as you pull the trigger for the first (static shot), it's then off and moving.

You then have to reload, track and fire. Looking at the fire times between shots (on the print out) you have approximately 5 seconds between shots and before it's gone - no more than 6 seconds. I don't know the width of the range but reckon it was just under a bendy bus wide. Ask PIN, he could probably do the maths on it all.

Edited by Mungler

Even at a fast walking pace I reckon it would be pretty hard shooting moving targets at those distances. I wasn't aware this type of target shooting was available, I thought it was all static target.

Just shows how varied shooting can be as a hobby.

How fast are the targets moving?

Bagsy, interestingly the print out gives a clue.

When the deer first appears and presents it does so very close (within 1 foot) of the sides of the range.

As soon as you pull the trigger for the first (static shot), it's then off and moving.

You then have to reload, track and fire. Looking at the fire times between shots (on the print out) you have approximately 5 seconds between shots and before it's gone - no more than 6 seconds. I don't know the width of the range but reckon it was just under a bendy bus wide. Ask PIN, he could probably do the maths on it all.

Whilst we are waiting for pin I'll attempt a first order approximation:

A quick google suggests a bendy bus is around 18 metres long. Allowing 3 metres, and 1 second out of the 6 for acceleration then we have the 'deer' travelling 15 metres in 5 seconds, or 180 metres in 1 minute which equates to just under 11 km/hr. It is left as an exercise to convert this to mph if required.

Hope this helps,

Pete

...10 shots .223 and upwards at the static deer at 100 yards - 2 shots prone (bi pod), 2 shots sitting (sticks), 2 shots kneeling (sticks), 2 shots standing (sticks) and then 2 shots off elbows on the bench (elbows).

This was a good day. One chap did this without sticks over iron sights and still scored a very respectable 70-odd.

There was also some industrial machine gun noise coming from somewhere nearby but I don't think we were invited to that party...

DSCN0890.jpg

Trust me, THAT is good shooting, in fact matched with a score in the high 90's on the static would be anough to mix it with the big boys at the competition at the end of the year.

I can get my act together for the static, but my running shots seemed to get worse as the day wore on, unfortunaty they combine the 2 scores.

Even so, as always they are great days out and one of the very few oppertunities to shot that discipline without joining the BSRC.