clay shooting

perfect

I went clay shooting yesterday with the girlfriend both really enjoyed it, hit more than a missed so was very happy as iv never done it before,

my question is do you always get a bruised shoulder lol, i held the gun tight in ect but to me there was hardly any recoil pad on this 20g lincoln gun we were firing.

I went clay shooting yesterday with the girlfriend both really enjoyed it, hit more than a missed so was very happy as iv never done it before,

my question is do you always get a bruised shoulder lol, i held the gun tight in ect but to me there was hardly any recoil pad on this 20g lincoln gun we were firing.

you will bruise your shoulder if you pull the gun tight in.

I coach a lot of shooters first thing I tell them after safety that is.

Dont pull the gun tight into your shoulder.

if the gun recoils 60 psi

and you are pulling 60 psi.

Wallop 120 psi hits your shoulder

JUST LET THE GUN BRUSH YOUR SHOULDER,

no more problems,

Edited by peter-peter

The first time I went it took me three days to recover, and I had a bruise that resembled a slice of corn beef for about a month! And this was even with my considerable amount of padding (some would say blubber but not to my face :rolleyes:).

I never thought I would get used to it but once I had a few lessons with an instructor and learnt some good habits I was right as rain. In fact I hardly even notice recoil now.

Edited by paddykoi

If you are bruising the mount is the likely culprit. Many newbies put the gun out on the shoulder where there is little flesh between the butt plate and the bone. Try standing squarer and bring the gun into the shoulder pocket.

Also, look at your cartridge choice. Try 24g or even 21g rather than 28g. Heavy recoil and bruising will definitely lower your scores, so use lighter loads ( I shoot 24g at everything, you just don't need 28g).

Lastly, if the heel pad is the hard type, replace it with a ventilated rubber cushion, or put a recoil boot on the stock - rubber, beartooth, or sorbothane. You can also get Past recoil pads that go on the shoulder under the shirt.

No point in being uncomfortable enjoying the sport.

If you are bruising the mount is the likely culprit. Many newbies put the gun out on the shoulder where there is little flesh between the butt plate and the bone. Try standing squarer and bring the gun into the shoulder pocket.

Also, look at your cartridge choice. Try 24g or even 21g rather than 28g. Heavy recoil and bruising will definitely lower your scores, so use lighter loads ( I shoot 24g at everything, you just don't need 28g).

Lastly, if the heel pad is the hard type, replace it with a ventilated rubber cushion, or put a recoil boot on the stock - rubber, beartooth, or sorbothane. You can also get Past recoil pads that go on the shoulder under the shirt.

No point in being uncomfortable enjoying the sport.

forget all this.! just hold the gun right. dont pull it to your shoulder

changing pads does nothing and can make you shoot worse. believe me.

my last post on this matter,

Get an auto, the mechanism takes out a lot of the recoil.

Ignore everything your being told here including my advice it will all cost you far more in the long run than the one bit of advice that will save you hundreds of pounds which follows.

In either of my two hobbies i.e. shooting or racing (cars) instead of going out and buying flashy guns, recoil pads, low kick cartridges, special skeet vests with recoil reducers, special truglo sights to make you shoot better, and dozens of other remedies for mounting problems that shouldn't exist anyway go and book a course of lessons for you both 3 or 4 would do you and spend some time with a "good" coach, a rubbish coach will do more harm than good. He will make sure your gun mount is right, will check your eye dominance, advise on guns, and will have you using the cheapest cartridges in the club house. You will shoot better afterwards guaranteed.

However on your original question it is normal when starting shooting to get a bruised shoulder, after a month or so it won't bruise anymore. The shoulder somehow gets used to the abuse! And the 20g will punch more than a 12, unless your girlfriend is petite try to get her on to a 12g. A 12 with 24 or 28g loads is a pleasure to shoot.

Getting a briuse did not really bother me as i did not feel hurt but, the girlfreind was giving me her cartridges to shoot as she was hurt slightly which was good for me and bad for her :good: as far as im concerned the pains worth it, nothing more satisfiing than see the clay break especially at distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had my first lesson last weekend and no bruises. Having read through this thread, I can only assume that it was a good instructor. He spent quite a while with me making sure that the gun was right for me (ended up with a makeshift cheek pad) and that I was mounting it right. A count afterwards showed that I put 60 cartridges through the gun and the only physical problem was a sore left shoulder muscle from lifting the gun. Good fun.

After my last post stating i get pinched, i have since had a lesson from a collegue who is also an instructor (bonus cost ****** all) now all is sorted, i also suffered from a brused cheek bone every time i went, he has now showed me how to hold and stand the right way.

At first it didnt feel right, but now it feels more natural than ever, no problem with the shoulder or the cheek, he stated that i was trying to rifle the gun too much, rather than letting the gun control me, now it is an absolute pleasure to shoot, we often shoot 100+ carts in a day now, all that i seem to get is aching arms from lifting so much lol, but im sure that will come in time too :mad:

P.S - did you bribe your girlfriend to go with you, as mine is having none of it :mad: