Woman Killed by Cows

pavman

Coadling, I disagree. Like Owenwill I grew up on a dairy farm, and cattle are very predictable. I have only ever seen cattle stampede when they have been well and truly spooked, usually by dogs, and usually when new-born calves are in the fields. Any animal will defend its young.

well ive definately noticed the differance between breeds of cow,some i walk through,and their docile,and quite friendly,and some as i say ,go mental ,running around field just by seeing the lamp on in an adjoining field,and no way would i walk through them ,just in case,ive heard of cows breaking 5 bar gates when frightend. :blush: and we never had a dog with us just gun and lamp.

Having thought about my earlier post saying they are predictable there are obviously exceptions to the rule, as has been pointed out, a cow with a newborn calf is quite rightly going to defend it's young. One of the harsh realities in this job is that you can't let a cow become attached to it's calf,the sooner the calf's taken away the less likely the bond develops, occasionally we've had a cow calve during it's dry period a lot earlier than expected in a field away from the farm and in this situation we'd be very cautious approaching the mother.

Having thought about my earlier post saying they are predictable there are obviously exceptions to the rule, as has been pointed out, a cow with a newborn calf is quite rightly going to defend it's young. One of the harsh realities in this job is that you can't let a cow become attached to it's calf,the sooner the calf's taken away the less likely the bond develops, occasionally we've had a cow calve during it's dry period a lot earlier than expected in a field away from the farm and in this situation we'd be very cautious approaching the mother.

Quote from another news item on a death in 2005

Nevertheless, the fact remains that the general public should be aware that cows with calves, like all females with babies, are very protective, especially when someone is walking a dog. Whether the dog is on or off a lead, it can result in conflict.”

Ron Weston, a keen rambler who writes the Evening TelegraphÂ’s Country Walks column, said he believed the dog may have triggered the cowÂ’s behaviour.

He said: “Dogs seem to attract the animal instinct in cows.

“Farm animals protect their young and if you have a dog the cows will react.

“If cattle approach people with dogs the best thing they can do is let their dog off the lead and they are then more likely to chase the dog.”

The Health and Safety Executive says a “hand-ful” of deaths occurred in Britain each year as a result of people being trampled by cows.

Quote from another news item on a death in 2005

Nevertheless, the fact remains that the general public should be aware that cows with calves, like all females with babies, are very protective, especially when someone is walking a dog. Whether the dog is on or off a lead, it can result in conflict.”

Ron Weston, a keen rambler who writes the Evening TelegraphÂ’s Country Walks column, said he believed the dog may have triggered the cowÂ’s behaviour.

He said: “Dogs seem to attract the animal instinct in cows.

Farm animals protect their young and if you have a dog the cows will react.

If cattle approach people with dogs the best thing they can do is let their dog off the lead and they are then more likely to chase the dog.”

The Health and Safety Executive says a “hand-ful” of deaths occurred in Britain each year as a result of people being trampled by cows.

Didn't I already say that :good:

ive had a close shave with a dairy bull on our farm, i was in the middle of a field too with no cover when he decided to go for me :good:

Yes some bulls are nasty, as you say Fresian Bulls are one of the worst, we've got a big old Hereford bull that's looks the part but is soft as sh#t but all the same he keeps the chavs fom taking shortcuts through the fields :good:

Another from a farming background and agree with a lot that been said about cows and predictability.

As a general rule, and bear in mind this is general, dairy cattle seem to have a meaner streak to them than beef.

I have know Friesian, Holstein, Jersey and Dairy Shorthorn bulls, all were without doubt mean and moody, the Friesian was the worst and no one went in the field on foot with him if you were alone or had a dog anywhere near you.

I have also worked with South Devon, Hereford and Ruby Sussex bulls, all were quiet, though I would not describe them as soft or wholly predictable. The Sussex was the calmest though, could walk up to him in the field with a dog running all over the place, take him by the nose ring and lead him up the road easy as pie.

Cows on the whole are fine without calves, they will come up to you in a hurry some times, especially if you have a dog with you. Cows and calves are best avoided.

Dairy cows have their calves removed almost straight away, beef suckler herds are the worst as the calf stays with the mother for months.

As for rams, they can also be mean ****, one of our Suffolk rams is 100% mean 100% of the time, he has had me on the floor more than once and it hurts!

Jerry

Cows = grazers, dogs = predators that’s nature and especially if with young calves the cows will attack to defend themselves against a perceived enemy. If you’re ever caught out in a field with a dog and some bolshie cows my advice is don’t run, let the dog off the lead (country code is to keep them on a lead rightfully so in most circumstances) and let the dog run. Chances are the cows will chase the dog which should be able to outrun them and escape out of the field. As soon as cows attention is on the dog/s get the hell out of there! Another good reason to own a well trained dog.

If you’re at all nervous about crossing a field full of cows then DON’T cause sure as eggs is eggs they’ll know and come to you. Nice and easy, calm and collected is the best way to handle them.

Hope the H&S jobsworths don't try and blame farmer for the mishap however tragic the event.

this is the answer, let the dog off and then exit but keep facing them, I've had it close with dairy cows but only when I've had a dog with me. Half of it is curiosity rather than malice but as soon as you pick the dog up or try and protect it tou get in the way. Sad as people usually associate bulls as the danger but not cows. Happens ever year without fail

so what happens when their is a public footpath going across the field.

as i lived on a farm as a youngster

i always knew not to take a dog in a field with young calves in .

but it surpiseing the people that do not know this.

so is it down to the farmer to inform walkers e.g like by putting a sign on the gate .

its so sad when something like this happens .for everyone involved.

xxxxsuzy

so what happens when their is a public footpath going across the field.

as i lived on a farm as a youngster

i always knew not to take a dog in a field with young calves in .

but it surpiseing the people that do not know this.

so is it down to the farmer to inform walkers e.g like by putting a sign on the gate .

its so sad when something like this happens .for everyone involved.

xxxxsuzy

Technically you need to put up signage to warn walkers or to not use that field for "dangerous" stock, there are some specific rules though.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/farm/environment/r...f-way/index.htm

The Wildlife and Countryside Act, enforced by the highway authority, makes it an offence, subject to important exceptions, for the occupier of a field crossed by a right of way to cause or allow a bull to be at large in it. The exceptions are:

bulls not more than ten months old; and

bulls which are not of a recognised dairy breed and which are at large with cows or heifers

Any bull over ten months old is prohibited on its own, and any such bull which is of a recognised dairy breed is prohibited even if accompanied by cows and heifers.

[Dairy breeds are Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey, and Kerry.]

In general anyone taking a dog on a right of way is responsible for keeping it under proper control. If a dog is allowed to run around off the path, trespass is committed against the holder of the land.

There is no rule requiring a dog to be kept on a lead on a right of way but it is an offence to allow a dog to be at large in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep (Dogs (Protection of Livestock ) Act 1953). It is also an offence to allow a dog to attack or chase livestock.

We have 2 foot paths across sections of land, we dont put cattle or in one as the locals use it as a dog exercise ground 12 months a year. Just wish they would pick up the poo they leave behind!

Jerry

Common sense (sadly lacking in many people who choose to walk a canine predator in an area where cattle and calves are present) would tell me not to go anywhere near large livestock with young, especially if I had a dog with me. This lesson was learned the hard way. When I was 14 my uncle asked me to check a Larsen trap on the far side of his farm. I set off with my springer spaniel. The area we had to get to was obscured by farm buildings, then a wooded valley which we had to cross in order to check the trap. I had not noticed any livestock in the fields in that area for the previous few days, so off I went on my merry way. On beginning to descend the valley I noticed a few heifers amongst the trees on the other side. I whistled to Brandy and hastily tied a length of bale string round her collar to keep her out of harms way. It was then that Hercules decided to signal his displeasure at us disturbing his ladies. We had roughly a 70 yard head start on him as the most foul tempered, unpredictable fresian bull charged in our direction, with a murderous glint in his eye. I sought shelter in the safety of the barn, letting go of the bale string and running hell for leather I vaulted the 5 bar gate. On turning round I saw Hercules about 10 yards from the gate still going flat out. In a split second I was rapidly ascending the ladder up into the hay loft. Where I was marooned for roughly 2 hours untill the coast was clear :good:

Geese... soft **** in comparison.

The ones my Gran keeps like to think they are hard by running after you hissing and honking all manner of obcenities in your general direction. I just turn round and hiss back and they run away. Yes I have said boo to a goose. :good::good:

I've met some nasty geese but they can generally be dealt with easily enough.

FM :good: